Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Has anyone has problems with animal rescue groups?

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

Hi there,

My dh finally relented and agreed that we could have a small dog who likes our cats. So first I looked at the local shelters (on line)and they have almost no dogs and no small ones that are fond of kitties. Then I searched Petsaver and other animal searches that also list small rescue groups that send pets to New England from areas where there are too many, saving them from big kill shelters.

I wasn't originally thinking of a puppy, but I came across one who is a good mix for staying small and for liking kitties (and is adorable of course). I've never had a puppy, and I thought I'm 55 yo, if I ever get one now is the time. So I sent an email inquiry, and received a lot of encouragement and a suggestion that I book (ie pay for) a seat on the transport for the puppy for delivery on March 25. I was already to do it when I remembered that my friend Karen hadn't gotten the dog she originally wanted, and I thought it strange that they suggested that I pay a transport fee when I hadn't filled out an application or paid the adoption fee. So I reiterated that I wanted him and said I'd fill out app, which I did. I emailed to make sure she got it and she answered that she had. I was going to visit relatives for 2 days so I sent an email saying that and giving references so the application could be moved along even if I wasn't able to be contacted for 2 days. Nothing. No answer. Dog is still on web site, no "pending" sign or anything.

I'm wondering if I had paid the non refundable transport fee ($125!) I would have been told that the cute puppy was not available and to choose another dog. Has anyone heard anything like this?

Thanks

Kathy

Comments (12)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I haven't had this experience, but I have heard of it happening before. Also, there are people out there who have bogus sites and have no dogs at all...they just post pictures that they have found on legitimate rescue sites. Very sad for people who are really trying to save animals.

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

I hope it was not a scam. You were very smart in not sending the money. I hope you find a puppy real soon. One that you can get immediately.Have you tried posting a want ad in your local paper. Sometimes, you luck out and someone will have a mother dog that has puppies they are willing to give away. Anyway good luck on your search.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your answers. It didn't occur to me that there may not even be any dogs! Now I'm thinking I should contact the attorney generals of both states before March 25 because its possible they will close up shop if they aren't going to deliver on that date as promised. Its funny that we have a bit of a shortage of dogs here in NE. There are some lab and shepard mixes at the shelters, but I just don't want a big dog. I don't know tho, maybe I can get dh to move up to medium sized. We are more likely to find a local one then. The want ad is a good idea. I'll ask on Freecycle too.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Is there an address for the adoption place? If so, I would call the Chamber of Commerce in that city/state & verify...could be that since you were going to be gone a few days, it got put on back burner. Or could be scam like so many things now days.

We adopted our dog through a nearby pet rescue & we had to fill out paperwork & be "approved" ...only pd for the neutering/updated shots. She's been a real joy for us ...her 3rd yr here. Good luck, crete! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, she emailed me and apologized and said that she thought she had emailed me that my app was fine and i could have Uggie bear.
    So I've now sent the money and will pick him up (hopefully!) in Friday in Hillsboro NH. I'm supposed to help my mom on Friday so I'll go right to her town to her house and let her meet him. She's kindof excited about it. I hope it works out. Now I've got to get ready!
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the new family member! I hope all goes well and Uggie Bear has a wonderful new home.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great news! Post a picture so we can meet Uggie Bear when you get him home!

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

Soooo glad things worked out for you. What a happy time for you, a new puppy!! Yes, please post pics of Uggie Bear when you get him back home. Thanks for letting us know.

• jlily
    13 years ago

I've just had 2 cataract surgeries (I'm glad that I just have 2 eyes)and another "lump" removed! BUT inquiring minds want to know--where is "Uggie Bear"?? I haven't been able to do much-but I am here. JLily

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He's here! He's delightful, and he came knowing he's not supposed to pee in the house. The cat's are already tolerant of him. His foster mom called me to make sure he'd made it safely because he was the smartest of his litter, and her favorite. She cried when he left she said. I heard her husband in the background say "tell her to have him call us", lol.
    I'll post pics later today. They ar eon dh's camera and he's still asleep and I can't find it. Thank you everyone.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Glad they came through with a sweet little guy! Nice the foster parents were so loving & caring, rubs off on the kids or animals. My DD is adopted & she came with a diary & beautiful clothes & "what she liked & didn't like"(she was 6 weeks old!!!LOL 1 of last babies out here as Roe vs Wade had passed that Jan. took over 11 mos. to get her but well worth the wait! Glad your "wait was worth it" Enjoy! Jan

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Oh Kathy I am thrilled for you. I was worried there for a bit. Please post pictures first chance you get. Give Uggie Bear the great big hug for me.......:)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions