Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertrat1

Totem Run (conversations side)

desertrat1
15 years ago

Ok, so I have the other part over on discussions side. But I went rambling on and I thought it would be more appropriate on the conversations side.

Why now I'm almost there with my totem binge......I jinxed myself.....Yesterday I was taking one of my totems out to the garage to find the right pipe fitting. STOOPID me! I held it by the part the wasn't completely cured and well, you know, it dropped and shattered! 3 parts of it were saved because they were sturdier pieces of glass. So, that one I must wait on until I find mmore right pieces for it! Just WAITING----It's good to have time off to focus on this!

OK, so while I'm doing all this I did get out to my Getaway with Nathan on Tuesday. I was thinking it was going to be warm so I wore a t-shirt and jeans. You can see the Tehachapi mountains from my house and just beyond that is our land. Well, it looked clear so I expected it to be warm (we are having a warm week here in Lanacaster). AS soon as we hit the pass I thouhgt we might have fog. (Fog sometimes rolls in off of Bakersfield on the western side). Well, we have clouds, fog, cold and a little smidgeon of sprinkles! Thank goodness I had a sweatshirt in the car! Got some photos. Nathan was kind of excited about it. He plays a PS2 game (I think it's called World at War) and in it they have "Nazi Zombies". In the game they come out of the fog.....so it reminded him of that. He's so funny! He can imitate how the Zombies run which is crazy......He would tell me to take such and such picture. Our land looked really cool in the fog. So, I uploaded some on my shutterfly webpage. http://desertratsphotos.shutterfly.com/ I took a couple video's that I added as a widget.....I always have such a good time there. It's so serene and true.

Also, I don't know if any of you care of are interested but did you realize that 200+ miles up above the earth that the astronauts are installing today the S6 truss of the solar arrays to the International Space Station? It is the last one to go in. Anyway, whenever the Space Shuttle goes up I constantly have NASA TV going on my computer. I just am a fool for the stuff..it fascinates me to see science and construction going on in space. The views too are AMAZING!!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox......

Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: NASA TV

Comments (6)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Jules,

Thank you for enlightening me to NASA TV. I will show it to Hubs.

I too, have been on a creative streak. It is the most comforting thing I can do when I am worried. God redirects my mind over to the CREATIVE side. Since God is THE CREATOR I guess he is saying "This is what works for me Susie". My front porch looks like a garden gift center, the dinning room table is 'full' of totems and cake plates, my den floor is a glass-globbed mess, the kitchen table is covered with other projects, and the back porch table is full of tools and paints. Oh yeah, my laundry is not done, there are dishes in the sink, the dogs need a bath, my car inspection sticker is expired, I have 2" of grey roots showing, and the fridge is begging me for groceries. So I have to jump up and do some double-time house & shopping stuff. I will try and post pictures of my new items later. I did not get to look at your shutterfly pics yet.

Susie

• cait1
    15 years ago

Last night DH yelled, "Look at that!!" and, surprisingly, I did look out the window to see something falling to the earth. Don't know if it landed because there are mountains in the distance, and it was night time. It didn't look like a meteor and I've yet to read any news of what it was, but me & DH think it was space junk. Seemed to have sparky bits shooting from the end. HAHA that sounds a bit rude.

I like all that space stuff, too. I check Lubos Motl's blog site every so often and happened to catch the Mars robot thingy landing... like 10 minutes before it landed so just in time! That was sooooo cool!!! Didn't know about the NASA TV site. Thanks for the link.

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie, you are welcome. Hopefully you are watching right now becaue they are getting ready to deploy the last of the solar arrays. They are just waiting for sunlight (they go orbital sunrise to sunset every 45 minutes!
    Hopefully you were able to get all the mundane housefuntioning things done yesterday! :-) I love to be creative too!

Cait,
    You reminded me of an email that someone sent me awhile back about what they think meteors could be. Would you like me to send it to you? It's really funny!

Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know I know y'all are gonna shoot me cause I HAD promised. Well, it will be delayed about a day or two. I've been so busy with other things besides making totems....They are made, but their posts are not painted---AND it rained and got cold last nigth. It's been very windy and cold here all day long. SO, for the chance to make the paint dry correctly I am waiting......
    Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okie dokie y'all--I finally got 'er done---well, the totems. I have the flowers done but they still need their backs glued... I found a great spot to photograph each one--and each now has it's designated "stick" to display them in a yard. :-) AH, it feels so good to have them done. When I get them TOTALLY together I will have 13 of them stockpiled. Now, on to fine tuning all my drip system and timers and all connections.....
    Go see the totems on my webpage (scroll down past the videos to the 3/26 album and click underneath the pictures posted to see all of them!). Oh in the photos I posted a picture of my "office" where the computer is and our desk. Yep, it's a catch all but we get a lot of work done there! Also is a picture of my workstation for my totems (kitchen counter). Last Saturday my hubby Todd planned a (we never really named it) "Being a Man" night with some older men we know from church for Sean since he just turned 16. I still don't know what all was said since Nathan and I hightailed it out of there so they could have their "guy" time.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Jules' totems

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Jules, Your totems and flowers have to be some of the prettiest I have ever seen!!!!! Your creations have the fru fru sparkle that I love. EXCELLENT WORK!!!!! susie

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert