Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Had a great sale on Sat.

luvs2click
15 years ago

Sat. was the day of my craft sale and I'm happy to report that despite the economy, people are still spending money! I sold lots of bottle bugs and other items, the most exciting being my large fairy house (makeover dollhouse) that sold 5 minutes before the show even officially started. I had no idea how to price it and decided to ask $135, thinking I would have to come down, but would just see what happened. Imagine my shock when one of the first people through said they'd take it. I was ecstatic! Of course now I am second guessing myself wondering if I should have asked more, but I was happy with that. It was $100 profit on one item, and besides, I had a ton of fun making it. Guess what I will be watching for at garage sales this summer?

I had lots of comments on the bottle bugs, some people loved them and had to have more than one - others didn't "get it". They asked what were they for? did you put water in them for the birds? were they wasp traps? Some just couldn't grasp the concept of garden "art" or "funky"! The baby bugs I made for tree ornaments sold well also.

So that's the scoop - people must not be TOOO bad off - they're still buying! My total for the day was just over $500. I was a happy camper!

Posting pictures again just for fun.

Arlene

{{gwi:126614}}

{{gwi:126615}}

Comments (23)

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Doin the happy dance for you!! What a great day. I'm not surprised at all your fairy house sold it's totally Awsome!! Just remember to take pictures of each one you create.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Congrats Luvs!!!!!!!! Sounds like a dream to enjoy your work and get paid. susie

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Great job Arlene! I can see where your $135 was a reasonable price for the fairy house. It's one of those numbers that sounds so much better than $150 but is considerably more than $100.

If folks in Ohio are like they are here in Wisconsin, we can't wait for spring and the gardening season to begin! Anything that relates to that will probably sell well, especially now that people have their tax refunds. I'm glad you had a great day!

• mrsdutchy
    15 years ago

Congrats!! The house is wonderful!! Did you make all the furniture for it too? I love it!!
    Tracey

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Yeeha!! Happy for you and all of your sales! Loved that fairy house...glad you got a really good price for it!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

luvstoclick...FANTASTIC! Great to hear your news! Your work is so AWESOME!!! Great day for you all & your buyers! Spring has sprung! Jeanne S.

• leveta
    15 years ago

WOW how great is that...I'm so glad for you...But how could people not get bottlebugs....lol

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

As a realtor we have seen people get a buyer immediately as the home hits the market then go seller panics and says,
    " No I must have asked too little." So they up the price and the buyer goes on to a different house. Month s go by, they lower it and lower it til it is the price they asked for originally.Then when they still haven't sold it they have to start lowering it below what they asked originally then lower and lower til it gets way below what they wanted and they kick themselves in the butt.
    Your customer probably came in with adrenaline flowing looking for the perfect item and got caught up in the moment,not wanting ANYONE else to get that beauty and went home and is now kicking herself saying..."did I spend to much for my one of a kind pretty little fairy house ? Maybe I should paid less."
    There are name s for it
    Buyer's Remorse and Seller's Remorse.
    It's normal.
    tanya

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Arlene I'm so happy for you! Good job. I think your house price was reasonable, I hope it covered your time. May I ask what you sold your bottle bugs and mini bugs for?
    kathy

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! I got $15 for the bugs made out of large bottles, $10 for medium sized bottles and the little ones (maybe 3" tall bottles) made as ornaments sold for $5.00 each.

Tracey - yes, I made most of the furniture - except for the twig "couch" and "chair" in the LR - those I bought and made cushions for.

Arlene

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

C * O * N * G * R * A * T * S ! ! !
    Ms Arlene "Luv2click" Your Success makes me so
    Happy !!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing the GRRRRREAT NEWS ! ! !
    and
    some of your I D E A S with us !!!!!!!
    They are all simply D vine !!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless & Many More Happy S A L E S !!!!!!!!
    SusieSunshine

• mrsdutchy
    15 years ago

WOW, I'm impressed Arlene! You did a great job!!
    Tracey

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

I agree with Luna, $150 might have turned me off, where as $135 seems more "friendly". That's my bargaining term at garage sales, etc .... I say "Please give me your friendliest price" and they give me a price that's their best offer usually. Since yours was pre-priced, I think you made the right decision with the price.

And hey, it's art .... hard to put a price on it anyway. Like you said, you had lots of fun with your hobby creating it, so it's all good the way I see it!

Great job Arlene, I think the bottle bugs & other stuff are priced right too. I don't see any reason why you couldn't stay busy constantly with your great crafts. ~tenderlee

• cait1
    15 years ago

CONGRATS!!!

I am sooo happy for you!!! The Fairy houses are SUPERB!! Everything you make is so beautiful! You deserve it!

• dkline_2008
    15 years ago

I"m so happy for you that you did so well selling your things. The house was definatly worth the price they paid. I think you had the right price on it also. Congrats!!!
    Deb

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your great sale! That is an awesome fairy house too! Beautiful!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks y'all - you're all so sweet. Ya know, I get most of my ideas off this forum - that's the beauty of sharing!
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My photo site

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Wow that is so great! How much do you sell your smaller houses for?

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Cindee - the smaller ones sell for anywhere from $15 - $25, depending on size and details.

Here is a link that might be useful: More fairy houses

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Your houses are the cutest I have ever seen. My favorite is house 008.(-: I love that rusty fence around it(-: Do you sell them online?

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindee - I did try one on eBay last year, but it didn't do very well. They are also hard to package for shipping because of all the little details and dried natural materials on them. I'm afraid they will get damaged,so I've just stuck to local shows after that. That particular one was very unique. It sold last weekend at my show! I liked the little rusty scooter leaning up against the corner of the house. They all have some unique feather that makes them "my favorite"!
    Arlene

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    14 years ago

uh, I meant a unique "feature" not feather! *Smacks self in head*

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

(-: I understood that(-:
    I thought it would be hard to ship with the details. I always worry about shipping things. Some people get all weirded out if a piece comes off(-:
    I have shipped a few totems and one broke but the others made it o.k. I still worried till I knew they got there.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz