Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

We might be buying a house!

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

Keep your fingers crossed. Say a few prayers. Bob and I made an offer on a cute two bedroom house last night. It is a "short" sale where the owners owe more than the market value of the house and can't afford to keep it. The bank will have to take a hit on the sale or it will eventually have to go into foreclosure. We will have to wait for an acceptance from their bank. Our offer is contingent on them accepting our offer by April 30th so we can take advantage of that $6,5000 tax credit. I sure hope we can get it so I will FINALLY have a nice size yard to start filling with garden junk!

So say a few prayers that it goes through for us so I can become a garden junk fanatic too (and start using up some of the stuff I have collected over the years for garden junk).

Comments (47)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Oh Kathy!! That would be SOOOO wonderful! I'll be sending some extra prayers your way!! Good luck and keep us posted!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

HOW EXCITING !!!!!!!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you !!!!!!!!!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Kathy, I am super excited too. Tons of thoughts and prayers coming for you guys to get this house! Oh, that would just be the most wonderful thing. And after last year you sure deserve something special.
    (tho another move, ugh. but I bet one to a real HOUSE would make the pain worth it.)

hugs,
    Karen

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

JEEPERS, luna! You up & got married & now you're gonna try for a house! When you decide to GO, GIRL, you sure do move fast, woman! Way to go! Good luck & will keep you in my thoughts! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Hope it really is a short(as in small amount of time)sale so you can get the house you want!! Hope you have a couple of those gourds painted up for your yard!! You do such a beautiful job on them! This move will be exciting as it will be your own place!!You know, mortgage, repairs,taxes!!!LOL Well worth it tho!! Jan

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

OH Kathy I know how much you have been waiting to have a yard. SOOOO HAPPPY FOR YOU

Sylvia

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Saying my prayers right now!!
    Sure hope you can work on garden YARD
    junk soon!

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

oh, wow! good luck newlyweds!!

kudzu/cherry

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

That would be wonderful, Luna. Hope things work out for you. Hey! Today is the 30th. Have you heard anything?

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We haven't heard anything yet. The current owners did accept our offer but our problem now is waiting for the $#&* bank to make a decision since it is a "short" sale. I will keep checking with the realtor to find out what is going on. Keep your fingers crossed!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope the short sale turns into "short wait"! We had to wait for them to build our house & it seemed like a long wait, about 6 mos. I think. You should hear soon I would think, once someone is selling they usually mean business. Hope it happens for you soon. Jan

• amesly
    13 years ago

It's been a few days, did I miss it? Did you get your house? :)

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We stil haven't heard a decision. Can you believe it? Our realtor told us the bank that holds the mortgage on this house - Bank of America - is notoriously slow. We are still waiting but keeping an eye out for other houses. I will be bummed out if we don't get this one though. It had such a nice size yard ready for lots of garden junk. lol!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kathy, still pulling hard for you guys to get this house.
    My grandson is going thru same thing, tho with Wells Fargo bank dragging their heels on the paperwork. Been months and he's really getting irritated. Wants to move out of his apt when lease up in July. So I know how frustrated you must feel with the whole process.

Keeping fingers crossed,
    hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hoping that they finally come through with good news for you. I would have been a wreck if we would have had to wait a long time. We could have stayed in little house we lived in(1 of 6 little ones & 1 large house-landlady's) She didn't let kids in but changed her mind if we wanted to stay. I wanted to get house & then baby so glad it worked out. Hoping they stop messing around & get the papers in order. You need to get planning during the summer months when warm enough to put some pretties out!! Maybe you can raise your own gourds!! I was nuts about that 1 you gave as SS gift couple of yrs ago!! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I don't know what is wrong with these banks.
    Hope you get the house soon!
    Kathy

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Here's praying that BofA gets moving you would think they would want to get these houses off their books.

God Bless

Sylvia

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

DH does alot of short sales and foreclosures and it is SO frustrating.Many times it will go right up to closing and they change their mind,He has also had houses with 2 offers and when he gave them to the bank they said SORRY it sold at auction yesterday when the date was NOT up yet. Sounds underhanded to me like maybe someone is buying them on the inside. I think the bank will come out smelling like roses as usual.

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far we know that we are the only offer for the house. The house has a number of drawbacks for other buyers - it is very small, needs some cosmetic work and has only a 1 car garage. A family with more than one child wouldn't be interested in it but for a couple like Bob and I it is perfect. Now with the tax incentives over with, I'm sure it will be even more difficult to sell it. Our realtor told us that the current owner needs to sign off on something from the back regarding the short sale. Keep your fingers crossed!

We are so ready to leave this apartment! There is an elephant living upstairs from us. Occassionally a small thoroughbred visits that likes to run around and jump. Every so often they like to bowl and/or drag dead bodies across the floor. The elephant's favorite pastime? Standing on the one creaky floorboard over the living room and rocking back and forth. They must have speakers on the floor for their TV because I often feel like I'm living inside a drum. The living room is unusable because of the noise. The apartment manager doesn't answer their phone or return our phone calls. We haven't unpacked all our things because we plan to get the heck out of here ASAP. It would be so nice to have a house without someone living above us and where I could finally unpack my boxes!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope you seal the deal soon!! Not enjoyable to live downstairs when the neighbors are noisy,my MIL had that problem for awhile!! Some places floors seem very thin & you get to hear every noise. Hope you are heading to peace & quiet soon in your own little place where you can turn part of yard into outdoor room! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Luna, you give a very funny picture of what must be a very trying situation! The house sounds perfect. With your creativity you can fix up all the cosmetic problems over time, and truly that's half the fun of owning a house.
    And you need a garden! I'm hoping for the best, and soon.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Still sending prayers and good wishes your way...hope you hear something SOON!!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Man oh man...what a wait...at least we are waiting With You!!! I thought we were moving...as we have a huge golf course spa hotel, condos going in and our road will be SUPER busy, and our house is close to the road...only house in the whole neighborhood that is close to the road...impulsivley we bought it!ha! So I got rid of a whole bunch of "future" garden projects, and my unfinished Humpty Dumpty and Throne chair...dug up 100 plants(babies of mother plants) and then...we didn't move!!! Had a HUGE financial setback and even tried to find a smaller more affordable house but they were all really crappy so we decided to suck it up and stay put...now I am REALLY going like gangbusters!!!ha! And you will too!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Hoping to hear good news for you Luna Kathy!

Calamity, maybe if you line up a bunch of toilets on your front yard the new condo complex will buy your house at a premium! Or perhaps a sound deadening privacy fence. Just a thought.

Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It doesn't look like we are going to get the house we put the offer in on. The bank is taking too long dragging their feet. It's gotten so the selling realtor, won't even return our realtor's phone calls. So now we are on to a different house. It is ugly, on a fairly busy street and needs work. But it is cheap! Very cheap! And it has potential. Bob and I don't mind the busy street. We have lived in noisy neighborhoods before. In fact, I grew up on that same street but a couple of miles east of this house. It doesn't have a big yard but one that is manageable. We are going to go look at it tomorrow and give it some serious thought. Keep your fingers crossed!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope this one is a keeper!! A lot of times a little paint & few repairs can make a big difference. An ugly duckling can turn into a beautiful swan in the right hands!! I know you are talented so that will make it so much easier! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

GOOD LUCK!! Hoping you find just the right place to call home! And Sunny is right....a little (or a lot) of work can make anything beautiful!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

YUP, GOOD LUCK, luna! A "manageable" yard is a good thing! And, yup, paint can do wonders! Hope it works out for ya both! (I'll wave my magic wand...see if that helps!) LOL! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:126859}}

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Hope your dream comes true! God will find the perfect house for you of course you have to look, LOL

Sylvia/Nanagrandms

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We went to look at the house again. Last night I was picking out paint colors to go with the ugly stone facade. Heck, I was even looking at outdoor light sconces to replace the ones hanging but a wire by the front door. lol This time I went looking around in the basement and upstairs. I was happy to see a toilet in the basement (even if it is in a corner with no walls around it). lol We were talking about knocking the walls out between 2 small bedrooms to make it one bigger bedroom. The house was built in the 1930s. The living room is a decent size. The kitchen isn't bad. Even the bathroom is a decent size. But the bedrooms are very, very tiny. There is a bigger bedroom upstairs but steps and I don't get along. The basement for such a small house was remarkably big and roomy. Enough space for a crafting area! There are some nice plants and plenty of space to garden. Bob and I will probably put an offer in on it. Keep your fingers crossed!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

X-X X-X X-X
    That's crossed fingers fyi!!

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Oh my fingers are crossed! Now you can go Garden Junking with a purpose to find the things your need to spruce it up to your liking.

Nanagrandma

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhh--- I was wondering what happened - I'm glad someone brought this To the top again. I hope that house is near me !!!! LOL

I found that if you are "of a creative nature" ( like us - LOL ) you can make anything work the way you want it . We also have a big bedroom upstairs ... with a huge closet - but we can't use it ... cuz of my midnight PeePee runs .
    ( stairs are starting to be my enemy,too ) Our bedrooms downstairs are very small - so are the closets ... So the upper bedroom has become a "guest room" / storage place .
    I don't think I'd ever have an overnight guest in my life ..LOL.. but it's there !

Good luck on the bid -- keep us informed !

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woohoo! We heard word today that the bank accepted our offer! We put in an offer that was almost $4,000 less than their asking price and is $26,000 less than what we offered on the other house! This one needs more work but it will be fun to remodel the way I want things. We go to sign some paperwork tomorrow and then start the buying process. I can't wait to have a craft area in the basement and a yard to put garden junk in!

Toomuchglass, it's in West Allis near 60th & Lincoln Ave.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OH BOY {{gwi:126860}}

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Awesome Kathy! Noe you get to go through the process of rading and signing ALL that paperwork! Fun fun fun....I know this is a great thing....you've been talking about..."if I only had my own place" for awhile now......
    Hope all goes smoothly..
    Love, Jules

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo! I'm saying a prayer as I type, I'm good at multi-tasking. There is nothing like having your own home, no matter the size or condition. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Frou

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I'm very excited for you and Bob. Remember that you ahve to post pics as you renovate!

I prefer older homes for a variety of reasons. Ours has needed so many repairs lately that I almost changed my mind then I met someone with a brand new home with a much longer list of problems!

Hope the inspections go well and you can move in soon!

Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

WOOHOO!!! YEEHAW!!! YAY!!! And every other excited word I can think of!! Great news...so happy for you and Bob! I know you'll be glad to have the process over and move into your own place and be able to make it your own!

So excited for you both!!

~M

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kathy, I am just thrilled for you and Bob. And excited we get to come along in this new chapter of your life!
    By the way, you might want to check out the Forum linked below. A gal I know is renovating some rooms in her small home and she is on this Forum, so I've been lurking occasionally. The folks there seems nice, and helpful.
    At the top of that Forum, there are links to several others that might interest you.

You are finally going to have a garden! Wooo Hoooo.
    That is the best part.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: small homes forum

• kirkus
    13 years ago

It's still Friday here on the West Coast. Kathy, how did it go today? I was thinking about you two all day long. Did you sign papers? Is it a go? We're dying to know and soooo excited for you! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We signed some papers at the realtors now we are going through the finance process. We are only borrowing $25,000 for the house. I took Bob to the IRS office to get his last 2 years worth of tax returns (he loses them every year!)so now it is setting up an appointment with the bank. It looks like we won't close on it until around September 1st. Which won't leave me much time to whip the garden into shape.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Glad it is looking up for you & only about 6 weeks away. Soon Bob & you will be enjoying peace & quiet in your own place! The basement can be a big plus especially if you get extremely hot weather, they tend to be much cooler than upstairs so you can work on crafts & maybe have a sofa & TV for hot days or napping when you get tired crafting totems! LOL Jan

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

SOOOO HAPPPY for you. I know you have been wanting a place of your own and make it your own you and Bob will do Here is praying that the process goes smoothly and God Bless You both!

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

So glad you've gotten the papers signed!! Now, on to planning and packing I guess.....YAY!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy, This post-messages is getting long but in case you don't see that I posted message for you go to" Luna-Kathy "that has stuff that might get you the gov't homebuyer credit so you will get a big savings on your home. Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know y'all are probably sick of this thread by now. lol I don't want to start a new one until we are done with the purchase of the house. The bank hired someone to do a sales analysis on the house and it looks as if they think it is an awesome buy too. We are hoping to close sometime next week. I have so many ideas for the house already, I just hope we have the energy to carry them thru!