Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

My mother passed away today ...

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

The phone rang at 6:00 this morning. Both Bob and I were wondering who it could be. No one we know calls us that early. Bob answered the phone and I heard him ask who it was. He handed the phone to me and said it was Fran Woods (short for Franciscan Woods - my mother's nursing home). A nurse told me that my mother passed away this morning.

I wasn't surprised. My mother suffered a massive stroke that put her into the nursing home. While there, her intestines twisted and the surgeons wanted to perform surgery and she would have none of it. It managed to work itself out and she was sent back. That was a couple of years ago. She had a bad heart and was in constant pain.

But the real reason I wasn't surprised was a conversation I had with her a couple of weeks ago. She said my dad Ralph, her brother Dan, her boyfriend Barney and her little dog Bitsy all came to see her. She was so distraught because I forgot Bitsy and my mother said she called the nurse asking her to call me to pick her up. Those 3 people and the dog are all dead. When she told me that, I really expected her to pass soon.

She passed away quietly in her sleep.

She was a loving and remarkable woman. Extremely funny and caring, we grew up having a lot of fun despite my alchoholic father's absence in our lives. Our family didn't nickname her the "Happy Lady" for nothing! She was the glue that held our family together. She was our encyclopedia of family knowledge remembering everyone's birthdays and anniversaries. She helped and mothered everyone. I remember all of my brother's friends when he was a teenager calling her "Mom." She was a wonderful mother and best friend.

As our roles reversed late in her life, where I became the caregiver, I learned just how difficult her job was as a caregiver not only for us three kids but my dad, her parents and finally her boyfriend as well. I found that I couldn't come close to having her unlimitless compassion, deep love and unwavering strength.

I am so happy that I got to spend her last birthday with her and we had a fantastic visit. I'm also glad that JT came along so I could get that last picture of my mother! She and I talked and laughed over the Junk Train and JT. I showed her the Junk Train notebook with everyone's pictures and comments. She really enjoyed it. So you all helped brighten her day and provided a wonderful memory of our time together!

Here she is at my nephew's wedding about 6 years ago.

Here she is with JT on her 80th birthday on April 18th.

{{gwi:126961}}

I love you and miss you Mom! Give Grandpa and Grandma, Aunt Sophie, Uncle Ellery, Dad, Barney, Uncle Dan and all our late pets - Bitsy, Jake, Beau, Sassy, Sammy, Fritzi, Sue and even Killer a big hug and kiss from me!

Comments (42)

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

How sweet . What great memories you have !!! You're lucky to have had a great mom for all these years. She touched alot of lives. I can just picture her "upstairs" and being the life of the party and being the same "mom" up there as she was down here. ((((( hugs ))))))

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

I haven't posted in awhile, but...

Kathy, this is lovely! Everything you have said about your mother is wonderful!

I was going to say "I'm sorry for your loss", but I believe your mom will always be with you.

Thank you for sharing her with us. What a great lady she was!

God bless you and help you get through this difficult time. Keep the happy memories of your mom close to you heart!

Love, Sandy

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her but she will now join the others that passed before her.

• kirkus
    14 years ago

Kathy, Thank you for sharing your heart. Thank you for sharing your mother with us. She sounds like a neat lady. I love the memories you shared. God bless you! You're in our prayers during this time. Love, Kirk and Carol

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

luna ... when I saw the subject of your posting I immediately thought of that wonderful pic you just posted lately of JT posing with your Mom!...what a great sport she was to share in our Junk Train adventures.

You have written a beautiful legacy for your Mom...please copy & keep it in a memorable place ... so that you can go back & read it over the days, months & years to follow.

As a caregiver, the time you spent taking care of her reminds me of this Robert Browning poem:

"Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be,
    The last of life, for which the first was made:
    Our times are in his hand
    Who saith "A whole I planned,
    Youth shows but half; trust God:
    see all, nor be afraid!"

God bless you, luna (Kathy) & your Bob & family, as you say goodbye to your Mom. From your GJer friend, Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Lovely tribute to your mom, Kathy!! Thanks for including a pic of her when she was well! She looks like a very sweet lady!! Treasure the memories & be glad you had a wonderful mother like her. Prayers for you & Bob & rest of family!! Jan

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Kathy I'm so sorry for your loss. And what a beautiful tribute to your mom. She sounded like a wonderful person and now she is no longer in pain and is able to be at peace. My heart goes out to you.

Donna in Florida

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Kathy, I immediately thought of the picture of your Mom with JT that I'd just recently put in JT's album, and reading your post brought tears to my eyes.
    There's not much I can add that the others haven't already said. A special lady, a wonderful Mom, and a truly lovely tribute you wrote for her.
    My heart goes out to you over such a great loss.
    love, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Kathy~

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I too thought about the picture of your visit with your mom on her birthday and the wonderful time you had. Your wonderful memories of your mom will bring you a lot of peace in the days to come. I'll be praying along with everyone else for you and Bob. God keep you.

Love,
    Marlene

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Tears and prayers for you and your family!
    I have had those days of 'expecting' the death
    of a loved one-as caretaker for both my parents and
    for Bill.
    You know that your taking over her 'duties'
    was appreciated by her.
    I, too, remembered the last photo you showed us!
    You said wonderful things about her, and remembering those things will help you through this.
    Hugs
    Nonacook

• debby_md_z7
    14 years ago

karen&bob
    blessing coming
    your way.
    thank you for
    sharing your mom
    with us.
    debby

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I understand your great loss.
    I have Faith in your Mom's great gain!!!
    Blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever. . .
    So Be It.

For Kathy-

There's a vacancy in my heart today,
    because my Mother went away.

Christ took his finger and lifted my chin,
    assureing me with His loving grin.

Your Mom will not be far from you,
    She'll be with Me, and in your heart too.

Just think of her and she'll be there,
    reminding you that she's in My care.

susie

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Thanks Luna and Im sorry to hear of your loss.I have tears in my eyes at the photos.Both my folks are 80.I take care of my dad and mom lives alone,they are divorced. Its a special thing to survive alcoholic parents. My dad too was one and was gone for 30 years of my life.But he is still dad and he is still alive and I know that most people would give ANYTHING for just one more hour of time with their loved one.
    Peace and prayers ,So I am there for my folks.
    Tanya

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Kathy, thank you for sharing about your mom. Thank goodness for mothers! My mil was almost 90 when she died almost a year ago and we still miss her terribly. But we are grateful that we had her all these years.
    My mil also saw loved ones who had died before in the couple of weeks before she died. I'm strangely pleased that your mom saw Bitsy too, I'd like to be reunited with All my loved ones!
    Take care of yourself. Love is forever.
    kathy

• leveta
    14 years ago

So sorry for your loss Luna. God Bless you dear heart...

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Kathy,

I am so sorry for your loss. What Tanya said about doing anything for just one more hour of time is sooooo true. It sounds as if your Mom has now passed the baton to you. You are in the race to take care and nurture those around that need you. It is interesting though about those near death to talk about seeing loved ones who have already passed on. When my Grandpa was dying he would talk about others who passed. The hospice nurse said that that was normal. It's interesting though.. It sounds like she was a very wonderful woman.
    You are in my prayers!

Love, Jules

• sugarmaple
    14 years ago

Oh Luna - I'm so sorry about your mom. I'm glad she went peacefully - that's a blessing in itself, especially since she had been in such pain. God bless your mom and your family. Colleen

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear about your mother, Luna. My sincere condolences. She sounds like a great lady, thank heaven for people like her, the salt of the earth. You were a good daughter to her. And the beat goes on. I cried at the picture of her with JT, she looks so much like my own dear mother in that one, gone 7 years this month. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Donna

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

She raised a wonderful daughter whom I consider my friend. God bless you and your family during this time of deep loss, Kathy! Beautiful pictures of her, I can see that personality coming through! Thank God for strong women like her! And thank you for sharing her with us. Love and hugs ~tenderlee

{{gwi:126962}}

• misselaineous
    14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. What a beautiful tribute you have written to a lady who was obviously loved. You are in my thoughts and prayers. *elaine*

• princess_mimi
    14 years ago

I know that this is a sad time for you but thank you for sharing your Mom with us. i was surprised to see how much she looks like my husband's Aunt Edie! She is a life of the party kinda girl too!

I'm glad that you have faith to see you through. I'm sure that all of those that you named and a whole lot more folks and pets are glad to see her and will keep her company for you until you're reunited in the (distant) future.

((((( HUGS )))))

~~Mimi

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Luna my prayes are with you.

Kat

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words of condolences! It means very much to me ... more than you know. Even though my mother's death wasn't a big surprise, it is still painful and leaves a big void in my life. When we went to pick up all her things on Friday, it really hit me that she was gone. I like to imagine her somewhere beautiful and warm, where she is without pain and in perfect health. She is surrounded by friends, family and loving pets. Seeing her empty room, kind of made that image fade. Reading all your kind words was a great comfort. Thank you!

Hugs,
    Kathy

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

"She is surrounded by friends, family and loving pets."

Oh Kathy, I hope you don't let that image fade! Believe in it with all your heart. (I do.)

hugs, Karen

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

Dear LLF ~ Kathy :
    I 'm sorry I'm late sending Tons of
    L O V E & Prayers and Special Thoughts

What a Sweet Post... How Truly Blessed you are that
    your Precious Moments with your Loving Mother will
    be ALWAYS ~ Fresh on your mind....
    & what a Special B L E S S I N G ~ That
    you had her her on this earth... & Yet you
    already realize....
    you will get to spend E T E R N I T Y ~ in Heaven
    with her with God & Jesus !

That is so Comforting !
    That make Life Workwhile.... & in the time
    of loss for you ... it can be turned around..
    in to.... Times of Loving MEMORIES & BLESSINGS !

God Bless You My Neighbor & Friend !
    You are Always In My Thoughts & Prayers !
    Your
    Garden Junk Friend
    and Neighbor
    SusieSunshine

* * * God Loves You Ms Kathy & so do ALL of US ! ! !

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy .I just got home from vacation and I wanted to sent my love and prayers to you.I'm so sorry your mother passed,but it sounds like she was ready to go to her loved ones.She sounds like she was a wonderful mother..and I enjoyed the picture of her with JT.LOL Joan

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

I'm still waiting for her to tap on my window again, Kathy!

{{gwi:76362}}

~Sandy~

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again ladies for the sweet condolences! I really missed her on Mother's Day. And I sure wish I could have showed her pictures of JT's adventures at the Mitchell Park Domes and out with my friend in Sheboygan. She would have gotten a big kick out of them.

Sandy, I think she is too busy goofing around with my email to be tapping on your window! It seems that all the friends and family I have sent an email to about her death never get my emails! She has been one busy lady, let me tell you. Now I'll have to see what she does with the US Postal Service!

Stop it, Mom! Take another sip of your cocktail and pick on Randy or Cherie (my brother and sister) instead!

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

This is great!

I have to tell you, Kathy, when my dad died, he came back and played tricks on me! The wildest one was while I was putting my brother's monogram on a wooden box I made for a Christmas present. I practiced the letters on paper to get them just right...my own design. When I got the monogram just right, I showed it to Jim before copying it to the box. He said it looked good, so I outlined it on the box and showed him again. He said, "That looks great...but they aren't your brother's initials...they're your dad's!" The initials on the paper were my brother's! The initials on the box were indeed Dad's!

Then, one evening, I was eating stick pretzels from a box. I pulled out 4 pretzels stuck together in the perfect form of an H...with 2 of them forming the left side of it. My dad's name was Henry. I knew he was there laughing!

Things happened...funny things...that didn't have any other explanation! I was deeply depressed over losing my dad, and it helped get me through. Several members of my family are very psychic...me for one!

When my brother died...more stuff happened! LOL Sure kept me on my toes!

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

luna...thinking of you today again ...rainy and I was feeling kind of dumpty today...but I went outside and worked in my gardens (such therapy)...God's beautiful creations! I came in tired & damp...took a hot bath & still feelin' bad...just plain "tired of being tired." And then I knew why, 6 yrs. ago a this time, my Mom passed away. At that time, I was so angry with God because my Mom was suffering so much...and she loved Jesus with all her heart...I had a hard time with "life being fair" stuff...cause I was raised by my Mom & Dad to give it your best shot & all will be good! But, praise God, I knew my Mom was in a better place for her and where she wanted to be...

I think she was holding out to die on my Dad's date of death, May 18th...but she didn't quite make it. Like capecoder, my Dad's passing was such a loss & I also would see his antics through these yrs...I can't believe it's almost 12 yrs ago. He was that person that I could count on for ANYTHING at anytime...I knew he would always be there for me...in thick or thin.

When I was very sick (and had never been sick or hospitalized, except for having babies), my Dad came back to me...at the end of my bed...he gave me that grin (that always made me smile)& I felt his hug...and then he was gone. I knew then that I was going to be around for awhile...and he was helping me thru it all.

Many times, luna & cape, I also see signs of Dad & Mom...and I feel very, very blessed & happy that they bring back such good memories. He's ridden with me across the "new bridge" that was built to our old neighborhood shortly after he died.

Just thinkin' of you, luna...and rattling on, I guess, but I am so happy that you are sharing your Mom with us GJers. Will keep you in good thought and prayer. Jeanne S.
    This is the last photo...giving Mom a hug...oh, he had such good bear hugs! ...my Dad died a week later (unexpectedly)...ahh, good memories!
    {{gwi:126963}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with mischievous relatives! Sandy, your story about the pretzel reminded me of my Bob's experiences. His cousin died when he was only in this 30s back in 1991. He fell asleep at the wheel and his truck flipped over. He was quite a character from what I have heard! He and Bob were good buddies. They often went out to eat together and lord help the restaurant if they got bad service! Mark was known to bend the tines of a fork to resemble the "finger" and leave it on the table for the bad waitress to find.

Just about everytime Bob and I go out to eat, Bob's fork is misshapened. The tines are always curved this way or that. Bob holds up the fork, looks up and says, "Thanks, Mark!" He then proceeds to straighten out the tines.

JeanneS, that is such a great picture of your folks! They look like they are so much in love! I can imagine when you see a picture of them, it brings a tear to your eye. I know it did that to me! Hopefully they are showing my parents the ropes and having a great time of it.

Sandy, between your dad and my uncle, God is probably getting pranks pulled on him all the time!

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

~ ~ ~* T H A N K S ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Gals... for all the
    Reminders.... of ya'll sharing the Memories of your
    sweet families...

cause mine passed away ~ On to HEAVENLY HOME ~
    long
    long... ago............

but their sweet sweet memories... a ALWAYS with me
    and
    Even more Special.... just thinking of
    being
    re u n i t e d ~ with them ~ one day ~ in HEAVEN ~
    oh
    man oh man !!!!! What A ~ G L O R I O U S ..... day that will be !!!
    When we ALL See ~ JESUS ~ We WILL ~ S I N G ~
    and
    S H O U T ~ " V I C T O R Y ! ! !"

yeeeeeeehaw !

God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    will be

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jeanne, what a wonderful photo! I loved seeing it. And reading about the stories from all of you. It makes me feel good, tho causes a tear or several to fall as well.

I'm so close to my Dad, and always have been, so I dearly hope he "stays with me forever" as some of yours have. I lost my Mom 8 yrs ago, and I get Pennies from Heaven from her. I became a firm believer in that the very day she died! As I left her hospital bed that last time, in tears, there lay a shiny penny by my car door. I've found around 30 over the years, at times and in places that left no doubt they were from her. It really is special and I've saved all of them in a little rose vase she had.
    My dad loves telling jokes so much that he must've been a stand-up comic in a past life. Or will be one when he gets to Heaven. LOL But sounds like there is a lot of laughter up there now.
    Thank you ALL for sharing.

hugs, Karen

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Pennies from Heaven, Karen that might explain something to me. I've been finding pennies all over lately. Last one was yesterday on my front porch. Not sure who could be leaving them, lol. But its strange. I always notice and pick up pennies but there have been a lot this past week. My friends daughter who died last May has visited her and also HER daughter and I've felt sad that she didn't come to see me. Who knows?
    katny

• meriaux2210
    13 years ago

My mother passed away this mothers day 2010. She was my best friend. She had a massive stroke. We had no warning she was only 62 years old. I never new a stroke could be so devastating. I had a premonition five days before she died which makes me feel guilty. I just knew something was terribly wrong. My mother always embraced my psychic ability ever since I was little. I was the only one out of my brother and sister and my entire family for that matter who had ability. I'f it would not be for her I would not be helping others who lost their family. She was the only one who ever really understood me and was like me I feel so different from the others and more alone now then i ever did. If anyone understands what i am going through i sure could use some comfort.

• meriaux2210
    13 years ago

In loving memory of my mother Mary born July 14th 1947 entered
    into Heaven on May 9th 2010 mothers day.

Safely Home
    I am home in Heaven, dear ones;
    Oh, so happy and so bright!
    There is perfect joy and beauty
    In this everlasting light.

All the pain and grief is over,
    Every restless tossing passed;
    I am now at peace forever,
    Safely home in Heaven at last.

There is work still waiting for you,
    So you must not idly stand;
    Do it now, while life remaineth-
    You shall rest in God's own land.

When that work is all completed,
    He will gently call you Home;
    Oh, the rapture of that meeting,
    Oh, the joy to see you come!

I don't know who wrote this poem but, it touched my heart. I miss you mom you were an incredible woman im so glad you were my mother! Love always your daughter Cathy

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Meriaux, I am sending you hugs and prayers.
    I Lost my Mother in 1995 (86), my Dad (and nephew (35)the same day,)in 1997 (88) and my DH in 2007 (72). It can be lonely..... But good memories....
    Nice poem.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Meriaux....I am so very sorry for the loss of your mom. It is very emotionally draining and we go through so many different stages when we lose our parents. I lost my dad seven years ago, and some days it seems like just yesterday. You shouldn't feel guilty about having the premonition....if it was a massive stroke, chances are, you couldn't have done anything about it. I am sure your mom is in a better place and would want you to grieve for her, but also to begin to rebuild your life without her. It will take time, but you will get there. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

I was surprised to see this thread come up again. I see why, now. I am so sorry to hear about your Mother, Meriaux.

I know it's small comfort at the time, but the thing that helped me get through it was knowing that people have done this before. A lot of us here have been through it.

I absolutely understand how you feel, I lost my Mom in 2002. I have no brothers or sisters and not much other family so I understand feeling alone. The fact that you were so close makes it all the harder to go on without her, but you have her memory to guide you. The torch is passed. You know she would want you to do your best.

At least you got to know your Mom, and she loved you. Some don't even have that much.

I know your Mom would tell you should in NO way feel guilty about your premonition. Premonitions don't cause things to happen, any more than the weather forecast causes it to rain.

Death is just a part of life. It will happen to us all one day. Your Mother was close to my age, and I hope you don't think it irreverent to talk about, but if I had to pick a way to go I'd want to go quick. It would be a shock to the survivors, though I guess, with no time to adjust. But it's heart breaking to have to watch a loved one suffer, sometimes for years.

Mother's Day wasn't that long ago. Things are still really fresh for you. Trust me, it will ease with time.

There have been many words of sympathy and comfort that have been written. I kindof liked this one.I hope y'all don't mind if I include the poem I picked for my Mother's holy card (or whatever they call them these days). (I knew she'd want one for the funeral as that's what she believed in) I chose a more modern picture of a kindly Jesus embracing someone who has just "come home"...

Don't think of her as gone away
    Her journey's just begun
    Life holds so many facets
    This earth is only one
    Just think of her as resting
    From the sorrows and the tears
    In a place of warmth and comfort
    Where there are no days and years
    Think how she must be wishing
    That we could know, today
    Now nothing but our sadness
    Can really pass away
    And think of her as living
    In the hearts of those she touched
    For nothing loved is ever lost
    And she is loved so very much.

-Anonymous

• meriaux2210
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your kind words wow it is as i'f you know me. Thank you again God Bless You!

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Oh Luna Llena Feliz, I am sure you know your name in Spanish translates to Moon full of Happiness or anyway that is how I translate it. So today as I read your post you brought happy memories of my Mom, Sister, Brother, Grandson and Bob my SIL Thank you for that. Your mom sounds wonderful and I am so sorry for your loss. God Bless you during this time of mourning but I know you will get through it, not forget but remember all the good memories.
    God Bless
    Sylvia/NanaGrandma

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Meriaux, I am so sorry to read about your mother! My mother was in poor health so her death didn't come as a big surprise. But it sounds like your mother's was totally unexpected, which makes it all the worse to bear. Both poems posted are very sweet and touching. Prayers go out to you to ease your grief and sadness.

I missed my mother on her birthday and Mothers Day. It seemed so weird not to buy her something. She loved little knicknacks and her room at the nursing home was filled with them. I have to stop myself from buying things now when I see something I know she'd like. Old habits are hard to break!

I often want to call her or go see her to tell her something or ask her a question. *sigh* I just pretend that she is living somewhere exotic, warm and beautiful without a phone and one day I'll be able to go see her there. I take comfort in the idea that she is somewhere safe, warm and happy where her body is like it was in her youth and she is healthy and strong and having the time of her life. If I know my mother, she'll welcome your mom to the neighborhood and talk her ear off. lol!

(((((HUGS))))))

Another Kathy (lol)

P.S. Sylvia, I picked Luna Llena Feliz because it sounded so pretty and exotic ... like an old time movie star name. I hoped it meant Happy Full Moon, which is pretty close to your translation of it.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery