Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

Dad passed away tonight!

sunnyca_gw
11 years ago

Sat. I was with my dad when he had a heart attack. At hospital Er he had a 2nd & mon. morning 3rd along with pneumonia so he didn't want tubes & all. He would of been 96 May 10 & had their 71 anniversary May 12! My 90 yr old mom is holding up well.3 brothers & my son & daughter & nephew all took turns staying with him & holding his hand. We have no regrets, he was a pilot & flight instructor, worked at Lockeed during WWII , taught leathercraft, was First Aid instructor,loved nature, had plastics factory that made jewelry & dresser mirrors & other things for the dresser,could fix anything, built all of the houses we lived in, ran mercy flights in his Cessna to drop food to snowed in farmers & took sick people to the Twin Cities for medical help. Loved animals & helping people,Loved God & wanted to meet him. I was blessed to have had him for almost 96 years! Jan

Comments (12)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Oh Jan, your Dad sounds like one very special man! How amazing that you had him with you for so long. 96 is a ripe old age. I am so sorry for your loss and I know there will be times ahead when you will miss him terribly, but he is at peace and at home again. My prayers go out to you and your mom and the rest of your family.

God Bless you all.

Marlene

• chelcass
    11 years ago

Dear jan, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your dad sounds like the kind of father ever kid would love to have. Your loving memories will help you through this sad time and a smile will come to your face as you remember all the good times. God Bless.

Judy

• nonacook
    11 years ago

You had a Wonderful, thoughtful Dad! You were fortunate to have him so long. My condolences and prayers to you and your family.
    Glad your Mother is holding up.
    Nearly 71 years of marriage--Awesome.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Hugs to you sunnyca ...I love your description of your Dad ...& what good care you gave him. A gentle hug for you & your Mom, too ...thru this time of loss. Take good care & enjoy the stories & memories esp these next few days. Hold tight to your family & remember the blessings. Jeanne S.

• cnm1
    11 years ago

It is always hard to lose a parent - it is wonderful that you have so many great memories and your mom to share them with. Louise

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes it is hard to lose a love one no matter how old they are .I am so very sorry for your loss.(((((((((HUGS)))))))

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the nice thoughts, we are doing well. We went to dinner after arrangements were final. Will be next week as some have to fly in yet. We all had stories to tell & things to remember about him so will be a celebration of his life & his moving on to an even better 1. I know it will be hard at times but he was ready to move on. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your wonderful Dad. Losing a parent is hard at any age, and I know that you, like me, are grateful to have them for so long. (My mom is in her 80s, and her parents both lived into their 90s)
    Take care, and enjoy the stories and celebration of his life.
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. It sounds like he had a wonderful and meaningful life. Your memories will help you through this time and in the future. My thoughts are with you and your family. Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kathy & Marylee. Most people are coming in tomorrow so will be trips to airports, more coming than we thought also, but mom will be pleased! Neighbors are keeping us fed! Even heard from college gal roomed next to me! Internet is great for connecting people! Appreciate all of you thinking of us! Thanks! Jan

• luvs2click
    11 years ago

Sorry for your loss, he sounds like someone I would have loved to have known. Sounds like he led a colorful life - you will be thankful for the great memories.
    Blessings
    Arlene

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Services were so nice. My oldest bro. encouraged people to laugh & he told of few of things dad had done, beautiful flowers,lots of family & friends & a wonderful celebration of his very full life! GF said it was 1st time she ever enjoyed a funeral. It was dignified but showed his strength, humor & love for animals & people. I found a cigar box later that day & in it he had a poem he had written, it's quit long & he was lamenting what man was doing to earth- in 1936, I sent a copy home with my brothers. Didn't know we was a poet too!!I didn't get but about1/4 in. down into the box which is 3 in. tall. Yocum Bros. Leaflet with a Y-B in center.Box would be worth something except he has masking tape all around edges to keep it in good shape. We are doing well, 2 yrs of having trouble walking are over, he is free now! JAN