Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonacook

NonaCook's Midget Cat is Famous

nonacook
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm Auriette, NonaCook's daughter; her new computer is in the shop, which is why I'm posting this for her.

If you've seen a news story about a tiny cat that's making a bid for the World Record, that's my mom's cat Bitsy. She made me do all the talking, which is why I'm credited as her owner, but you can see a shot of mom in the story on WKRG. Here are links to watch the two stories online:

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_1665.shtml

http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/worlds_smallest_cat/73478/

WEAR did the story on Monday, and since then, it's been on CNN, Fox News, and probably some local newscasts around the country. WKRG came over today (after a sister station in South Carolina asked them about it), so it may hit a few more outlets in the next day or two.

Here's a link to mom's webpage about Bitsy, with photos we've taken:

http://members.cox.net/nonacook/nonacook11.html

She wanted me to let y'all know. Hopefully, she'll have her computer back in a week or so.

Comments (10)

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Bitsy doesn't seem so healthy - I wonder if her kidney problems caused the growth stunt . BUT --- All that aside ... I know she's in a home that loves her and will do anything for her ... You can't ask for any better life than that .

((((((((( Nona & Bitsy ))))))))))

What a cutie !

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Nona we miss you!!!
    Auriette what a wonderful daughter you are to share this tidbit.
    Hope the computer Doc get it right!
    I DID see that on tv.I too have a runt cat,the mother lefther for for dead. The mom had been dumped in our yard and SURPRIZE,,,,kittens a few days later.
    You can go back in the search button for my Kitten Little stories. She is now 10years old. She is a scaredy cat which is why we call her Kitten Little(as in Chicken little)
    She ducks at birds,planes and especially,,,,Hawks!!!!!
    Good luck with everything!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I saw the story too, but had NO idea it was Nona's kitty. I am so glad you told us. Sorry to hear about computer problems, but good to know that is "where" Nona is and nothing else is wrong.

Karen

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Auriette,

I remember seeing the story via Yahoo news but never thought it was one of our Garden Community Memebers' CAT! Bitsy sure is feisty! For what she lacks in size and stability she makes up for feistiness and nastiness! :-) Feral cats are like that a lot. My Mom had a cat for years. It just showed up on her doorstep from our of the gutter one day. She had it for years--but she was shorter in length than any other cat I had ever seen. She was heavier though than Bitsy.... Thank God for people like Nona and you who have hearts bigger than (I was gonna say Texas) but I mean, er, Florida! :-)

Nona, hope your computer geek gets your computer up and running soon!

Love, Jules

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Now that is a small cat! Wow just like having a kitten all the time(-: How cute!!!
    I hope Nona gets her computer fixed asap. I know how that is not to have one. Lucky thing I have two computer repair guys living with me(-:

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Bitsy sure reminds me of my late Bitsy! She was a Miniature Pinscher but thought she was a big Doberman. She was not afraid of bigger dogs just like your mother's kitty isn't afraid of bigger cats. It must be the animal world's equivalent of the Napolean complex. he-he

Gosh, now I can say I know a celebrity! Can we get Bitsy's autograph when she makes it into the record books? he-he

Thanks for sharing this very sweet story with us and I hope your mom is back on the computer very soon! Loved the story and I'm so happy there are folks like your mother and you who take in strays and give them a wonderful home.

Kathy

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

What a cute story! Thanks for sharing, good to see y'all! ~tenderlee

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

Wow Nona! I had no idea......how cool is that?? Bitsy looks little and tiny and good :D (that's how I describe my grandbabies)
    kudzu

• nonacook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got my computer back yesterday, and have been trying to 'catch up'! Bitsy does have problems, but I have a good vet and we are doing the best that we can for her. The stumbling seems to be neurological (sp) and she has no trouble chasing all the cats in the backyard. She does NOT like it when the grass gets almost as tall as she is, so she 'jumps' over it! I started giving her Milk Thistle as recommended for her liver condition, but she really doesn't like it. She says 'ACK' after she takes it. The vet says we just have to take it as it comes...Auriette and I love her and every month that she is able to be with us is a bonus.We will do whatever is best for her.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

What a little tiger you have on your hands! It is so heart warming to know there are people like you and your daughter who take strays in and give them extra TLC. Let us know when she is accepted into the Guiness records so we can all brag that we know her mama!