Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Freecycle With Consequences

susiewantsroses
14 years ago

Ya'll know that Hubs is a good solid man. He is my partner in our little 2nd hand world. He picked up 9 "Free" holly bushes after work that he had to dig up himself. The next night he got home from work at 8PM and intended to plant until he had them all in the ground. By 10:30 PM with the help of a flashlight the job was completed. Strangely, our computer and telephones were dead but by gholly we had 9 planted hollies. We immediatly knew what happened because this happened at our other house twice!!!! But who could be mad at a 'wittle face like that'?

P.S. The phone company came out and installed a temporary line today.

{{gwi:127318}}

Comments (11)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

YEAHHHHHHHHHH,,,,
    We had a similar problem in the last house we owned .
    I wanted a tree planted and out of a half acre the spot I chose was the underground cable.DH hit it and thought it was a tree root so he REALLY jumped on the shovel and ,yep same results!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

GREAT pix of Hubs. LOL.

Ahhhh, but we love them anyway. Especially when they are trying to please us with hard labor. LOL.
    Mine recently put a hole thru the underground sprinkler pipe, so a trip to HD and a larger hole dug to fix it.

hugs, Karen

• leveta
    14 years ago

It seems husbands are good at that...lol

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Be glad it wasn't an electrical wire!!Accidents happen, but mark the path of phone line in a much used fix-it book you have, I hope,so it won't happen again. I mark everything in a Reader's Digest Do-it -Yourself book I got in the early 1970's, how to fix our faucets, amount of wallpaper for any room,amount of carpet for entire house, amount of paint needed inside & out,layout of sprinkler system in back (forgot to do it in front-problem when DS here this Jan.& he fixed it as he remembered) Nice to know where sewer lines are also as nothing like planting a tree & then having problems nonstop from tree roots in a few yrs. Hope they get it all fixed! Jan

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Yeah, I cut the outside cover to a underground electrical line. Thought it was one of the honeysuckle roots I was digging and cutting. I taped it good and it was fine for over a year. Then I guess water finally worked it's way in, and blew one of the fuses (yes, my house is a 50's house and I still have fuses) and at first I couldn't figure out what was causing it....left that fuse out. Finally I thought about cutting into that line--Took me about 3 months to figure it out. Good thing there was nothing important on that circuit! Pulgged the TV into another line. Bill would have figured it out in a heartbeat, but I'm dumb when it comes to electrial ( and computer)stuff. LOL

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good advice Jan!!!! I think we are at the end of our bush and tree planting because of the ***End of our available space***. My husband is excessive. He wants to do things TEXAS STYLE, "BIG". I thought the Freecycle folks only had a couple of bushes for him to dig up (they had 9). I just wanted to have some holly to cut the branches around Christmas time for the mantel. They will also last on the front porch in a terra cotta vase during winter. The birds also eat the red berries. So I said "Let me contact the neighbors to see if they want some". Before I knew it he had marked 9 holes and planted them all. He had his trusty flashlight and was determined to "Git 'er done". I was shocked that one of the neighbors didn't call 911 and say "our neighbor is out burying something in the dark and we think it may be his nutty wife"!!!!

Golden- I have watched this man dig around a gas line to install an iron fence post, again by flashlight (at our old house). I thought I was going to faint.

Karen and Leveta- Husbands are good at "scarring me to death", LOL. But I'm still gonna keep him.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Too funny Susie! Glad you were able to get the phone company to fix it so soon....and tell Hubs that it's OK...such are the costs of Freecycle!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I HAD to show my DH this ....... !!!

On one hand - I think it's hillarous ......but on the other hand - I thank God it wasn't an electric cable.

(((((((( HUGS ))))))))

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Well who could complain?? A husband that will see our line of hapiness as art is definitely a keeper. It seems to me, with your reaction to the incident, you got a better deal. LOL

Kat

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

ROFLMAO!!! Here a couple more captions:

"Ruttt-Rowww"

"But I'm cute though"

I used to work with a girl who couldn't do her typesetting job very well, and she would say "but, I'm cute, though" .... LOL .... it was true, being cute took her quite far .... for a while hehe.

At least your Hubs rarely messes up lol. We dug up our telephone line many years ago planting a dogwood tree. TFS I always love a laugh :-) ~tenderlee

• akup_a
    14 years ago

I'm so glad it wasn't "our neighbor is out burying something in the dark and we think it may be his nutty wife"!!!!" That's just too funny.

I was digging up honeysuckle at the outside electrical box. Jammed the shovel down into the dirt & then thought, "Oh crap, there are lines running here!" Thank goodness I didn't hit any. I was extremely careful after that.

Enjoy your bushes!
    Vickie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio