Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I'm so embarrassed - I got scammed

toomuchglass
14 years ago

I feel awful . Just awful. I've always prided myself on smelling a scam a mile away. I just ruined my record yesterday. A college age kid came to the door selling magazines "for the troops" , part of my payment will be directed to the charity of my choice ... and he's working for points in a contest ... He was so enthusiastic ( and fast talking ) I Stood there and listened to his speel. I said no at first ( thinking in the back of my mind that this is a scam ) but he went out of his way to tell me it's not. He convinced me. DH was in the window whispering to me - don't do it - it's a scam ... but did I listen ? NO . I was so confident that it wasn't. After I handed over a check to him for $65 - he took off. DH told me to look up the company online . Sure enough -- it was on a website with scam warnings. They have 60 complaints , "victims" told their stories - and each one was like mine. They also said there's no way to cancel. My heart just sank . I'm so embarrassed ( but I can tell my pals here ) I feel beyond stupid . I'm just so glad that my DH didn't have a fit over it . He never said I told you so ( thank goodness )

This is going to bother me forever. Thanks for listening...

I needed to tell someone how I feel.

Comments (13)

• chelcass
    14 years ago

TooMuchGlass,

Call your bank first thing monday morning and have them put a stop on that check. Since this happened on a Saturday it's possible he hasn't been able to cash it yet.

ChelCass

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Yes, hopefully your bank could stop payment! We have some come around selling the same about twice a year. I've always believed them, I just don't buy their stuff and tell them I already get all the mags I want. Thanks for the warning about scammers doing that, never occurred to me.
    They always seem so clean-cut, college-y, and believable.
    How sad. And I understand the feeling of wanting to kick your own butt, things like this just grate on one's mind.

hugs, Karen

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't stop the check . In the FINE PRINT ( that I didn't read ) It says there is a minimum of a $20 service fee if your check doesn't go through for any reason . From what I read - they send it to a collection agency and it could be for any outrageous amount. *sigh*

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

A young man stopped here a few days ago selling mags. Hubby was far too patient, because they won't shut up until you pretty much close the door while they're still gabbing. I'm not as polite as him! I just don't answer the door, or either say "If you'll excuse me, I'm busy" and close the door. Yeah, I'm a mean ol woman ..... LOL ..... well if they're soliciting on my property, I've learned to do what Barney Fife always said "Just nip it, Andy, just nip it in the bud!" LOL

Seriously, TooMuch, I know how ya feel, BTDT, that's how I copped an attitude like this, hard to believe that people can be so rotten sometimes Sorry it gottcha! :-) ~tenderlee

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

"I've always prided myself on smelling a scam a mile away. I just ruined my record yesterday."

"I can't stop the check . In the FINE PRINT ( that I didn't read ) It says there is a minimum of a $20 service fee if your check doesn't go through for any reason . From what I read - they send it to a collection agency and it could be for any outrageous amount."

In the fine print of a SCAM contract? Are you taking any new medications that may cause you to have difficulty in reasoning or thought processes? Have you recently had a blow to the head? Have you been experiencing sleep deprivation? You have more sense than that normally.
    In most states there is a law where in you do have a 3 day (72 business hours) for cancellation of any contract you have made. Call the D.A.s office and ask what can be done about this scam from the legal standpoint, then call your bank to stop payment. Most banks charge $20.00 to $35.00 to stop payment on a check. That should save you some money. Then give the checkbook to the DH and don't talk alone to strangers knocking on your door anymore.
    Feel better about yourself we all make a mistake once in a while. (((TMG)))

CT

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Coloredthumb ...... I really hope your post was tongue - in cheek - I feel bad enough already. There's nothing I can do - I signed the "agreement" . Other people on the scam website have tried to cancel before the 3 days - but the company ignored them. Here's the site if you'd like to read how bad this company is ...

Here is a link that might be useful: complaints

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL !!! I looked up WI law ... and it says I have 3 days to cancel in writing. Well - I knew they would say they never got the letter ... but THEN -- I READ --- AS LONG AS IT'S *POSTMARKED* BEFORE MIDNIGHT OF THE THIRD DAY IT'S LEGAL. YIPPEE ! I Went to the PO and sent it certified . It's all legal now ! First thing tomorrow morning - I'm making a stop payment .

Oh ---- I think the knot just went out of my stomach .....

Thank you all for listening !!! Luv You all !

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

OMG TMG PLEASE KNOW My post was definitely meant to be humorous! tongue - in cheek doesn't do well in writing I guess. I Know you are not stupid and it is not like you to be gullible. Only sincere parts were the Law info about the 3 days to cancel any contract, the feel better we all make mistakes and the Hugs for you.
    I'm glad you did look up the law, seen the light and have gotten the knot in your stomach untied.

CT

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Dont you worry TMG. Education is never free. This experience may give you some extra toughness that you may need in the future.

My favorite scam is the carpet cleaning guy who comes to my door and tells me that he just got through cleaning the "Smith's" carpet down the block and they said to check and see if I need my carpet cleaned too. I am able to say, "no one by the name of Smith lives on my block. If you lied about that, why would I open my door to you?"

The salespeople on the phone are easier. #1 I'm on the "DONT CALL LIST" so they are violating a professional law. #2 If I need anything I can pick up the phone or computer and order it myself. I dont need someone calling me to offer something that I dont need right now.

The charity calls are the same. Just pick out what charities that you trust and commit to those. All additional 'out of the blue' calls are suspect. Just tell them your charity budget is committed to another organization.

It is no longer an honest society. Things are getting worse it seems.

Sorry for all of the stress that fellow caused you. Those same scammers come through here too. They come by the van loads and are dropped off to work the neighborhood.

Always keep a strong deadbolt.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Glad you are going to be able to at least get some of your money back! It's really hard to accept that people can be such scam artists and misuse our trust and sympathies for others and legitimate causes. I'm sure you were trying to do the right thing....but we all do make misjudgments. I'm happy that you can make things right!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Coloredthumb .... Thank you so much ! I could picture you laughing & saying those things ..... and wagging your finger at me !! I really thought you were being "mother hen" ~~ LOL ( I just had to make sure ! ) MY emotions are wack-o now . I should never had doubted you . I'm sorry !

((((( Colored Thumb ))))))

When I took my written cancellation notice to the Post Office today ... The guy at the post office was being so sympathetic and wanting to help every way he can . He was a gem . He explained certified mail to me ... how it's legal ... he made every effort to make sure I knew everything . I Sent the letter - certified - return reciept requested. I have evidence that I sent it on time.

I also called my bank .... I never knew customer service was open all day Sunday ! Ashamed - I again told my stoopid story .......and to my surprise .. the gentleman that took my call was so supportive . We stayed on the phone for about 10 minutes -- he assured me that I'm not the only one. He explained how scammers play on your emotions ... he was dead on . What a wonderful guy . He also suggested that since I gave them a personal check -
    ( that can't be cashed because of the stop payment ) they now have my bank account number and might decide to "get revenge" by stealing my identity. I should change the account number . I'll be doing that tomorrow.

I'm just in awe of people that are really concerned - not laughing because I Was so stupid - but really are trying to help me. I love my little part of the world ..

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Please don't feel stupid, TMG, you were only trying to help a young person earn a little cash! That's how they get us! We all want to see young folks out there working succeed.

I've heard that many of these scam magazine sales companies use runaway kids, or less fortunate kids, and treat them badly if they don't sell the mags. That would explain why the kids selling these things won't shut up until you literally shut the door in their face.

If it's true, I hope the scammers pay bigtime for using these young folks in the wrong way. And I hope they pay for stealing from the people buying the mags, too.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing, that's a story that can happen to any of us, and you've give us a good reminder. I think this happens in every neighborhood in the US, especially now that the economy is so bad. I'm glad you're resolving it, too.

I typed my first response holding a 9mo old, ain't easy typing then, lol .... that's when I had to get offline yesterday, when he woke up ..... then it was YouTube Ernie, Backyardigans videos, etc :-)

Hugs ~tenderlee

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I've had 2 young people,at my door in last week, neither speaking understandable English, girl was Spanish I think & she talked so fast, only thing I could get out of it was she had to sell magazines to go to school. I told her I didn't have money to help her.She left. Guy was talking so fast only word I understood at all was mechanics school I actually asked him if he was speaking English, he rattled off something I couldn't understand-reminded me of guys that use to do double talk on "Dean Martin Show" I shut the door in his face. Glad I have a good security steel screened door, even with door shut he kept on talking!! I don't know how long he kept that up, I went in kitchen. Next person standing at door with clipboard doesn't get a chance to talk to me, I'm "not home"! Salespeople on phone simply hear the click as I hang up. No need to say anything, I'm on "no call list" so same as wrong number!(altho I do tell person they have the wrong number if they give a name or the number & it's not mine)Jan

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals