Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wants_a_green_thumb

What forum do I go to ask for help?

A friend gave me things out of her garden last year, I planted them and they all LIVED!! Only problem is I don't know what they are. Any idea which forum could help me out? Here's a link to them, if anyone would like to guess what they could be.

Name that flower

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (11)

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Won't let me in here either!

• wants-a-green-thumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please try this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Try Photobucket for pictures

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Well, I'll just have to call you green thumb. Looks like you are off to a good start! From what I can tell in the Photobucket photos---I saw the hens and chicks photo. Is the flower you are trying to identify the one directly behind the hens and chicks one with the tall spikey blue/purple flowers? If so, then I know that one REAL well. It is called an East Friesland Sage (Salvia). I'm pretty sure that is the one. Then if not then it may be the May Night Salvia. I have both in my gardens. BUT, I am almost 100 percent certain yours is the first one mentioned. These are (once stablished pretty xeriscape (drought tolerant). Mine get water on a regular basis--just a little bit each time though (I have drip irrigation EVERYWHERE since I live in the desert). They LOVE full sun too. I had one in a terra cotta pot in the front yard (west facing). Last fall I hatcheted the plant (roots and tops) to make 3 more plants--all of them have survived and are thriving. If you have the may night salvia they are about the same--just that the flower is a bit different--shorter and bees LOVE this one!!!
    Hope I've been help. I absolutely LOVE salvias! They are such an easy plant to grow in my arid community!
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:127325}}

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Green Thumb,

So the lilies you have by the garage---you must know that they are asiatic lilies (as opposed to daylilies), right? 2 years ago I ordered asiatic lilies (the Tango lilies collection) and I absolutely LOVE them. They last maybe a month (flowers that is) but they sure are pretty! I take lots of photos of mine. I am not a peony person--just because I cannot grow them in my climate. Anyways, here is a link to my webpage. Just keep scrolling down to see more albums. Oh, and BTW I LOVE your totem birdhouse!!!! That is a real great thing! Love all the farming equipment as yard decorations. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the flowers by the barn treasure--those are geraniums--which I have also had great luck in growing myself. Pretty tolerant too of neglect.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's Website

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I'm no help in identifying flowers or plants, but had to comment on that incredible "totem birdhouse". Its huge and really neat. Did you make that?

hugs, Karen

• lindasewandsew
    14 years ago

Maybe someone on the forum below can help. If no one there can help, and you have an idea of what type of plant they are, click on 'forums' in the green line near the top of the page, and check the list for garden forums with similar plants. I'm definitely 'plant name impaired'. The plants in the photos are beautiful. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant -GW Forum

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Green thumb~

I know what some of your plants are:

Weird looking one is spurge...euphorbia...can't remember the last part of the botanical name. It will spread.

Blooming picture is spiderwort...tradenscanthia.

Purple spider is a batchelor button of sorts...I think the botanical family is Centaurie.

Tall Pinks is Columbine..will seed itself.

And the lacy one looks like Tansy...not really sure about that one though.

Can't identify the others even though one of the top ones that is growing in a clump with the blooms at the top looks a lot like agapanthus.

Good luck with the ID!!

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

Yep, Marlene is right - the piney looking one with yellow dot flowers is cypress spurge:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/cypress-spurge.pdf

One is also spiderwort:
    http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TRVI

The spikey blue one is bachelor button:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/define-bachelors-button-cornflower.htm

The tall pinkish/purple one is columbine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquilegia

Not sure about the little white one.

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

Also, greenthumb, I think the reason your flickr link won't work is because you must have your pictures tagged "private". If you go change your settings to "public" it will probably work. Worth a try!
    Arlene

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Ok Greenthumb,

I took another look since others were naming plants that I hadn't seen. Then I looked to the side of your diplayed main albums and saw that there were a whole bunch more. I know that Marlene and Luvs are correct. I know one is trandescentia (sp.) because I have seen it before at the nursery enough times. And I knew for sure that the tall pinks are culumbine. And yep, the other one looks like a bachelor button. You are just goign to have to change your screenname because you are abviously NOT a want to be anymore. You have it girl! And BTW, those peonies are absolutely FABULOUS!!!! I'm just happy to grow a hydrangea in the protected are of my gardens.

Love, Jules

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Is the small white one snow on the mountain? Its leaves look too greenish, are they grayer in person?
    kathy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm