Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Monarch caterpillars

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

I have two large fennel plants in my garden and a few days ago I noticed that they were being eaten away VERY quickly. Upon investigating, I found 25 monarch caterpillars munching to their hearts' content! Needless to say, I'm NOT going to spray for pests! They are beautiful!

{{gwi:127339}}

{{gwi:127340}}

Comments (11)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

You should have lots of butterflies later!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

They are beautiful! I've noticed that they like dill too. I leave some milkweed in my garden for them, but I haven't seen any this year yet.
    Kathy

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

They are absolutely gorgeous! Yep, weigh---I plant them FOR the butterflies--or do I let them starve? It was difficult for the gulf frittilaries I had with the passionflowervine. BUT, the vine was a 'star' in my garden. I've just decided to forgo it though because I didn;t have enough plant for what the caterpillars needed. It looks like your monarchs have enough food though....I don;t see monarchs here all that much....so I'm taking note of the plants so I can plant them.
    Love, Jules

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I really, really don't like crawlies, but those are pretty cool, I would have to avoid that part of the garden for a while.
    Frou

• mssunflower
    13 years ago

Marlene, what you have are Black Swallowtail Caterpillars. They look very similar to Monarchs which only use milkweeds for their caterpillars. Black Swallowtails use parsley, dill, fennel, anything that is in the umbelliferae family. These butterflies are just as beautiful and big as the Monarchs and I think you will enjoy watching them. I am attaching some pictures of a female Black Swallowtail laying eggs on some of my parsley a couple of years ago. (I hope they come through)

{{gwi:127341}}

{{gwi:127342}}

Ms. Faith

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Faith....we do have tons of Black swallowtails here too, so I can never remember which caterpillar is which...I just know it's one of the two. I have a great number of all kinds of butterflies this year...they seem to be more prolific this year for some reason...I just know they are beautiful and I am fortunate to have all of them in my garden!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks Ladies, for sharing these awesome pics, I will have to plant some of these plants to Feed them!!!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Hate caterpillars ( ick ) but love the butterflies ! Looks like you have a butterfly nursery there ! LOL

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

I wonder if I could make a butterfly nursery in my discarded fish tank, maybe I could grow fennel there and see what crawls in, lol

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Marlene...wow, they do like your fennel! I've never grown it & just saw some at Farmer's Mrkt yesterday...I used to plant parsley but gave that up for the caterpillars, too! I know the butterflies must LOVE your gardens! TFS! Jeanne S.

Here's a pic of a Swallowtail from my Oregano plant in the veggie garden two summers ago:

{{gwi:127343}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

It's hard to believe that something so homely could turn into something so beautiful! Yep, Monarchs only like milkweed as far as I know. But the Black Swallowtails are gorgeous too! I can't wait to have a garden so I can grow some milkweed, dill and fennel for butterflies (and for Bob and I too). Jeanne, that is such a beautiful picture of a Yellow Swallowtail! You could get that published in Birds and Blooms, I bet. Marlene, keep us posted on their transformation!

Sponsored