Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

June Jinxie and Ducklings update

goldenpond
14 years ago

We decided to take the ducklings out for some fresh air and in hopes that Jinxie would befriend them. When they all fit into this laundry basket and she got quite curious

{{gwi:127358}}

{{gwi:127359}}

The little ducklings have been eating their way to adulthood.

I had some sugar baby melons in my garden and wondered if they might enjoy them.HA.

{{gwi:46623}}

OH the sloshing and slurping noises!

{{gwi:127360}}

they devoured them til the rind was paper thin!

Then along with ducky food we let them try a few

Brandywine tomatoes

{{gwi:127361}}

Definitely a hit!

{{gwi:127362}}

Jim built them an outdoor pen for the daytime and guess who got a bit curious

{{gwi:127363}}

at night they still go into the garage pen. Justin Tyler found a butterfly net and decided to try to catch them

{{gwi:48013}}

Then he tried to catch himself!

{{gwi:127364}}

Comments (11)

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Bless you and bless all your little ducklings and your little darling. This is an aaaaaahhhhhhh moment. Warmed my heart . Thanks

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

What cute pictures. I hope Jinxie befriends them soon, so she won't be lonely any more. You can send the little duck with the black dots on his yellow head to Phoenix. LOL

hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

They weren't shy about eating your goodies!! GS is so cute!! Bet he gets lots of hugs & kisses from Grandma & Grandpa!! What a sweetie!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Awwwwwwww ... they are all so cute! Including the little blonde with under the net. he-he I just love them all and don't know how Jinxie can possibly resist them. I see she had to come investigate them while they were in the basket. TFS!

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Well, little kids can be annoying until they get older and "interesting" as some people, er, I mean, ducks think! :-)It's so good to see her interest start to peak now that they are getting a bit older. WOW, they sure devoured that FRESH produce! I think Jinxie is getting herself back. It would be nice if she could find a new mate eventually.
    Thanks so much for sharing and also about your grandson catching himself with the net! :-) hehehe
    Love, Jules

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Awwwwwwwwwww, so cute! the babies are getting big, how old are they now? I fed mine lettuce leaves and they went crazy over them.

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One sadder note. The biggest duckling managed to get a broken leg. I got on line and read where this is a very common injury.Their legs are so tiny compared to those hefty bodies and the other ducklings seem to stampede.Being the slowest of the bunch I guess he just couldn't get out of their way.We have put a makeshift splint on his leg using plastic knives and foam.
    He is eating, drinking and hopping so who knows?

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I have just loved hearing about your ducklings and Jinxie! So cute watching them slurp up the watermelon! I'm sorry to hear about the broken leg, but hopefully it will heal and he will be good as new! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date in their growing!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Golden you have enough leading acters for a children's book. How adorable and how good you are to them.

My grand daughter used to try and teach me a children's game-"there she goes again off on a senior ramble" ;0) ,which I never did get the hang of, called "DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE". Since I can not even remember the rules of the game, I changed it. Everytime a flock of geese fly over the yard, I yell "DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE". Then Hubs and I smile as it makes us think of Grandbabylove. It is probably interpreted as insanity or 2nd childhood by the neighbors learing out of their windows though. Anyhoo, they are all ducks to me until they HONK.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Oh what precious pictures! so sorry to hear about the big "ugly duckling". He's by favorite. I hope Jinxie befriends them. Looks like she's heading in that direction.
    kathy

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Precious pics ... precious babies ... furry AND blonde-haired! TFS your day! Jeanne S.