Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Duck tales from Goldenpond

goldenpond
14 years ago

Well my ducklings are growing.We like to get them all feathered before we let them out in the pond so it is quite a chore. They need to be too big for crows and hopefully most hawks.Here is an update on there progress

The reddish one was the BIG ugly duckling who broke his leg. Aint he purty now? And his leg is almost all better!

The short brown one is Napoleon and the dark brown is Rambo Man Duck.The black one is Jemima Puddle Duck.

{{gwi:127365}}

the oldest grandson named this one ZoE after a stuffed Zebra that I bought him. His name is Ethan but we call him E so thats why ZoE has a capital E!

{{gwi:127366}}

this is Tammy Faye,notice her hair and eye make up!

{{gwi:127367}}

This is Lacy because her feathers remind me of lace curtains

{{gwi:127368}}

This one is Lucky Lou because of what appears to be a lucky rabbit foot attached to her head! These ducks with pom poms are called Crested.Lucky Lou(or LouLou) can twirl that thing around in a circle like a hula hoop!

{{gwi:127369}}

A close up of Hattie who is a Magpie duck.She has fancy feet

too.I think she looks like she has freckles and a hat!

{{gwi:127370}}

stay tuned for Jinxie update

Comments (8)

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you have not heard about Jinxie losing her mate or how we got the ducklings you may want to search the other duckling posts.
    Jinxie had been so lonely it would break our hearts as she squawked so loudly searching for her Felix. We read that ducks should not be raised alone so we now have 11 ducklings hoping some day she will accept them.
    She has chased away many wild ducks who landed on our pond and then,,,,,,,,,, along came Ronnie.
    Cormo Ronnie as we call him. A cormorant is in the pelican family and is not loved by people who raise fish as the little devils will dive,disappear beneath the water and eat tons of your fish. They are also a protected species.
    For some reason Cormo Ronnie and Jinxie have hit it off. They sit on the bank almost all day, eating and swimming a bit,napping a bit. It has been good company for Jinxie but I am sure our fish numbers have gone down considerably.

{{gwi:127371}}

Cormorants spread their wings to dry, Jinxie flaps hers but can't keep them open that long.
    But here she is trying!

{{gwi:127372}}

It won't be long and the ducklings will be able to take there rightful place on the pond and we do not know what will become of Cormo Ronnie but we shall see!!!!

• leveta
    14 years ago

They are so sweet...Thank you for shareing your ducky family...I love ducks, but DH won't let my have any here. To many coyotes....

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

GP,
    It is so sweet you sharing your duck and duckling story with us! I like the updates too. You could write a book about this all--a childrens book - about love and loss and new found friends. Loving what others do and just living life after a loved one has gone. Jinxie is living again! We'll see how she does once the lil' ones invade her getaway space. :-) Thank friend like Cormo Ronnie for helping her through~
    Love, Jules

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

A very fancy bunch of ducks, get a kick out of the top knots of the crested ones! The ugly 1 is quite handsome now!! Interesting freckles on the 1 . So many varieties! Amazing!So along came Ronnie & now Jinxie is trying to be like him, that is so funny but seems to be cheering him up!! Ronnie will probably run/fly away with all those ducks to deal with, or he may be their leader!! Can't wait to see what happens next!! Jan

• kirkus
    14 years ago

Thank you for keeping us updated on this story. Priceless pictures!!!! Every time you post about your ducks, I just have to show our daughter. She has fallen in love with your duck family! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I'm always glad to read your duck updates! They are really growing quickly too! Love the ones with the puffballs on their heads...I'd never seen that kind before! I'm glad Jinxie has a friend, but I know what you mean about your fish! Thanks for keeping us updated on their progress...always a joy to read!

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

aren't they sweet! I hope they all survive and keep ya'll all amused, I'd love to have a big pond with some ducks!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Keep the updates coming! I agree about the book. Cormo ronnie and Jinxie's friendship shows you don't have to be just like someone else to value and appreciate them!
    Love the ducklings
    kathy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?