Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Is this a chicken hawk?

kudzukween
13 years ago

my nephew almost stepped on this bird. he picked it up and put it in his workboot so the fire-ants wouldn't kill it. he came in and said he found a dove, but the second look i had i realized it wasn't. i looked up hawks, and i think that's what it is, possibly a red tail? it has pinky feathers here and there. you can tell it's just a tiny baby. i don't know if i mentioned in other posts, but we've also been seeing what has to be eagles. i've never in all my years seen anything so HUGE and i've lived in this house 51 years. my niece has seen the same kind of huge bird at her house a few miles away.

{{gwi:127384}}

Comments (8)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

It looks like it has the right coloring for a red-tail. Is the beak curved and pointed? Poor little thing.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Hi Kudzu~

I don't think your chick is a hawk...he's too small to already have his adult colored feathers for a hawk. I do think he might be a dove. See the link below...I found it online searching for baby dove pictures...looks a lot like your little guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: baby dove

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

What a cute little thing. How sweet of your son to rescue it. A few years ago, I took my baby kittens out in the yard, and some HUGE birds came flying over head. I grabbed them up and brought them back in. We sometimes have eagles along the CT river, but I am several miles inland and had never seen them at my home.
    Kathy

• liljunkr
    13 years ago

That is no Hawk of any kind even baby. It is way to small. The smallest hawk I've ever seen was a night hawk and it was nearly 3Xs larger than this one. Long before the Red-tailed hawk eyeasses (baby hawks)have their adult feathers they are the same size as the adults. What you have looks very much like a morning dove. Morning doves make a mornful oooo oooooo oooo sound, they nest on the ground often. The feathers run in various grays to brown tan and have shades of pinks and blues sometimes.

the link below is a nest with 3 eyeasses & 2 adults. I think the eyeasses hatched about 4 weeks ago. They are going to fledge in the next few weeks.

LIL

Here is a link that might be useful: A nest of hawks

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lol thanks ya'll. i do see doves around here a lot. people hunt them. the first time i wondered if the hurricane had just blown the pigeons out here to the boonies! but they're very pale colored, light gray i guess, with rings around their necks.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Cute little guy!! Guess GS can dig worms & feed him, he may end up pretty tame!! Year my DH died I heard a cooing 1 morning, i went out & looked in orange tree finally got a ladder & this dove just sat there & I was about a ft. away. I went out every day & talked to her told her she would have better luck next year cause a handful of long pine needles is not a nest, eggs would fall to the ground,she almost acted like she understood & would cock her head & coo. Finally there was a lot of noise out back so I ran to window to see. 2 adult doves showing their 2 little ones the finer points of taking their 1st bath, it was a noisy affair in the perfect birdbath, a plastic Parsons table flipped up side down & legs removed & filled with water & on over 100degree days I added a tray of ice cubes. Birds had a good time. That dove was much smarter than me but I still don't know where those eggs were & why I didn't hear them until they left the nest. I never saw an adult leave the nest either. They are around now but have never nested in my yard again. Guess they knew I needed a distraction from my loss. Jan

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aww, what a great story :D
    cherry/kudzu

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Around here in VA, mourning doves are very common birds. I will tell you that they will come back to your house again and again if they find adequate food and shelter. They have a wonderful sound and they are such peaceful, pretty birds. In the winter, I always have to laugh because they look like giant softballs with legs...they are quite voracious! Anyway, good luck with your little guy...hope he makes it to adulthood. As as sidenote...doves do need grit in their diets. That's why they hang around the edge of a road..they're eating the tiny grit from the gravel.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!