Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

A Bob Update

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

The wound vac that Bob had on his foot wasn't working right on Monday. When he went to the doctor on Tuesday, the doctor said the wound was slightly infected. It didn't look bad ... it actually looked pretty good to me ... but it smelled like a dead mouse. The doctor cut off bits of dead flesh, took him off the wound vac and he just has his foot bandaged up now. The nurse has to come every day to have him soak it in banadyne(sp) and change the dressing on it. He prescribed two different antibiotics too. I just hope I can keep Bob off his foot long enough for it to fight the infection and heal. *sigh* Wish me luck!

Keep up the prayers for him so he makes it through this with what bit of a foot he has left. It would be an awful shame if he were to almost have it healed and then end up having it cut off.

Thanks for letting me vent. I always feel better when I post something here ... kind of like getting the stress of it out of my system.

Hugs,

Kathy

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Is there anyplace that uses oxygen to heal wounds? I had a friend with leg ulcer that wouldn't heal & I think that is what they used to get it healing. Look it up on Internet, Kathy, I think if you had pain clinic in town they might be ones to use it. It was long time ago so I've forgotten exactly how they did it. I remember seeing the ulcer & telling her to get to dr. fast(she had flown in from Boston to be with her sister)I sat in the car & neighbor went in with her. I saw it again after couple of treatments & it looked great & healed up soon after that. Must have been summer(don't do well in AC) Anyway hope it helps fast, ask the nurse if she knows about oxygen treatment to speed healing! Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Kathy, thanks for the update. Tell Bob we ALL said to stay the h--- off that foot so it will heal, unless he prefers to lose it after going thru all this! Men can be so darn stubborn about doctors and following orders!

You could try duct tape, that might work. By that, I mean duct tape HIM to his chair. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

So glad to get an update on Bob! I'm with Karen...tell him that your GJ buddies are ORDERING him to keep his a** in the chair!! We don't want to have to come hunting for him....but we've had LOTS of hunting practice, so he wouldn't stand a chance!

We're continuing to pray for both of you!

Hugs,
    Marlene

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

He's still in my prayers. (((((( Bob ))))))

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

Oh golly, Kathy, I feel so bad for you and Bob. You have really been put through the ringer!! (The younger members probably won't get that expression! LOL)

I agree with Karen...get out the duct tape!! LOL

Seriously though, I understand how difficult it is for Bob to stay off of that foot. This stupid venous ulcer on my foot has had me pretty much incapacitated for the past four months. At least the severe pain has stopped, and I can function again, although not to full capacity. Having to sit, when you're used to being active, is extremely frustrating.

It's hard for Bob now, but his foot will heal so much faster and better if he stays off it.

Sadly, depression plays a part in all this too. It really gets to you when you aren't able to get up and do the things you're used to doing. Having to depend on others to do things for me is what really gets me down.

Tell Bob to hang in there and take good care of that foot. It will heal, and he will be so glad he did!

Kathy, I know how stressful this has all been for both of you, and how much you worry about and care for Bob.

God bless you both! Hang in there...this will all be behind you someday!

Love, Sandy

• sugarmaple
    14 years ago

Boy - keeping a good man down can be hard. Try giving him daily doses of the internet on his favorite topics.
    I think what Jan was referring to with oxygen treatment was a barametric chamber (spelling?). Pure oxygen is used and the healing is remarkably quick. I don't know anything about this other than an article in our newspaper about 6 months ago. I gave it to a friend whose MIL has had an open ulcer on her ankle for several years. Her doctor did recommend this treatment but the MIL, for some unknown reason, either balks at new treatments or, if she does attempt something, stops because it's taking too long - even if there had been some improvement. I hope she sees the light. Oh well, good luck with everything. Colleen

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

His foot doesn't stink like it did when we went to the doctor's. I think the smell was more from the broken wound vac than his foot. The doctor wasn't alarmed by Bob's foot, just prescribed antibiotics for it. So I'm not too worried about it. I keep smelling his foot just to make sure. I've got a schnoz on me like a bloodhound. lol!

Thanks for the well wishes, ladies. Bob and I both appreciate them!

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

I have the same problem with my DH to take his medicne definitely I write notes, make charts, NAG I am telling you it is that extra chromosome THEY JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR THEM! Or else they just like to be "mothered"
    poor babes!!!LOL

How did he get the ulcer in the first place? I haven't been here long enough to know all the details.
    AnyWhos I a praying for you and Bob!

God Bless

Nanagrandma

• daisydal
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear about Bob's foot, luna. Sounds like you just need to get that duct tape out that Karen talked about. Hopefully with the antibiotics he will heal soon. If the Dr's dont seem to be worried, I am sure it will be healed up in no time. I think you are an awesome Doctor, myself, for taking care of him like you have and dealing with your own health problems as well. I am so proud of you. Prayers for you both coming your way.
    blessings-sherri