Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanagrandma_gw

Fifth Anniversary of my Grandsons Death

nanagrandma
13 years ago

On July 23, 2005, my grandson Ryan almost 20 years old was killed by an intoxicated driver. Ryan was going to camp in the Redwoods in northern california. This past Friday was the the 5th anniversary of his death. My daughter, his mother and his childhood friends drove up to scatter his ashes at the sight. His friends erected a cross with his name at the sight on the first anniversary and it is still there. I flew up to Sacramento on Thursday and my daughter picked me up Friday and we drove for 3 hours to get to the little town of Willits near Clear Lake. Beautiful area. As you can imagine it was a very emotional day for me, but I gathered my strength and went and it was a touching beautiful day. As you know his father Bob just died of cancer and we scattered his ashes also because he asked that we do that. Thank You all for your prayers for Bob and me and now I ask you to pray for my daughter Lisa and my granddaughter Monique and grandson Robert. We have been through a lot this past 5 years, but belief in our Lord got us through and He will continue to give us strength. Thank You all for reading this post.

God Bless You All

Sylvia/Nanagrandma

Comments (12)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

ahhh, nana...reading your post & sharing a part of your pain. The precious gift of life...where there is no understanding of a beautiful life taken so soon. Thank you for sharing your daughter & her precious family. I am thinking that you must feel so blessed that you were able to be part of this memorial day for your GS & his father. Certainly will continue to keep your DD & Monique & Robert in prayer. Hugs to you, nana. Jeanne S.

nana...I have a favorite children's picture book called "The Next Place" by Warren Hanson. You might enjoy the message & beauty of the book...a celebration of life. It may bring comfort to you/yours.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Nana....my heart breaks for you. Losing a loved one is never easy. I have worked in a funeral home for 23 years and and I still cry with the families when something so tragic happens. You and your family will be in my prayers.
    Linda

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Sylvia: Your Sadness is felt so deeply thru your posting, and I said a prayer for continued strength for your whole family. Thank You for being you... Keep your Heart close to God, if we can make lemonade out of lemons...imagine what HE can do!!! Amen? Jane

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry that your grandson's life was snuffed out so soon and so needlessly. But it is heartening to read that his death has given you strength and added to your compassion for others. It is nice to hear that his father's ashes are close by too. It sounds like a lovely memorial for your grandson and a nice time for you and your daughter and her family to remember him lovingly. Hugs and prayers go out to you and your family!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing this very personal time with us on the GJ forum Sylvia. It is indeed a very hard and trying time when we have to try and make sense of something so tragic. It is so good to remember those who have gone before us and are with the Father. I will definitely remember you and your daughter and family in my prayers....Hugs to all of you!

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Sylvia,
    Even though it was rough because it was at the site it is a lovely place there. So glad that you, the family and friends were able to make that happen for Ryan. Memorials are so tough. I'm sure much harder knowing that it wasn't because of HIM but someone else's negligence and stupidity. Please tell us that the person that caused this is doing time and/or has learned from it, and changed?

My prayers are going up for you, Bob, Lisa, Monique and Robert! Love you!

Love, Jules

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Thanks you for sharing your family with us.
    What would we do without our garden junk friends,
    when we need others to help us in our grief. They
    helped me so much when Bill was sick and dying.
    Just as they prayed when you and Bob were sick.
    I will pray now for you and your family!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

So sorry about all the difficulties of the past 5 years. The memorial sounds moving and I'm glad that the ashes were scattered together.
    Kathy

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nona you are absolutely correct my GardenJUnk Friends are someone I can lean on and they will be compassionate and send me their love and prayers. What more could I ask for than a great big bunch of shoulders to cry on. Love you All
    The boy that killed my grandson also died at the crash. He also had a family who loved him and they had erected a cross for their son and added Ryan's name to their cross. When my daughter saw that she realized that many more were affected by this tragedy. Here is a photo of my beautiful boy he had the most beautiful green yellow eyes we were all at our place in Catalina Island the month before he died. I cannot thank you all enough for being here for me.

Love You all
    Nanagrandma/Sylvia

Ryan Warren Towery

{{gwi:127555}}

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Ryan looks so young & so strong in the pic! So sad it can all change in a second.Kids texting & driving or talking on cell phone plus booze or drugs to add to the mix. Glad that you were all able to go up there together & also take your son-in-law's ashes up to scatter with Ryan's. Prayers & hugs for all of you & glad the other family cared about what happened, they are struggling, too. So love your grandkids & daughter & spend time with them often to ease their heartache & your's.Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Ryan sure was a handsome guy! It is nice to hear that the other family thought of him too. I imagine it must be very painful for them to not only to lose their son but to know that their son's carelessness caused another's death. Hopefully your GS's tragedy touched many lives in a positive way. Hugs again!

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Wow Sylvia. You just never know what a day can bring. So wonderful that the other family included Ryans name to the memorial. It does affect so many people and that we all hope and pray that because of this that their deaths would not have been in vain. Yesterday I was preaching to my oldest, Sean just before he took off for the day to be careful himself. Yesterday on my way to take Nathan to my Moms for swimming I was sitting at a red light. As it changed to green I saw another two cars brakes locked coming to a stop to the right of me. I hadn't started accelerating yet but in disbeleif watched as this landscape truck blew through the red! He had tried because his brakes were smoking but he kept going. Thank the Lord we were not going. You just never know. We all need to be prepared. Made me think.
    (((((((HUGS)))))))
    Love, Jules