Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloredthumb

Well isn't that nice, :(

coloredthumb
14 years ago

I tried I really did but failure to achieve my goal was result. Honestly It has been a rough morning.

I went to a special event today at work. It was decorating a room for an employee party. 6 of us fun gals chipped in a few $s and got supplies and things to liven up the room. We started early so we could get out and get changed before the party started.(it is an all day thing because the place is open for business 24/7). We were having a ball getting things up, tables arranged, and all the normal things you do getting ready for a fun party. One woman we aren't real familiar with joined us as we started. She just walked in the door and asked "Oh can I help?" We're good to go with anyone volunteering to work! LOL From the moment we accepted her offer in fiendly spirit she criticized everything we did. She never made any of the planning meetings (2 short 15 minutes each maybe) or kicked in one cent or offered us her name But Golly we were so wrong her comments were like little stabs. "When I do this I put the tape one the underside so it isn't seen." "I think you have to put the streamers up with more twists." "If you put those tables together you can move the buffet on the other side." Blah blah blah I mean I heard several comments of critique directed at each of the other gals and after a while she started on me and what I was doing I just Smiled sweetly and said "Well isn't that nice?" every time she came around another criticism offered to each of us. Finally we had all the decor done and we stood looking at it with happy thoughts when Ms NITPICKER said "Well it isn't the best I've ever seen but I guess it will do." I couldn't help it I swear I smiled and turned to say "Well isn't that nice?" but nooooooo that didn't work out so well. I guess that last comment was the straw that poked my mouth into action without my brain being securely attached, it just popped out of me.........."Honey if you take that stick out your butt you would probably feel much more comfortable and be able to sit and enjoy the fun stuff with us."...........OMG yes it came out in real words. There was a little intake of breath by my 5 compadres and a very QUIET second. I never realized silence could be so loud or a fraction of a second so long!!!! One by one my friends started giggling and laughing. Ms Nitpicker looked extremely shocked and stomped away in an 8-cylinder huff. I felt immediately bad for saying it. I can only guess in my subconscious "Well isn't that nice?" just didn't cut it anymore. Gee whiz how much do we have to take the lordly generosity of an uptight know it all with a better than you attitude who never once said anything nice except "Oh can I help?"

I will apologize for the smart mouth remark and thank her for the "help" later.

So I offer this as warning Self control can snap after so much abuse. Even in us Southern Gals.

CT

Comments (18)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Self control doesn't mean that we should accept abuse....I think that you and your friends were quite patient in the process. Some folks live such a nitpicky life, they don't even realize what they're saying. I'm sure you'll come up with an apology that will be fitting.

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

People who act like that are not happy people.so they try to make others around them unhappy...I think you did a good job...

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

.... "stomped away in an 8-cylinder huff" LOL ........ Welp, sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, CT, that sounds like something I would've done!

Maybe Ms. Nitpicky will stop and think about her own actions .... and "No, it wasn't nice" LOL

I've worked with the same types, usually when the credits roll, they think they deserve to be at the top of the list, too. Some people .....

Sometimes "Isn't that nice" just doesn't cover it. We need another code word for when things get turned up a notch LOL. Any ideas?! ~tenderlee :-)

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Some people thrive on drama like that . WHo knows - maybe you made her day ?

LOL

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Well I wasn't going to comment on this but it's just making my skin crawl.

CT Honey don't you go apologizing to that uptight, insensitive Self serving B---H (and spell that with a Capital B). If anybody needs to apologize it's her. You did nothing wrong! She needed to be put in her place and if not you then it would have been someone else and I bet they wouldn't have been as nice about it. She wasn't being *nice* by asking if she could help she was just looking for an excuse to critize. I think you handled the situation wonderfully............You go girl! ! ! !

Hugs, ChelCass

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

CT I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. Thank you! It may not have been "nice" but it was necessary. I know that we have all wanted to do the same thing at one time or another. I agree that you shouldn't apologize for letting her know that her behavior was beyond acceptable. Some people need to be put in their place from time to time. This woman's time had come.

• coloredthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GRRRRRR I can't believe what happened after I left today! I'm so mad I could spit nails. Today is my day off so I haven't gotten the official word yet but I will get a written warning for rudeness when I go back on the clock. Seems Ms Nitpicker went to HR and complained about me and the gals and the awful way we treated her. 2 of the other gals got written warnings today JUST BECAUSE They Laughed AT MY RUDE REMARK. The other 3 are getting one as well. I'm not waiting for them to find me I am going straight to HR early before my shift starts and demand a hearing for the others to be taken off written warnings. It simply isn't right that they be punished for something I SAID of my
    own free will. They laughed because it was funny. Yes it was a serious comment and I really should not have spoken it aloud in front of her but to get all the others in trouble is so wrong. I will fight to clear them of a wrong doing. Me and the VP will have words and he is a fair man. I think he'll understand because he has seen my humor and sarcasm before and laughed at it while shaking his head.

As for apologizing to Ms Nitpicker. Oh yeah that's going to happen but only from me. Not the other gals.
    How does this sound for an apology

"I'm sorry I said you should pull the stick out of your butt." Picture it being spoken thru a "sincere" smile.

The good note is she is now being ostracized by nearly everyone at the job. She walked over to the break room and everyone there LEFT! She went into the room where the party was going and everyone LEFT she went outside to the smoking area and tried to join in a conversation at the picnic table. guess what happened? Everyone LEFT. LOL She forgot her card key to get back in the door and no one would let her in. Friday is dress down day and we can wear T-shirts and jeans I have a friend who has a silk screen and makes prints on T-shirts. I'm thinking of asking her to make me 6 shirts that say Snitches are an endangered species" and a little picture of an animal trap. It is a thought that may get me a second written warning in less than a week and I could be put on administrative leave for a week, but it seems like so much fun. Can I afford a week unpaid vacation??? HMMMMM

Well isn't that nice? LOL

CT

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I got a real kick out of this!! 6 of you on the party committee & shelling out your own money are hijacked at last minute by Miss Nitpicker!! I've planned a lot of events & I would have been tempted to say, oh, so glad you want to decorate, what all did you bring!!! Did she actually do any work? I am sorry you got in trouble & the other gals. Who does she know that she is still employed there?? The screen printed T'shirts sound like a swell idea-for the whole office to show up in next fri.Ah, I guess that would be mean. Maybe she will quit but trouble is people like that "never get it" she thinks everyone else is problem! Hope your boss is understanding & drops the whole thing! Jan

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Maybe you and the other girls should go to HR (separately of course)and file a complaint against her. Since she made some disrespective remarks to each of you. Seems the numbers are in your favor. I'll be interested to hear what happens. Hang tough!!

• coloredthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went in early today. Straight to HR and asked for a meeting with VP and 2nd VP (an impressive business woman though not at all a big hot shot type). Right away they were in the office and listened to my carefully exact explanation of the events of yesterday morning. They seemed to fully understand the situation and immediately expunged the written warnings for the other gals. Thank Goodness! The bosses laughed at the remark so how could they possibly punish anyone else for doing the same thing? I made it known I would apologize to Ms Nitpicker and she was asked into the meeting. I did say it exactly as I wrote in in the above post. LOL The VP had a very hard time not laughing. He dropped his head down so we couldn't see his face and the 2nd VP just smiled a nice big smile. Ms Nitpicker said "Thank you, your apology is accepted." VP said "I hope we can put this behind us and work together without any problems in the future." He stood up, shook Ms Nitpickers hand and said "Thank you for coming in. Please continue with your schedule." She left he sat back down and let loose the laughter he could not hold back any longer. The 2nd VP was shaking with held in laughter. I just sat and pretended I was a contrite person. They finally pulled themselves together after a bit. The 2nd VP said to me "That was the most backhanded apology I have ever heard!" The VP just shook his head and asked me very kindly to try to avoid Ms Nitpicker in the future. I told him "That will be no problem as most everyone is avoiding her now."
    I have a day of paid personal leave so I'm home and Ms Nitpicker thinks I'm being punished. NOW That is nice!
    I'm so glad I have stayed with this company and have the respect of co-workers and bosses.
    BTW I wont do the T-shirts for us to wear Friday, but I just might have one printed for future use. I am most happy the other gals are not on written warning for something they could not help doing. I don't believe Ms Nitpicker is going to be with the company much longer. She may do good work herself but she just has problems relating to and working well with co-workers. In all truth she actually did help some with the decorating. It is just to bad she couldn't refrain from the constant criticizing comments.

CT

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

A happy ending ! I'm glad . Ms.Witch - ( she's beyond nitpicker ) is going to lead a lonely life with a personality like that.

What goes around comes around *~*~*~*~*~*

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Wow, glad it all turned out for the good. And yes what goes around does come back around..in spades...So sorry you had to go throught the wringer because of that witchy woman.Looks like you work for some fair people, so they'll see soon that emplyees like that aren't someone they need. Enjoy your day off!!!! Judy

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

40 days ago, I walked off the job, when a coworker and I had an argument about something she was doing...I was being a negative nitpicker...I realized that as soon as she told me to F Off!! In front of the customers...this was not the first time she yelled at me in front of coworkers and customers,,,she feels justified an nobody can/will stop her. She gets right in my face to do this too. Last time it was about something I sold(we work at a thrift store) that she was supposedly holding for herself(I KNOW she wouldn't be paying for said item) She "takes" home anything she likes that comes in and Never pays for anything, even lawnmowers and pools!!! Camers, dvd player etc, This place is a non profit(really, thanks to her) and we get donations of used items to resell, to pay wages, bills, etc, it's a mad house, diorganized mess, but I believed in the place(recycling depot) and the boss, whom I left a note saying I won't work under these conditions,(her yelling/swearing) hasn't even called or anything, she still works there...along with at least 7 other peolpe who steal from there all the time(money too) and I am the ostersized one as I won't go with the flow(steal) not everybody steals but they ignore it, and ifI talked to the boss, he would be mad that I am a snitch, he doesn't care that they are all stealing or being unprofessional. So why bother, I quit, it's been 40+days and I haven't even recieved my record of employment(typical of the place) I don't even know where I'm going with this but all I know is it just sucks!!! But I am getting lots of lpay/yard work done!!!lol! I worked in the addictions field for 10yrs and left because of burnout from the addicts and their shenegans, but working at a thrift store where we are The cheapest store in town, cheaper than a dollar store even, and people would come to shop Everyday and steal!!! Plus the corruption of employees who want to you to join them so we're all at the same level...well, it has been such a shock and disappointment, as I have been involved on the board of directors and done bingos for this organization and have always been passionate about advocating for better staff pkgs (ie: medical plan)etc, and to see a few who spoil it by being two faced and corrupt!!! I don't get it...I know I shouldn't let it bother me but I was redoing my resume to apply for a job and I had another job working at a detox and the director got it in her head to get rid of me and while I was away on vacation she went to the board and said I was getting my needs met thru the clients, by "opening cans of worms", and so I was "laid off" run out. Later it all came out that she and 2 other workers(women) were sleeping with ex clients(a no no) and another (guy) won $5000 on a scratch and win card and ordered 2 hookers to come and service him while he was at work!!!(one was an ex client)(that he was also using to take erotic pics of)sheesh!!! How does this happen??!!! I guess I've been triggered by reading this post and going thru my resume....Um, ya, (Jane at interview)I quit my last 3 jobs...why?? Ummmmm...aahhhh, well.....
    Well, the gist of it as of right now, I know I had to quit this last job cuz even when I drove away, I was plotting to get her alone somewhere after she finished work and SHOW her what being lippy ever got anybody who disst me...but I am not that person anymore, that's why she triggers me, she is like my past(addiction/harsh life) and I don't go there anymore...Boy, What a Vent!!!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I bet you feel great now Jane ! Boy - that is some story . Sounds like a B movie ...... LOL . Isn't it unreal how low people can go , stealing from a thrift store and bullying others with no consequences ? Sometimes hearing things like this makes me ashamed to be a human being . I think you should count your blessings that you are away from them . You don't have a molecule in you thats low enough to associate with them.Now you have "time to play!" -- that's the silver lining in THAT grey cloud !

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

CT, I am just sitting here shaking my head at all this.
    And grinning. You sure do know how to handle a situation, LOL. Love it. And sounds like you have good bosses which makes all the difference in a work place.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I could regale folks with plenty of workplace horror stories! Yowza! CT, you did good with a backhanded apology. I would have done the same thing. It would have gone along the lines of ... "well you gotta understand, I just had to snap because the rest of us pooled together our money and worked so hard on this party that I just couldn't stand to see my co-workers criticized so diligently for all their hard work and effort. I felt I just had to say something. I'm just sorry it came out so rudely."

Calamity_j, I feel ya girl! I used to work at a thrift store and was amazed at all the crap that went on. It usually starts with inept and sometimes unscrupulous managers and works its way down. Things got so bad at the place where I worked that when I got called on the carpet for following company policy by putting away a cart load of merchandise that someone was holding for a customer for more than a week and having the permission of a night supervisor who denied giving me permission, the store manager asked me what I thought they should do with me. I told him to fire my @ss so I could get unemployment. So they did. Best thing that could have happened to me. Then when I applied for unemployment, I was told that my employer said I quit. I brought in my "pink slip" which said I was terminated when I had a hearing at the unemployment office. They felt so sorry for me after hearing my story that they immediately approved my application for unemployment. The manager at the store was fired not long after that.

Am I the only one who could go for a fishbowl size strawberry marguerita right now? he-he

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing that Luna!!! I really felt down testerday as I was dropping off my resume...You All cheered me up!!! Jane

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Love this thread, and getting to know all you colorful personalities even better! Need to get off the computer, but just had to let y'all know I understand! Oh, goodness, at the work stories I could tell y'all ....

If it wasn't for Towanda I don't know what I would have done back in my working days ..... I was always sassing too much ..... at some times of the month worse than others LOL Hugs y'all ~tenderlee