Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Ducky freedom at last *******PICTURES!

goldenpond
14 years ago

Today was it.

I went to the gate and opened the door.

At first they all just stood there then they noticed the open gate.Could it be?

Napolean is the very smallest duck . He was the bravest.

and stepped out first

{{gwi:127642}}

The rest of the gang quickly scampered out

{{gwi:127643}}

The pond is only a short distance from the pen

and after nibbling on everything green in their path

they dove in.

{{gwi:127644}}

OH What a Happy Splash Party they had!

{{gwi:127645}}

Jinxie- thats her in front, came to see what all the excitement was about

{{gwi:127646}}

Jim and I had such fun watching the joy it brought them as they splashed and played like little children.

{{gwi:36009}}

{{gwi:127647}}

They LOVED getting all clean and showing off.

{{gwi:127648}}

{{gwi:36012}}

We gave Jinxie some treats and extra special time for being so understanding

{{gwi:127649}}

Jinxie playing with her new friends.

{{gwi:127650}}

They have to be put away each evening to keep them safe from night time predators but we can tell they will look forward to the freesdm they get each day on Goldenpond!

Comments (11)

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Oh that was fun! How do you catch them to put them away each night? Will there be a time when they know to come willingly? : )

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Having kept them in their pen awhile made them feel secure there.They got close enough tonight and we put our arms out and corraled them in.
    We have duck sticks we have used with Jinxie but she just goes in readily around dusk.Just a bamboo pole guides them right in.
    We asked Jims dad how he got his ducks in when he was a kid(he raised 100!) He said easy you feed them at night in their pen.
    AHA!
    So between that trick and the duck stix(guides) they don't give us trouble.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Awwww, what great photos of your Duck Herd. LOL. I love them splashing around and really enjoying their freedom.
    What's the name of the one I've always liked so much...white head with all the black spots on it?

hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Great pics, what a fun summer for ducks & GK's when they are there!! They sure grow fast & look so sleek & polished!!Nice looking bunch!! Not an ugly duckling in the lot!! Jan

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

my freckleface gal is Hattie. She is pretty.
    She is a Magpie duck.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Quacking noise in here?! LOL I can just hear them.

We have a "duck pond" nearby at a local cemetary. People leave their unwanted ducks there, and it gets overpopulated quickly. A neighbor volunteers there, and tries to help place the extra ducks elsewhere.

The ducks on goldenpond are very lucky indeed. ~tenderlee

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is sad.people buy the lil ducklings because they are so sweet but they are FILTHY to clean up after and need water constantly so people tire of them. I truly was looking for cast offs thinking Id rather have adults but could not find any.I also thought it would be great fun posing them in the garden and photographing them.
    HA!
    The lil rascals definitely would NOT cooperate!
    They are pretty enough as adults to take pics of though.
    We are trying to NOT make these too domesticated. Jinxie walks up to the back door to beg for a treat and will eat out of our hands. We really do not want 12 DUCKS begging at our back door and messing in front of the door .They have two and a half acres to play in and plenty of water.Yesterday Jinxie gave them the tour.It was amazing to watch the 12 go up the creek and into the next pond.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

AWESOME pics, goldenpond! A calmness came over me as I watched your darlings play! God is good...what an ingenious God to give us such lovely animals. And, to see Jinxie adapt to her new friends...amazing, what a life lesson for us all! TFS your wonderful day! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

What great pictures. I'm so glad that Jinxie likes them at last. What ever happened to Ronnie the cormorant?
    kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

What wonderful pictures and stories! The ducklings are growing so fast...and they are just so cute! I'm so glad that Jinxie is taking to them...they will give her a lot of company!!

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Corma Ronnnie has not been back and good riddance.
    Sorry but he was eating all the fish in the pond!
    And really,their relationship was going nowhere.
    I have to get use to seeing them all wandering the yard and splashing. I ironed Jim's shirts in front of the glass doors so I get watch their antics on the pond.
    You are right Jeanne in the calmness the pond and the joy that God's creatures bring to this earth.
    I suppose thats why God created animals first!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm