Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jitterbug4756

A Southern way to handel rude or offensive remarks!

jitterbug4756
14 years ago

Two Southern Belles had just returned for the summer from different finishing schools. They were sitting on the veranda of one of their familys home having iced tea.The first young lady looked at the second and said

"When I was at finishing school they taught me how to ride horses. I was very good at, in fact better than anyone else.My daddy was so proud of me. In fact, you see that beautiful stallion in the pasture? My daddy bought him just for me. He was very expensive."

The second young lady looked at her,smiled and replied "Well isn't that nice."

The first young lady continued "When I was at finishing school they also taught me how to drive a car. I caught on right away and was better at it than any of the other girls. My daddy was so proud of me he bought me that shiney new Mercedes you see sitting in the driveway there. Isn't it just beautiful?"

The second young lady looked at her, smiled and replied "Well isn't that nice"

The first young lady continued bragging.

"Well they also taught us all about fashion and how to dress for the occasion. Not that I needed any help with that. I've always known how to pick the perfect outfit! In fact, my daddy was so proud of me he let me buy a whole new wardrobe in Europe. I bought only the finest & most expensive clothes. I have on one of the dresss now. Don't you just love it?"

To which the second young lady replied, "Well isn't that nice"

The first young lady, put out by the lack of response she expected said snobbishly "Well just what did they teach YOU in finishing school?"

The second girl looked at her,smiled and said.

"They taught us when you were subjected to boorish & rude people that were being offensive to look at them , smile sweetly and say "Well isn't that nice" instead of "You sure are a jackass!"

So, next time someone says something rude or offensive to you, smile sweetly and say "Isn't that nice!"...LOL..Judy

Comments (14)

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH my G O O D N E S S !!!!!!!!!

That's perfect ! ! ! !

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing
    this
    it gets to me.... in my time of need.....

& Being from the SOUTH..... T E X A S that is....

It is Going to work for me.....

IT W O R K S ~ FOR ~ ME>>>>>

" WELL isn't that nice "

YEA.... that was just a practice....
    not intended for you Ms Judy....

GOD BLESS !
    SusieSunshine

*********** Whew ! ! !
    better than say'n " Don't Mess with TEXAS ! ! !"
    now...
    Ms SusieSunshine can try to say in a calm sweet
    voice ............."WELL, ISN't THAT NICE"
    instead of " Well......You sure are a jackass!" yea !..

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

he-he I'll think I'll be saying, "Well, isn't that nice," all day at work from now on! he-he

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Almost as good as "Bless your heart"! LOL

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

like miss Susiesunshine Coloredthumb can try to say in a calm sweet voice ............."WELL, ISN't THAT NICE"
    instead of " Well......You sure are a jerk!" (I can't insult a jackass by calling a nasty person one.)
    Not sure if I can fake the nice sweet smile. That may take a lot more practice. I tend to have a very emotional expressive face.
    LOL
    CT

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

HAH!!! and don't forget to say it sweeeetly, either! :-)

CT, my face always gives me away, too, but y'all can't see me when I'm typing lol ....

~tenderlee

• jitterbug4756
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you got girls got a kick out of that. I heard that about a year ago and it has carried me through in some trying times! In fact, it's our mantra in the kitchen when this get hectic during events and banquets and guests get demanding. In the hundreds of people I see weekly between our restaurant, lounge, room service and special events, renunions, wedding receptions, corperate meetings (someimes the most difficult!)and all the hotel guests that come through, there tend to be a few most difficult every week that take a little more effort & will power(and a few deep breaths!)to continue with a sweet hospitable manner. And sometimes....lol...at the end of a busy & hectic week, my nice seems to get used up and it's a little harder for me to be , uh, sweet.Luckily, Ive worked w/ the same kitchen manager for 3 years and she'll know I'm about at the end on nice, and look at me and laugh & say Isn't that nice & we usally get to laughing and I go out and keeping grinning when I really want to choke them out...not that I would, but sometimes it gets you into a more cheeful attitude to imagine it !! LOL..Judy

• cait1
    14 years ago

I'm from NYC so will only allow someone to abuse me just so far; after that, I don't pull punches. Best to get it out and done with. Fortunately, it's never really gotten me into trouble. I'm a firm believer in the First Amendement and freedom of speech is something I hold dear, and I would never say anything to intentially hurt someone's feelings. But that has more to do with having a moral guage than the 1st Amendment. It's unfortunate that some on this forum don't share that conviction as I see 'that' post has now been pulled. It's Orwell's 1984, expunging the written word because it doesn't meet with the approval of certain elite. If it's not there, it never happened, right? Pitiful. This is exactly the kind of stuff I worry about when I say I see America changing, and not for the better, and that I won't have an America to go back home to. I guess I'll just have to make like SNL's Church Lady and say... "Now isn't that special!"

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

LOL I'm not a southern girl but my daddy taught me that lesson a really long time ago....most of the time it works, but sometimes you just have to put them in their place...

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Cait, I don't think any of our Forum got "that post" pulled.
    I would be willing to bet the photos of Evil Twin, TJ, were a little to risque for the Powers at Garden Web who ride herd on things. Personally I found them hysterical, tho I figured some might find them offensive. TJ is a hoot and livens things up at times with her wild ways.

We have a great Forum here, one of the best on Garden Web I'm sure. And in all the time I've been a member, there have been very rare issues. A fact I appreciate since this place is my lifeline, my entertainment, my hot cocoa and warm blankie...or a shot of something stronger. LOL.

hugs, Karen (who still is a southern girl at heart.)

• lindasewandsew
    14 years ago

I hope her little bare pink polyester bu## didn't get the thread pulled. That girl might need her own username, maybe 'looking*for*trouble", lol. Whenever she shows her face (or the other end) on a thread from now on, everyone after might answer with Judy's, "Isn't that nice!!" lol

Could anyone email me that thread or instructions to find a thread that has dropped off? I'm too internet ignorant to know how to do this stuff. In the meantime, TJ's on time out, WITH her clothes on!!!!

Linda

{{gwi:127657}}

• cait1
    14 years ago

Linda.....

ROFLMBCO!!!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I don't think TJ is very contrite about her misadventure...even in Time Out. It looks like she can't help but grope the little athlete next to her. LOL

hugs, Karen

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

I laughed so hard I had to go change my panties Thurs and Fri were long hard days and I didn't to the garden. I worked in the yard and ran errands today then finished a big ole glass of iced tea and didn't think to go potty before I started reading. Oh Yeah I can hear JT saying quietly "Now isn't this nice!" while getting friendly with her Bronco
    LOL
    CT

• akup_a
    14 years ago

"Bless her cottin-pickin' heart"! aka Texan for "isn't that nice". I'd get friendly with that lil' Bronco too! He's so cute & it's DH's favorite team.
    Vickie