Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Stray dog saga

toomuchglass
14 years ago

I know so many of you have pets ( me included ) and love them to death. Here's the saga of my son & the stray dog.

Chris came home from work yesterday & there was this stray dog in his back yard - laying on his deck. Friendly ,lovable , but very unkept and had a straggly old collar with a license from 2005. After asking the neighbors if they know where this dog belongs - they pointed him to a house a block away. Chris took him back & put him in the yard. He told the owner the story & where he lived. Chris said the owner looked like he couldn't care less.

Today - the dog was back on his deck when he got home from work !!! He emailed me with a pic and told me how loving the dog was and he had both gates open to his yard and the dog never tried to leave.

My advice was .... keep the dog till the owner comes looking for it. ( Chris shouldn't have to keep returning him ) Our family adores dogs and gives them the best life possible.... Chris is hoping he never shows up . I told him - if he came around ..... tell him POINT BLANK that "I'll take your dog if you don't want it ". See what he says.

My second thought was .......( if the guy even shows up - I doubt it ) Chris should tell him he hasn't seen his dog and keep him. That dog would have the best life possible with my son . Chris loves dogs & his girlfriend is a groomer.

I sure hope this turns out . I know my 2nd thought is bad ... I don't condone "stealing dogs" .... but in this case - it just seems right.

I hope you won't think I'm a terrible person .

PS ...... if this works out ... *not saying how * but this will change our family in a great way. Maybe it's meantto be !

Comments (6)

• chelcass
    14 years ago

You know I had something like this happen to me several years ago. Cute little dog, female, week later a kid happened by and said it was his dog. Well by this time I was in love with her so I told him to go get his Mom to claim the dog. Few minutes later the little boy returned with a message from his Mom and paperwork (rescued from shelter)on the dog. She said I could keep the dog as they didn't have a fenced yard and she was tired of paying pound fees. Long story short I named her Rags (was Gypsy) and she stayed with us for the rest of her life. Never once ran off.............

Dogs are smart they know who loves them. I think I would wait and see what happens, if after a reasonable amout of time this neighbor doesn't claim the dog I would groom it up, license it and call it mine.

I hope your son gets to keep this angel that was sent to him.

Hugs, Chelcass

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

" BIG ~ DITTO ! ! !"

Dogs are smart and they are LOYAL !!!!

Guess the SMART Doggie Wants/ KNOWS who to
    be LOYAL to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L@@KS like it to ME ! ! !

God Bless !
    Keep us informed !!!!
    SusieSunshine

Your use to be neighbor !
    and still................. close !
    Your son chose an adorable name...

L@@Ks like from Rags to LOYAL RICHES 2 me !!!!!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I doubt the original owner will even come looking for it. I would groom him and feed him and love him right away. Close the gates to keep him safe. Bring him in at night to sleep safe from mosquitoes. Hopefully he is not already infected with heart worms. In that case there is gonna be a lot of Vet costs and heart break if he doesn't make it. It appears that the pup has not had vet care sense 2005.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Dogs know when they're rescued. Sounds like he's looking to get adopted by someone who cares. I agree with the others, and think you should take the steps to make him your own.

I just love dogs .... especially a hound dog. Don't know what it is about those ol hound dogs. Big sad faces, long ears, dunno, just love 'em. ~tenderlee

• luckygal
    14 years ago

What Susie said. And you and your son are wonderful people! Hope it works out really well for all. The dog is really lucky and smart.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I fully support the dognapping! It doesn't sound like the dog's original owner will come looking for him. Maybe once they groom the dog and get him fattened up, the original owner won't even recognize him! he-he I would do the same thing.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!