Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smickerdoodle

Still kicking...

smickerdoodle
14 years ago

I just wanted to let you all know that I survived the first chemo treatment and the first radiation. The chemo treatment yesterday made me really sick. I still can't eat much today but am feeling better. The radiation today made me a little tired but other than that no other side effects.

After having ice cream for dinner I worked on the remodeling of my studio. I have almost all of the paneling up....still have to buy and put up a couple of pieces of insulation before I can finish the paneling. I also started building the storage for my sheet glass. I really want to get it all done before I get too sick to work on it. I will post pictures of it when I get it all done. It isn't garden junk, but it is junk....and I am using a few of the things we use for garden junk as displays for my jewlery. I also plan to try to sell some of my garden junk in it when I get it all done.

Well just wanted you all to know that I am still alive and kicking.

~Micki~

Comments (16)

• leveta
    14 years ago

It's so good to hear from you...Please don't over do...

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Micki, so good to hear from ya. Thought about you all day yesterday. Continued hopes and prayers for a successful & speedy course of treatment!

I realize you don't feel too great, but let us know how you're doing when possible. You're missed when not here.

Big hug ~tenderlee

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Ahhh, smicker, good to read your post! You're on the road to recovery now, girl! Keep up the great attitude & let some of those lovely darlin's of yours help you when they can! Your studio sounds wonderful! Keeping you in thought and prayer. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Its so good to hear from you, Micki. I can't believe all you got done right on top of the two treatments. You are one amazing woman. I can't wait to see your studio!

How are the kids holding up? I know this is so tough on them too. But I'm sure they have the strength and spirit of their Mom to help them thru it.

hugs from the heart,
    Karen

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

Micki, You have to eat and rest! The treatments are hard on you and will make you feel awful but you have to keep up your strength. Fighting to live takes all you can give so if you are feeling so sick to your stomach you can't eat there are many treatments that can help dissipate that nausea and help give you an appetite. Don't try to be strong ASK the DOC. I know keeping your system alkaline is very hard on a person too so ask what vitamins the Doc recommends My friend went on PRE-Natal vitamins and she started feeling a little better after the draining radiation treatments. She is now 5 years cancer free! If you have the determination to work on the remodel of your studio after both treatments I am sure you will kick butt and be fine. Please take care of you and we'll add prayers, laughter and encouragement.
    CT

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I am amazed you are working on your studio after 2 treatments! Remember you're not PG (big energy surge before new arrival)! There are times that you are going to have to let everything go!! You aren't working are you?? Hugs & prayers for you & your family!! Jan

• smickerdoodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My kids are taking it all in stride. I try not to let them get worried. I just want them to have as normal a childhood as they can. Their dad is helping a lot in that area.

I know that I won't be able to do everything I want to do while I am going through the treatments. I am only doing what I feel up to and not pushing myself. When I feel like I need to rest, I do. But I can't see laying around doing nothing if I have the energy to do things. I would rather get things done when I can. Believe me, if the doctors thinks I am overdoing it, they will tie me down and kick butt...lol.

As for the meds to keep the nausea at bay. I tried them the last time around and they just made me more sick. My kidneys don't function they way they need to so the meds just become another toxin in my blood. I have never been able to take vitamin supplements either for the same reason. The doctors are monitoring my blood constantly to make sure that everything is balanced and I am as healthy as can be. I was given the ok to eat whatever I feel like eating...ice cream for dinner...right now. The doctors don't expect me to have much of an appetite and say that I will crave the things my body is lacking. They are also monitoring my weight and other levels in my blood. If I am not getting enough of something or start losing too much weight, they will put me on IV's to get it in. So far other than being tired for a while after the radiation and sick for a while after the chemo, I don't feel too bad. I know that could change quickly, but if I don't stay busy while I feel ok, I will go crazy in short order. The doctor also says that if I am up to doing something, it is better for me to stay active. It keeps me from getting down about everything and keeps the stress level down. Stress is about the worst thing for my kidneys right now...any time I get the least bit stressed out they just simply stop working. That would be really bad about now.

Thank you all for your prayers. It makes a big difference as we all know.

~Micki~

• diggery
    14 years ago

Praying here as well.

blessings on you,

~digger

• nonacook
    14 years ago

We all love you, Micki, and I send encouragement and Prayers.
    Lord, be with Micki, and give her no nausea, no pain, and complete healing. Amen

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Micki~

So glad to hear your update and I can believe you girl!! Working on your studio after cancer treatments...you're an inspiration to all of us!! I'm keeping you in my prayers as well and sending hugs (gentle) to you!!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

It sure sounds like you have terrific doctors on your team.
    And also good news your ex is helping with kids.
    Keeping busy is a great idea, laying around "thinking" sure isn't. After your previous experience, I know YOU know what is best for you and how to deal with things.

Meanwhile we're all loading you up with prayers and good thoughts. (Jason's MIL hit up her senior prayer group with your name too. You're getting known around Phoenix for sure. LOL)

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

It is good to hear you have so much energy and are thinking so positively! Now if I just had a joint for you to light up. he-he I know so many people who went through radiation and chemo and found marijuana to be a real blessing.

Karen, it sounds like the entire city of Phoenix is putting in a good word with the Lord on Micki's behalf! lol! Go, Phoenix!

Micki, I know how much this group's encouragement and support has helped me and Bob this past year so I know what a blessing they all are. I will add my prayers to those in Phoenix and the other Garden Junkers for you, your family and your health care providers! Keep those health updates and pictures of your studio coming!

Hugs,
    Kathy

• princess_mimi
    14 years ago

Sorry, I haven't been here for a while so I just found out about your newest challenge. You will be in my prayers girlfriend!

~~Mimi

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Your goal is to get totally well!!!

Your dream is to win!!!

The attached song fills me with the strength and faith that only a child has. Christ reccommended that we all become as children (in our approach to faith) so that we might SEE His kingdom. One time I was in the hospital and I sang every possitive song that I new (loud and off key). Each line became a declaration of determination. Since this "AIN'T YOUR FIRST RODEO" with chemo you realize that patience and a strong will to "cross the stream" and get to the other side is paramount. Much Love And compassion comes with this message to you. Huggs and an arm around your shoulder as you fight. susie

Here is a link that might be useful: I HAVE A DREAM

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Sending my prayers to the heavens along with all the others.
    vickie

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

PRAYING FOR YOU EVERYDAY!

Luvya

NanaGrandma