Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanagrandma_gw

Need GJ Powerful Prayers Again.

nanagrandma
12 years ago

Doctors here couldn't figure out what is causing so many urinary tract infections, since last Sept, so went to Mayo Arizona last week for tests and I am going back July 14 for more testing and I am asking for prayer that they are able to find cause and treat it. My Michelle is here with me visiting from S.Carolina and she is helping me and DH.

Thank You So Much

Sylvia

Nanagrandma

Comments (44)

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Wishing you hope, peace, and strength.
    Take good care.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear this. Hope they can find out what is happening when you go back. I read your other post 1st so didn't know this yet. Glad your DD is helping you out. Hug & prayers that you get some relief soon, I used to have a lot of them until I started drinking weak tea (didn't like water) Cranberry juice is helpful but don't think you can have that. Keep us updated! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Sylvia~
    Will be praying for you as you go to the doctors again next week and hope that they find the answer for you very quickly. UTI's are so uncomfortable and just zap your strength. Glad that your daughter can be there to help out. Hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!

~M

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Will be praying for you to be strong thru this difficult time and that they can find the problem. You are in my prayers.
    Linda

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Hugs to you, nanagrandma...& prayers coming your way. Miss you, GJ friend...so am happy to see you posting a bit. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Ahh, Sylvia, you've been thru enough without having more tests and doctors and worries. I will pray hard for you, tho I confess you've never strayed far from my prayers. Enjoy Michelle's visit, and find some fun things to do.
    We all have to grab those moments whenever we can I think.

love, Karen

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Sylvia...my thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

Marylee

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Sylvia, I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I'm sure they will find out what is wrong and if anyone can fix it, it is the Mayo Clinic. I just hope it isn't too serious and that the treatment isn't more uncomfortable than the infections. The things we go through as we age, huh? Are you able to drink cranberry juice? From everything I have heard, it works wonders on urinary and bladder infections. But then I am from Wisconsin, which is number 1 in the production of cranberries.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I hope it goes well tomorrow & they find out the cause. I saw an herbal pharmacist on KCAL News 9 at 12:47pm today & he said that this works better then any antibiotic. It causes no side effects(no sugar) as it simply won't let germs coat the linings. It's called Cran-Max 500mg 1 capsule a day so sounds like worth a try. Might have to go on line to find out where you can get it. The pharmacist's name was Dave Foreman. You can go on the Internet & see his report if you want to. It's very short. Hugs & prayers, Jan

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your prayers, unfortunately, when I went to have procedure done, I have another UTI could not have procedure done because it would be dangerous for kidneys. Had to postpone, got antibiotics for infection for 10 days than check out if rid of infection, go back and have procedure done.
    BUT GOD MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING when we got home my husband developed diverticulitis as a matter of fact he had not felt well but because he didn't want to worry me he didn't tell me he was in pain. He is now in hospital since Sunday morning. He is on antibiotics and pain meds. THKS FOR PRAYING! GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND MAY ALL YOUR NEEDS BE MET!
    Sylvia
    NanaGrandma

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

When it rains it pours over there in California, huh? I hope your husband is doing better soon and you too! I will keep you and your DH in my prayers.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

More prayers coming your way, nanagrandma...& hugs to DH, too...may his recovery come soon. Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

No rain here, just lot of sick people. Next door neighbor has been in hospital & rehab since before the 4th,leg pain from infection but don't know where & diabetic,hope she comes through it, then neighbor next to her went in for couple of days,black stools but guess it was medicine so she's doing fine & home. Hope you both can get this all turned around. Nana I would try that Cran-Max capsules,1 500mg capsule a day, no sugar in them & Dr-pharmacist said antibotics would not stop infections but the cranberry stuff makes the linings so the bacteria slip off & pass on out of your body. Hope DH gets feeling better soon, my mom gets bouts of that & no fun at all. Prayers & hugs, Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Sylvia~

So sorry that you have another UTI and that your DH is sick too! Hope both of you feel better very soon and that he comes home soon as well. Prayers still coming your way!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about you and DH. Prayers from Texas coming your way.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Prayers from here!!!

• Addie726
    12 years ago

I am new on the site. I too am having Chronic UTI's. I have been to University of Michigan hospital, Cleveland Clinic, 2 different Infectious Disease Dr.'s. I am at my wits end, they are ruining my life. As soon as i am off antibiotics 3 or 4 days my infection is back. I have been dealing with this for amost 3 years. ANY info would be great! Thank-you! Addie

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanagrandma here, DH is out of hospital and is now healing really well, of course he is on a low fiber diet for about 10 days, plus antibiotics.
    As for me I am soo tired with these infections it just drains you, plus side effects of antibiotics are not fun.
    Addie all kinds of info from lack of hormones, diabetic neurapathy. Mayo will be doing a Urodynamic Study and at same time doing radiology(xrays) during the procedure; hopefully will give them the answer. You can look it up on Mayo website or actually several internet sites. Mayo urologist told me that from now on I have to have urine test by catheter, not what they call the regular flow urine test. He also did a cystoscopy first the bladder looks good that is why I am now having the Urodynamic study.
    Addie hope they find the answer for you too.
    Thanks for your continued prayers!
    God Bless
    Sylvia

• Addie726
    12 years ago

Sylvia, I am glad to hear that your husband is doing better. I did go on hormones after the second year of these infections, I also had a cysto and everything looked good. But week after week I get another infection, and its the antibiotics that are killing me, the give me horrible stomach issues. I have a appointment tuesday and I am going to ask about the test that you are going to be having and see if its something they can do for me. Thankyou for your comments. All the doctors have been doing is just giving me antibiotics, and I just dont know how much longer I can deal with the side effects of the medicine.Thankyou again, and I will pray that your test go well and you get answers to get rid of your infections. Take care, Addie

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I'm so glad to hear your DH is doing better, Sylvia! I hope they figure out your UTI dilemma and get it fixed soon. Addie, I hope you find an answer too. I know too many antibiotics aren't good because your body develops an immunity to them as well as killing the probiotics that your body needs. I'd strongly suggest that when taking antibiotics that you supplement your diet with probiotics or eat plenty of yogurt too.

I love the "diet" cranberry juices on the market now that don't have any added sugars. I can't drink cranberry juice alone but I love it blended with grape juice.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I mentioned above that a pharmacist/dr. was just on news & said antibiodics don't work for urinary tract infections & many people can't take cranberry juice so this product called Cran-Max 500 mg. capsules taking 1 a day keeps the bacteria from sticking to linings of urinary tract & ends the problem. Would be worth checking into it further on the Internet. He wasn't selling the stuff, he was telling about better products to use & more natural stuff. If some condensed cranberry stuff can cure people I can't imagine why people wouldn't try it especially after a physician said antibiotics don't work. Much cheaper & less miserable than side effects from antibiotics. I can look & see how long it takes to work. Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I typed in "Cran-Max capsules" & they range in price 500mg -60 capsules (2 mos supply)from $5 to $58, but Life Extension(I've heard of them) wanted $14 a bottle of 60 if you bought 4 bottles. I guess you have to be on them for rest of your life to keep UTI from coming back. They did tests & cranberry is coming out neck in neck with antibiotics.137 women in latest test 1/2 with Cran-Max rest with 100 mg Trimethoprin after 6 mos results about the same except for side effects with the Timethoprin. I don't like going on sites by pharmacies as they are interested in making big bucks off of drugs, more you take richer they get. Can't charge outrageous amounts for cranberries!! I would look at the Cran-Max ,the guy I told you about further up on post & see what brand he used as I see Life Extension has their own . Douglas labs has article on it & in small letters says who makes it, you want to be sure it has "bio-shield". I think some people are coming out with inferior products-just getting cranberry capsules is not going to do it. Some companies make their stuff in foreign countries & no way to know what you are getting so worth it to go with good company.Compounding pharmacy has to have independent lab check stuff they put in my meds now. Anyway the pharmacist I gave you above actually was telling people that you could get a natural product & get well. So he sounds like he is not "out to take your money" Late, got to get to bed. I did type in "Diabetics & Cran-Max capsules" & a place called Total Health had couple of articles & did say if you are on warfuin Sp ?wrong-blood thinner the capsules could thin your blood some. Hope this helps you out. Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Glad your hubby is home and feeling better! Still praying for your recovery as well...UTI's are terrible things...can't imagine having so many. Hugs to you Sylvia.

• Addie726
    12 years ago

Thanks Jan for the info. I am going to look that up right now. These UTI's are terrible and the antibiotics are worse! I will give anything a try. Addie

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Reason I was interested is my mom had 15 antibiotics in 2 mos. she was in hospital /or rehab a couple years back. She was miserable so sometimes they had to take her off of 1 drug & put her on another. The nurse up there told me most of the residents are on antibiotics rest of their life(probably partly because they put everybody in diapers & don't do best job cleaning up patients. At the time they also had every patient on Detrol so they wouldn't pee as much. This last year when dad was there they had quit that practice. Detrol was $5 a pill, our tax dollars at work!! That was reason mom ended up in hospital to begin with & I kept asking why her feet were cracked & lips were raw all the time. Really dehydrates some people to point of causing mom's shingles she had had earlier to act up. I think I will see if Sam's Club has the Cran-Max or else order it for my mom. Maybe constant irritation is real reason she has to go a lot. She had a lift surgery about 4 yrs ago & didn't help much. Be worth a try. Good Luck! Jan

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I have not taken 'cran-max' but have taken regular
    cranberry capsules when I 'think' I may be close to
    having problems. I had rather take those than to
    drink a ton of cranberry juice. I buy them at the
    vitamin area in Walmart. So far they have worked
    for my minor problems.

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

I'm sending my prayers your way as well. Please keep us all posted. I have an older friend that is going thru something similar. She gets severly dehydrated and ends up hospitalized every few weeks. They diagnose a bladder infection every time, but don't know why.

I'm hoping you make a fast and complete recovery.

• Addie726
    12 years ago

I did have some cranberry pills before but I want to try the cran-max I watched the video and it made alot of sense. I will try anything to stop taking these antibiotics! They are so hard on my stomach, I loose 5 to 7lb every time I am on them longer then 2 weeks. Thanks, Addie

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanagrandma here: I will be going to Mayo on Sunday stay thru Friday for testing, etc I truly believe that the antibiotics are a big big problem. The dr. at Mayo told me that taking just a urinary flow can pick up bacteria from vaginal and rectal area and you really don't have a UTI, he told me that from now on only catheter urine tests. I started taking probiotics Culturelle that pharmacist recommended and they have kept the sideeffects away this time. I also am going to look into cran-max it is all natural and what can it hurt! I do drink lots of water so that should keep me hydrated. Addie I do hope you find answers and any I find I will pass on to you.
    SunnyCal oh your poor mom I know what you mean about different antibiotics, if you complain abou sideeffects of one they just put you on another and don't finish the first batch and so you have all these pills lying around doing no good except making money for pharmaceuticals, HA!!
    Well thanks for posting and praying I will pray for everyone and God Bless All of You.

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanagrandma here, Mayo found problem and solution. I do need hormones but the ones they are giving me are called vagifem which I insert and I have an immune disease called vulvar lichen sclerosis which can be controlled with steroids. This disease is not contagious but it is very uncomfortable, itching, burning. If I can control these two things hopefully my UTI's will be less frequent. Addie if you would like to send me an email I can explain more via email. Now that I know that it is not the "Big C" I will not get myself all stressed out. Thank You for praying for me and my DH is almost fully recovered. I will continue to go to Mayo for checkups because I do trust the doctors there. God Bless You all and Happy Health to each and every one of my GJ friends!

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanagrandma here, Mayo found problem and solution. I do need hormones but the ones they are giving me are called vagifem which I insert and I have an immune disease called vulvar lichen sclerosis which can be controlled with steroids. This disease is not contagious but it is very uncomfortable, itching, burning. If I can control these two things hopefully my UTI's will be less frequent. Addie if you would like to send me an email I can explain more via email. Now that I know that it is not the "Big C" I will not get myself all stressed out. Thank You for praying for me and my DH is almost fully recovered. I will continue to go to Mayo for checkups because I do trust the doctors there. God Bless You all and Happy Health to each and every one of my GJ friends!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

GREAT NEWS Sylvia! So glad that you are able to be treated and that you will be feeling better soon! And I'm also really happy that your DH is doing so well!

WOOOHOOO!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yes, great news, nanagrandma! Mayo is a wonderful place when you need it...so was University of Iowa Hospitals when I needed it. Take good care of yourself & listen to what your body needs (sometimes that's a hard thing) ...will keep you in good thought & prayer. Hugs to your DH, too. Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Glad things are looking 'better' for both you and your DH.
    Hopefully you will soon both be completely well and on the right track. Being able to trust your doctors means a lot.....Prayers.....

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Glad they got to the bottom of what was going on! That is half the battle or more! Good that DH is doing better too. Both of you will be enjoying life a lot more soon with all this stress off of you. Hugs & prayers, Jan

• Addie726
    12 years ago

Hi Nanagrandma! I am happy you are feeling better and have answers. I would love to hear more. I just finished antibiotics about a week ago and now I have another UTI. I am so discouraged! I am on a hormone patch, and using vagifem twice weekly. The antibiotics are killing my stomach when I am on them I am afraid to even leave the house. I would love to hear more about what the Mayo Clinic told you and more about the symptoms of Vulvar Lichen Sclerosis when you have time. My email is Adeline726@gmail.com Thankyou so much!!!!! Adeline

• diggery
    12 years ago

Keeping you both in prayer here...

~digger

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Addie, Do you use something like Activia to help with your stomach while you are on antibiotics? Or another 1 with active cultures. That's what helps my mom. Hope you & Sylvia are both doing better, prayers still being said. Jan

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunnyca I can't use Activa or yogurt because I am lactose intolerant but my husband is now using Activa and it is working great for him. What I take is Culturelle which has the cultures I need. Thanks for reminding me though. Hope your Mom is feeling better. Please look up this website it has a lot of info on Lichen Schloroses that I have and maybe your mom may be infected with this too. here is Mayo website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lichen-sclerosus/DS00725/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

and

anhttp://womenshealth.about.com/cs/linchensclerosis/a/lichensclerosus.htm

other website with more info

The reason I suggest this is because I took so many antibiotics which gave me yeast infections or so I thought, the symptoms for yeast and Lichen are very similar.
    Hope this helps you I also researched and found that UTI's are very often misdiagnozed because they are not using a catheter to get the urine, the regular
    flow way" can gather bacteria from other areas near your bladder and that is what is showing up as a UTI when it isn't.

• Addie726
    12 years ago

Sunnyca! I did buy a probiotic but i felt like it made my stomach worse. i wonder if i didnt give it enough time. But your right because of all these antibiotics i do have a problem with the yeast infections. I just feel one thing leads to another.I can not tell you how i HATE to have to go on the sntibiotics, I know they don't bother some people at all but they make me so weak and depressed because I spend half the day by the restroom, afraid to even go to the store. Thankyou for the info, i will try the probiotic again. Take care Adeline

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Addie I am a diabetic so I can't take cranberry juice, but I am going to take the tablets, and I have been taking the probiotics as a matter of fact both my DH and I are taking it. Probably with all the antibiotics we have been on all our good bacteria has been killed and it is going to take us time to get ourselves cleaned out of the antibioitics, I for one am going to go the natural way, if I get another UTI what can it hurt since antibiotics aren't working anyway only making it worse.

Good Luck and please keep in touch I know how depressed you get when you are too tired to move or go anywhere because you have to be right next to bathroom! Praying for you!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I discovered Activia myself even tho I am lactose intolerant. I take the pills in morning by Equate(Wal Mart) that are about same as Lactaid, I had tried the other 1 can't remember what it is called but it didn't help at all. I was taking lot of meds for headaches & my stomach has always been touchy(like my dad's).I had taken a number of probiotics from health food stores but I think when it is in a pill it is probably dead as never helped. Activia got rid of my hurting stomach in about 2 weeks taking 2 a day. Easy as I liked most of the flavors. It was advertised for stomach problems back then & later changed to sound more like a laxative! Now I think they say it makes "you feel better" (somebody probably sued) I had looked up what could be wrong & it sounded like I was getting where my intestines couldn't handle food any more. As with anything some things work for some & other things for others. Otherwise 1 antibiotic would be all that was needed for everybody. Our 98 or so elements seem to be slightly different in each person making it where each person needs meds just for them. Mom got her 1st UTI from them putting in catheter & leaving it in too long, that really set her on bad course. About 80% of meds act against her so it is difficult when she has to change something. Hope she does better after getting pacemaker after dr. gets back from vacation. Jan

• Addie726
    12 years ago

Sylvia, Thankyou for the prayers! All this info is very helpful and interesting to me. Please keep me posted on how you are doing. I would much rather take natural products. So when you do get a UTI, do you take antibiotics? I wish I never had to take another one again!When I finish them by the time my stomach feels better, i have another UTI(about2 weeks). Stay well! Adeline @Jan, I hope your mom is doing better!

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunny wow I want to try activa because it is working so well with my husband but I am afraid to because my stomach really gets upset when I have dairy products. Like right now my stomach is hurting and I don't know why, but I am taking Culturelle it is a pill though and phayzme which is over the counter I have had several stomach scopes and they have not found anything, which is good, but they do say my stomach lining is inflamed. But I am definitely going to go natural so if I try Activa I will let you know.
    Addie, did you see SunnyCal comment about the catherer giving her mom an infection maybe that could be the case with you because you have so many of them. I feel for you because I am always depressed because I can't go anywhere which makes it worse, but I am promising myself I can overcome this. When you feel depressed email me you have my address and we can talk.
    God Bless you both here goes a pray up for you.....PLEASE DEAR LORD HELP MY FRIENDS