Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

An Update on Ol' Toeless & PC

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

I'm not sure if I mentioned when our computer crashed while Bob was in the hospital that one of Bob's friends bought us a Windows XP disk on eBay since we never got a disk with our computer. Bob reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP. Well, for some reason the key wasn't accepted by Microsoft so we kept getting messages that we had a counterfeit copy of the software. Because of that, we were unable to update anything.

I couldn't get on the internet for the past couple of days and we were going to buy a new computer until we started pricing them. It seems that places like Best Buy will give you a low price but when you start adding on new software, anti-virus software, etc. it ends up costing about $200 more than the price tag. Bob and I couldn't decide which computer to get so we finally caved and took ours in to get it fixed by the guy who built it for $50.

We got it home and I'm finally back on the internet without a counterfeit copy of XP. lol! It is so nice not to get that message and to be able to download updates. Plus I have my Microsoft Office again! Yeah!

As for Ol' Toeless ... I took him to his toe doctor today for a checkup. I am happy to say, the doctor said his foot looked "100 times better" than it did the last time we were there and he is "very happy" with the way it is healing. Woo-hoo! Bob will have to continue having the nurse come every day to clean it and change the dressing but we are thinking in a few more weeks, we will see how it is progressing and then the doctor can show me how to do it and Bob won't need to be "house bound" any more to get the nursing care.

So it looks like Ol' Toeless will be able to keep his 3 other piggies for now ... hopefully for good but you never know with diabetics.

Thank you for all your prayers! I know God was so bombarded with prayers that He thought He better help this crazy guy out just to shut everyone up. he-he You folks are the greatest!

Hugs & Kisses,

Kathy

Comments (17)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

SOOO happy that Bob is doing so much better!! And isn't it nice when your computer actually works like it's suppose to!

Hugs,
    Marlene

• ncshabbybeach
    14 years ago

Kathy
    Happy to hear your toeless news! It is wonderful that you can have a good time even with all that is going on! You are a light in the darkness!!! Great you got your Puter going too! I would miss ya here!
    Carrie

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Glad your life is getting back on track!! I often ask friends "how are you doing?" They will say "same old boring life." I respond "boring is good, not in a hospital,not in terrible pain, roof over our heads, life is good!" They usually grin & agree. Did Bob get someone to fix his house so it can be sold?? If he goes back to work on it he needs thick soled shoes, I guess he needs them all the time, Can he get a shoe on yet? Amazing how we get upset without our computers when we didn't even have 1 most of our lives. My microwave oven is even more important. In the heat of summer everything goes in it. Oh, if your microwave doesn't work unplug it& look to see where little panel is & remove the screws & replace the fuse!! I've told people at YS's that when they had a nice 1 sitting there, broke- replace the fuse!! One lady ran up to me in grocery store & told me she was so glad I told her.(How many of us read the book that comes with appliances?)Hoping Bob will soon be healed! Jan

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

I am so glad things are going your way again, because when it rains it seems to poor. We should all thank God for our health and also,computer promblems are the worst.But you always have a good attitude that makes me smile.
    Syble

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I'm so glad Kathy!
    kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan, Bob is being a brat! I keep asking if he has called building inspection to make sure the 3 Stooges that worked on his house got the work completed up to code. Of course, he hasn't yet. There were a few other code violations they found while doing the last inspection. I'm not sure how he is going to get it all done without being able to leave the house.

One of his biggest problems is he wants to get some furniture, tools, etc. out of his house before he can sell it. He is at the point where he is willing to take whatever he can get for it. Unfortunately with his foot the way it is, he can't get the things out of his house and doesn't have any able bodied friends/family to do it for him.

I guess it is up to me to call building inspection and see what I can do myself. *sigh*

Thanks for asking and thank you all for your prayers!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Luna, don't be too hard on Bob! Probably certain amount of depression goes with losing part of foot & taking so long to heal. Just glad it is getting there & will soon be well. When it is your foot you have to stay off of it really cramps your style!Trips to bathroom & kitchen aren't that exciting!! LOL Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Kathy, I am so happy for you that you have your computer back. And great news Bob's foot is healing well. Whew. Its been a rough road for you two. Prayers still coming! I especially hope to see you in a house someday and busy decorating a yard to share with us! I know that's a dream that will come true, you've "earned" it, Girl.

hugs, Karen

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Prayers still with you woman & your sweetie pie Bob ... Judy

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! We still have a computer glitch (Microsoft Office doesn't work ... I can view documents on it but can't alter them) and Bob's foot is still doing fine. We really appreciate all the prayers and well wishes!

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Say a little prayer for my Ol' Toeless Bob. The city is picking on him again over this $&*# white elephant of a house he owns and wants to sell after he gets his things out of it. His house isn't in that bad of shape but he had some building code violations last year that he couldn't get completed due to his double bypass, colon cancer and a bad lung infection. So the city took him to court a few months ago. He got most of the work done and they came out and found more. He was working on the house when he stepped on the nail that resulted in his losing two toes. Now he has to go to court tomorrow morning and he is sick with worry. His attorney called him tonight to let him know. Nothing like finding out at the last minute! So say a few prayers that everything works out fine for him and he doesn't have to worry so much.

Thank you! You folks are the best!

Hugs,
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear they are causing him so much grief!! Sure didn't give him much notice but I guess less time to get worked up about it. Hugs & prayers for good outcome!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I'll be thinking about him and you too!!!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Can he put his stuff in storage and get rid of the darn place!!! Too much for both of you right now! Good thoughts coming your way! Hang in there! Jeanne S.

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

Ms Kathy ~Special Thoughts & Extra Prayers are headed ya'lls
    way !
    ~ ~ ~ One Day at a Time ! ~ ~ ~
    Remember to take care of you too ! ! !

God Bless !
    SusieSunshine

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Good Grief, don't those City folks ever give a guy a break?
    Bob has plenty of reasons for not "complying" the way they want, so it wouldn't hurt them to back off and give him more time.
    I hope all this is over soon, and in Bob's favor. You two really need a breather from all that's been dumped on you the past year!!

hugs,
    Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, they are charging him a fine but it will be decreased if he gets the work done within a month. His attorney referred a nice guy to do the work so hopefully he can finish everything and get the city off of Bob's back. I want to scream everytime I see his house because all the houses around his are in worse shape than his is. There is always grafitti on the garages and garbage strewn all over the alley. But by God, Bob better get HIS house fixed! Ack! I hate the City of Milwaukee. Their priorities here are way out of wack. Building code violations are more important than murders, burglaries and vandalism.

We'd love to get Bob's stuff into storage, in fact he has a storage locker he is renting for just that purpose. The problem is, no one to help move the stuff. I'm not worth much and Bob has moved some things despite his missing toes and the doctor's orders. Where is a supportive, helpful family when you need one? Hopefully, once his house is up to snuff with the city, we can work on getting his things out and get rid of the big white elephant (my pet name for it).

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure they helped us in getting this resolved without too much stress.

Hugs,
    Kathy