Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

Say a little prayer for me ...

luna_llena_feliz
13 years ago

We must have some mold somewhere in our new house because I get such a headache when I'm there. I have such an aversion to mold that I sense when there are potatoes or some other vegetable going bad nearby. The basement is damp and some drywall is discolored from mold (not the black variety) so I'm thinking that is it. I told Bob to get rid of the drywall and he is buying a dehumidifier for the basement that will hopefully do the trick. I was encouraging him to buy one that would dehumidify the whole house but it costs about $2,000 versus the $125 for the smaller one he wants to buy. His dad's basement got flooded and his brother is using one of the smaller ones there and it seems to be working. Say a little prayer that it does the trick and I am able to actually stand being in the house without feeling miserable.

Comments (14)

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Luna we were told that we had mold we replaced the affected drywall with some special green colored rot resistant drywall and than we went all around the kitchen and laudry room area wiping it down with bleach in a spray bottle, It worked. we even sprayed the attic. At our place on Catalina Island we always get some mold spots and we just clean up with bleach it works everytime. Good Luck Praying that Jesus will make it an easy fix. As for you please please use a NetiPot to clear your nasal passages, I can recommend it highly, when I was at Mayo the doctor prescribed it to keep my nasal passages clean and believe me it works.
    Luvya and I just know your little house is going to be so darling when you start fixing it up! (*~*) (:

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

So sorry! Good luck.
    I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your renos remodelings and garden!
    Kathy

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Prayers said!!!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Looks like you are identifying the problem...get rid of the dry wall, for sure! When are you moving? And, luna, think about having your craft room upstairs (even if you have to do steps)...you would for basement, anyway. That way, you can get good fresh air when you need it! Ok, I've preached! Good thoughts coming your way! Jeanne S.

• debby_md_z7
    13 years ago

sent your way
    debby

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope you have found the source & will soon be breathing fresh air again & enjoying your new house. Hugs & prayers coming your way that you get the house safe & so you can enjoy it with Bob & get on with making GJ treasures! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The poor house has been shut up for months now so hopefully with a good cleaning (which I'll have to hire someone to do because I can't do it myself), getting rid of the moldy drywall and a dehumidifier, it should be fine. I'm assuming some water got in after a horrible rain storm here a few weeks ago. I don't remember the house giving me such a headache or smelling as musty when we first looked at it.

Lots of work needs to be done. Bob has been busy straightening (literally) the 2 car garage. It was leaning a few inches and he has a come-along that he can wench it back in place and then reinforce it. The garage will stand for a while as-is but the leaning will make it hard to open and close the doors.

Bob has also been busy pulling up the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom. We were looking at flooring this past weekend and there are so many freakin' choices! lol! It makes it so hard to decide. I found some cool ceramic tile that looks like wood and picked out some granite tile to cover the existing countertop.

It has been too hot for me to work in the garden so no progress there. I would like to have a 6' wooden fence put around the yard before the snow flies just so we have some privacy in the yard. There is only a 3' ugly chainlink fence now.

The posts holding up the porch roof also have to be replaced. Bob should be able to handle that. When that's done, I'd like to have the house painted.

Oh and the interior needs to be painted and the wood floors refinished. That just about does it. lol

It will probably be a few months before we can move in. We will probably move things as we progress on the house. I just didn't want to have to work on it around all the furniture and appliances.

Wish us luck!

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Prayers and good thoughts for you two... I so wish we lived closer...I would so be there in a heartbeat to help you guys! It's a slow process but you're on your way!!! I'm so happy for you two! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I was certain that I posted here before!!!
    Lost in cyberspace I guess.
    Anyway, bleach seem to be the way to get rid of some of the mold, after the moldy sheetrock (drywall) is torn out. Prayers!!!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Houses are both wonderful and a constant pain in the tush...but I am as happy as I can be for you and Bob! I hope that the dehumidifier will do the trick for you and that you will feel better soon. Just take one step at a time....but you know that already. I'm pushing more prayers your way from the east!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Luna, in spite of being 'missing in action' lately, I have been lurking and trying to keep up on things. Hope you know that I always keep you and Bob close to heart and in my thoughts. After last year, I want this one...and the next...to be the BEST ever as you settle into your new home. You deserve it.

hugs, Karen

• smickerdoodle
    13 years ago

Luna so nice to hear about your house! I haven't spent much time online lately since I don't currently have internet in the house. The small dehumidifyer should do just fine. My basement gets wet every time it rains and I, like you, am very allergic to the mold. I put a small dehumidifier down there right after we moved in and the only time I notice the mold is if noone remembers to go down and empty it. I also would put the craft room upstairs if you can. So much better air as well as light. If you have a problem killing the mold by just wiping it with bleach, try spritzing it with a spray bottle of bleach and letting it set for a few minutes. It might take a couple of tries but it will all die if you use bleach on it.

Micki

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

So glad you got your house! Hope everything is working out with the mold. Sounds like Bob is really earning his keep this week. Nice to have a handy guy around the house. There's always something. You've been so wanting your own house and yard, I know you will be happy when you can finally get moved in. Enjoy! Donna

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the well wishes and great suggestions! Bob's brother is in the process of fixing up their dad's house to sell it (Bob's dad passed away a couple of days after Thanksgiving last year). A few weeks ago, we had a heavy rain storm here and the basement flooded at his dad's house. They cleaned it up and used a mid-size dehumidifier and it has worked. Bob's brother was going to get us one like it from whoever he bought the one for their dad's house. We are hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

Bob had the a/c on at the house for 4 or 5 days. The last time I was there, it still smelled a little musty but I didn't get a horrific headache so I think it's getting better. The dehumidifier should do the trick. I will try working with some bleach too.

See, I feel better airing this to y'all ... it's like therapy. lol

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville