Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Irene reports: Is eveyone ok?

concretenprimroses
12 years ago

We are fine, just a quite a few small branches in the yard and a lilac's main trunk down. But a few miles away is a lot of destruction from flooding. Our home is on high ground so we were more worried about the wind. We were in the center, apparently, and it was only like a regular storm with lots of rain.

Lots of big and small stores closed along the CT river on the west side of town. Up to 3 feet of water running through the ailes on Sunday. Lots of people out of work. Where the stores are was beautiful farm land when I was a kid. My dad always said it was not a good place to build, but nothing happened for decades until now. (of course its flat a rare thing around here, as well as the crossing of 2 interstate hwys.)

Many homes and businesses lost nearby in VT. And also some destruction to the east of us. I haven't reached a friend out there yet. Lots of phones are out.

I havent' ventured far to see anything for myself. My side of town and where I also work are ok thanks in part to a lot of water being let out of a nearby lake a few days before and in anticipation of the storm. The lake absorbed the water flowing west toward us so it didn't flood the small river that runs through town.

No loss of life in our immediate area.

Kathy

Comments (6)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Glad to hear you and your family are okay Kathy! Here in Frederickburg, VA, we faired pretty well. Lots of leaves and small limbs down, but we didn't lose power or phone. But, just to the south of us they are still out of electricity. It's like the storm just jumped around. We're very thankful that we had no real damage. Our neighbors to the north and south were not so lucky and my prayers are with them. The last hurricane we had, we were without power for nine days and that seems like forever when you're living it.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Good to hear from both of you...so many disasters lately! Lots of re-building ahead! Thanks for posting, gals! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Glad to see that all who posted are alright.
    Thank goodness, it slowed to cat 1.
    After Ivan we were without power for 13 days, and
    without water (A main broke) for 8 days.
    That's a long time without hot water when you're hot and dirty from cuttin' and draggin' limbs....

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I'm so happy to hear that no one had any horrible problems! I can't imagine being without power or water for so long. When I'm without power for a few hours it's too long. And when I went for 3 days without water it was a major catastrophe. Gives you a good idea of what it was like living back when there was no electricity or running water. Not my idea of a great life!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Glad everyone is OK. In '71 quake I had no power, water or gas for 9,11 & 13 days, don't remember which came on 1st probably electricity as I boiled water to wash dishes & bathe 15 mo old & 2 1/4 yr old in baby tub, fixed hubby's coffee on BBQ with Charcoal things,worst was earth shook continually for 6 weeks, at 1st some of us thought it was our nerves but it was kind of like sitting in a bowl of Jello, when the ground under your feet moves all the time, it really does something to you, nothing is safe any more, still prefer quakes to water & I grew up on a lake, swam in it in summer, ice skated on it in winter. Rushing water or flooded basement or any other floor along with electricity is very scarey. Falling trees would be frightening especially around your house. Hope rest of year quiets down. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know. Though I think I'd rather be without power than having my first floor and all my possessions covered with stinking mud. Lots of people turned out to volunteer and help people dig out, I read. We were away at a family wedding. Now they are waiting for it to dry out enough to start bleaching and re sheet rocking.
    Kathy

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals