Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Earthquake!!

Marlene Kindred
12 years ago

For those of you who don't know, we Virginians had an earthquake on Tuesday afternoon! Now, we've had small tremors in the past, but this bad boy was 5.8 on the scale. Did some major damage to some old, historical buildings in the state and my city, Fredericksburg, did some rockin' and rollin' too. The epicenter of the quake was only about 25 miles south of us. It picked my van up and jumped it around and I could actually see the new plantings in the parking lot I was in heaving up and down in the ground. It was a wild time. My DD was home alone and it scared the daylights out of her because things started jumping off of shelves and breaking. She lost several things, but none too precious. We spent some time cleaning up and putting things back in place. Last night, at 1 a.m. we were jolted awake by a 4.5 aftershock. Wowzer! Not used to having these around this area. Now, we're gearing up to see how much rain Hurricane Irene is going to bring us. It's been a bit of a frazzling week and since I work at the area University and this is move in week for students, all I can say is that I'm REALLY glad tomorrow is Friday!! Hope you all have had a much quieter week than I have!

Comments (7)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

This is all so quite scary out your way, Marlene...I've read notes from many of our GJ & Holiday Forum friends who may have issues from Irene & also your earthquake. I can't imagine...would seem so weird if we had one in IA! So I am glad that has settled down for you & what work! These diasters always make much work for everyone! Good luck & will keep you & others in good thought & prayer over the next few days. I'm glad tomorrow is Fri. for you, too! Exciting that college is starting!
    Jeanne S.

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Marlene, you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since the earthquake and now with Irene heading your way You are in my prayers even more.

I certainly wish this crazy weather would straighten it's self out. These past few years have been rough. Between earthquakes, floods (last year here) and now these terrible hurricanes what is next.

God Bless dear friend and stay safe. Hugs to your daughter.

Chelcass

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Glad you are OK.
    I thought about you when I first heard about
    the 'quakes.
    Saying prayers about the hurricane coming your way.
    I hope it weakens before it reaches you.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I'm old pro at quakes having been through 2 major ones so expect some more aftershocks for next month, probably getting smaller all the time but can be over 5. Just learn to checkout your house & get glass stuff off the nightstands,& make someplace "safe to run to-trick is run to right away- don't wait to see how bad it is going to be. 1st 1 I picked glass out of my feet for couple of weeks & wore slippers. If you have natural gas stove or hot water heater have a pipe wrench near the shutoff as after the quake you could have leak, don't turn it off unless you smell something (takes them long time to get out & turn it back on). Usually that is after 6 point or more quake, that you worry about that. Watch your animals, they usually know or howl before it comes or your cat will be edgy. I'll take quakes any day over floods,winds, hurricanes etc. Am praying that Irene will go back out to sea & leave U.S. alone, folks here have had enough to deal with in last few years, almost everyone has had some kind of disaster. Give your DD hug for me! Jan

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Marlene, you are having a bit too much "excitement" compliments of Mother Nature. She better not mess up your beautiful gardens and GJ stuff!

I hope all our GJ family in the path of Irene will not have any problems other than too much rain. From what I keep hearing and reading, the predictions for loss of electricity is enough to worry anyone. And the poor repairmen who will have to deal with Irene's wrath are also in my prayers.

This year is certainly one for the record books! I honestly don't remember so many devastating weather systems hitting our entire country. (better make that World, other countries have also been hit hard).
    Does anyone besides me think Mother Nature is "royally
    pi--ed" at us? Sure seems like to me.

Marlene, keep checking in as often as you can please.
    hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of the good wishes and prayers...they did the trick. Irene howled her way through here yesterday and last night and we managed to keep our power the whole time and all of our trees, etc. made it through without a lot of damage. Had a few smaller limbs and lots of leaves on the ground, but all in all, we were VERY fortunate!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Glad it went well & you still had power! Folks called in a panic yesterday afternoon when it was 110 0n their patio-power was out. Wow! I called bro & SIL said bring them out there. Can't get dad in wheelchair out front, garage door too heavy to lift & hold while driving car out. Lucky neighbor lady helped me. I took 2x4xht (board)of door over this morning after we got back. They have got to get generator hooked into their natural gas. Risky moving old folks in that kind of heat! Hope all those folks along the Irene route without electricity don't have a heat wave too. Continuing prayers.Watch those tree limbs as you cut them, can be really dangerous!! Jan

Sponsored