Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Asking a favor -- Driftwood

toomuchglass
14 years ago

Driftwood is scarce here - I even live on the shores of lake Michigan . Nothing . Nada. When Chris & I took our boat out and cruised along the shores -- there was tons of it on beaches that we just couldn't get to . The water was too shallow and BOULDERS were under the water ! I haven't stopped thinking about that since. I'm making windchimes out of the smaller pieces ( about 8" long ) and who knows what if I get a large piece. I'd gladly pay for postage (gulp - here I go again - supporting the P.O. ! ) LOL

If you have any odd pieces laying around - could you spare some ? I'm a nature nut . Anything natural is a treasure to me ! Let me know & Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

**** PS .... I village won't let me change my profile with my current email address - if you post here - I can email you .

PSS ..... Before anybody thinks I sailing along on a yacht .......( I wish ) WRONG ! It's a Plain Jane - 16' fishing boat. No big deal ! LOL

PSSS - the only place I've seen to buy some is a pet store that sells fish ... the price is outrageous.

****** OK **** I'm done ...heheh

Comments (11)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Well no, I figured you had a set of oars or small outboard motor on a 4 seater,cause that is what I had!! Yacht never entered my head!! We have driftwood out here but I haven't been to get any for ages, might not let you anymore. Used to be place out by a fire station & creek & we asked & 1 of firemen said, yes, less to burn if there is a fire. So we got lucky.I used the last of it in my garden, I used it for floral arrangements I sold & gave as gifts. I imagine it's in very short supply with so many out of work trying to figure out ways to make money. Can't reach the shore from land anywhere?? Sounds like some of beaches in Oregon with big old stumps & trees in water that are something out of "ghost stories" Hope someone has some!! Jan

• chelcass
    14 years ago

If I was at my house in michigan I could get you all kinds. it washes up all the time. I have a suggestion on shipping that will save you a few (several) pennies. Instead of using the post office use Fed ex. they are always cheaper..............stay away from UPS they are more expensive then the post office. We live by a creek so I will look around for you. What sizes are you wanting.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well- windchimes look good if the wood is between 6 & 8 " . I have one more beach I'm going to try ...

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

If all else fails, try eBay - there's lots for sale on there.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow-I never thought of e bay !

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

LOL, eBay is always on my mind. Gets me in trouble just like Goodwill and Michaels Crafts.
    The small pieces of driftwood are pretty darn reasonable looks like, check this auction out.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: driftwood

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

2much...you may want to take a trip to the West...across to Minnesota! That's where our little ol' 14' boat finds a bit of driftwood...while vacationing! Tho' ebay may be cheaper!!!

I use driftwood in my gardens (BIG ones!) rarely that lucky! And also small ones on birdhouses. Good luck to ya & please share pics of your new windchime projects! Jeanne S.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

wait til a good storm is over then go look

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

When I could get around better, I used to find some along the shore in Grant Park. You know where you go through that cute little arch with the cool blurb about nature on it? Then you have to go down a hundred steps to get to the beach. Kids used to use driftwood as firewood for bonfires down there. Haven't been there in ages but its the first place I think of for driftwood around here.

• gersch
    14 years ago

I have several pieces that I would be happy to send you! I've gotten mine at Van Buren State Park next to South Haven in the Spring/early Summer. I live in South Bend, about an hour away, but try to get there most Sundays. The beach also has a fair amount of rocks, fossils, petosky's and beach glass (my favorite) and best of all the DNR says take whatever you want! What part of Michigan are you in? Let me know if you're interested!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gersch -- I'm in Milwaukee - WI -- right across the lake from you ! I'd love to have some if you'd like to part with it !
    My Email is --- Levandoski812@att.net

I'll pay for postage for everything you have !!!

~Kathy~ toomuchglass !

YIPPEE !!!

Sponsored