Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

To Pray or not to Pray?

luna_llena_feliz
13 years ago

I was reading an article on MSN about the horrific natural gas line explosion and fire in San Bruno, California. After the article, readers could post comments. I was both disgusted and appalled that a flaming fight ensued over prayers being said for those who survived or were otherwise adversely affected by the explosion and fire. A few atheists said they were offended by that others would pray for the victims. WTF? I couldn't believe how heated it got. After a while, the tragedy took a backseat to whether people have the right to pray for someone else. Crazy isn't it? Both sides got rather heated and names were called.

I guess I believe in the power of prayer. Whether it is actually God making a move or some other spiritual power, i couldn't say. Heck, even if it is the result of positive energy accumulated by kind thoughts, I wouldn't care. To me, when someone says they will pray for someone, it is an expression of compassion and caring. Even if the greater power does nothing, just the kindness and thoughtfulness of the person offering to pray is enough to comfort someone.

One man who posted said he was an atheist but he wasn't offended when friends offered to pray for him after his wife died. He thought of it as a kind thought.

What do you think? Are we secretly offending people by posting about prayers on this forum?

Comments (10)

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

What I find appalling is the "third party/dictator" attitude of some. It's fine if someone asks you not to pray for them personally but to tell you not to pray for someone else? Who do these people think they are!
    I think they are afraid that the prayers will be successful and that challenges their atheistic views. Sort of a "I have my mind made up so don't give me any facts or reality"attitude.
    Re: secretly offending
    I don't think anyone is trying to offend others on the sly, are they? I hope not. Everyone on this forum is always so polite and caring.

The bottom line (literally): Prayer works!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

I totally agree with what both of you said...........And I for one truely believes PRAYER WORKS!! I feel very priviledged when someone offers a prayer for me or a loved one.....there is no such thing as too many prayers! So I say PRAY ON..........& on...........& on!!!

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Someone gets offended for offering up prayers for those affected by a tragedy? GIVE ME A BREAK! They are the same one who call out "lawsuit" when they dump HOT coffee in their own laps. Let them stew in their own offended-ness! That's all I have to say.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

A lot of people seem to think that being on Internet is their own private world & they can run other peoples lives. If prayer offends then click that post off, no one forcing you to read it. Go to a site where there are no prayers. Used to be saying "no atheists in foxholes" don't know if that still holds or not. I've seen pics from latest war & opposite seems to be true. When you see your comrades drop, you wake up very fast. I once heard a lecture about Darwin & others like him about what they were like at end of their lives. Mostly scared they were going to have to answer to God. Prayer makes life much better & has often worked for me, God doesn't always give us what we want, sometimes the answer is "no" or "not yet" Can't imagine getting through this life with no one to turn to, must be lonely & depressing to depend on yourself! Jan

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kathy, I really like how you put it...
    "To me, when someone says they will pray for someone, it is an expression of compassion and caring. Even if the greater power does nothing, just the kindness and thoughtfulness of the person offering to pray is enough to comfort someone."

I never really thought about the power of prayer till my son was severely burned. But so many strangers prayed for him (and our family) and I witnessed so many miracles during Jason's long recovery, that I will never doubt the power of prayer! Since then, I've seen it work many times.

Jan, that saying " "no atheists in foxholes"" will always be true I think!

As for folks who leave comments on stories in the news, I had to quit reading them as it just astounded me what some people would write. Made me sick actually.

I am praying for those in that awful fire. Such a horrible tragedy.
    hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I think one reason that those who profess to be atheists find it offensive when someone prays for them or for someone else is because to be an atheist, one has to be overwhelmingly selfish because they believe in nothing but themselves and their own power. For someone to pray for another and to care for another, they have to be unselfish enough to believe that they are not the sole supreme being in this world. Prayer is a very personal thing and to put it simply, it is talking to and with God. It's hard for some people to believe in something other than themselves, but for whatever reason, God keeps loving them in spite of their rejection. Prayer is quite possibly the most powerful force in the world and we are free to pray whenever and for whomever we choose....so, keep lifting them up!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I certainly believe in prayer!!!
    And am so thankful that the folks on garden junk
    prayed (for me and) for Bill when he was sick. I
    fully believe that he had less pain, because people
    were praying for 'no pain'. I continue to pray for
    for 'no pain' when I hear of someone that is ill.
    Sometimes there is a 'no' answer to prayer, like
    sunnyca mentioned, but there are too many 'yes'
    answers for me not to believe! If you can't think of
    anything to say you can always pray for someone....

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Marlene: Good point on the selfishness of atheists. I have run into this very thing on several occasions.
    I'm not saying all atheists are self-centered but so many of them are it does seem to be a common thread. They are their own god.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Interesting observation, Marlene. The few atheists I've known are nothing like that! They are very giving and caring of others and not in the least self-centered. And grateful when someone cares enough to offer them prayers in spite of their beliefs. I'm glad I don't know the kind you described.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have some online acquaintances who are Wiccan. They too seem to be offended by prayer and have an aversion to Christians. It kind of surprises me because they believe in a higher spiritual power and for all they know, it's the same one the Christians pray to. lol!

I always admire people who strive to be and do good; who believe and have faith in something/someone more powerful than mankind. I don't care who they are praying to, I guess it is the thought behind the prayer that counts the most to me.