Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

story and VIDEO on my son Jason

Purplemoon
15 years ago

I was reading the National Cops web site tonight, and there was a story on Jason! He'd gone to CO last Monday to speak to a group of Officers there. This was the news story done on him, and there was also a VIDEO to see and hear a small part of his speech. WoooHoooo. Needless to say, I loved it. LOL. I'm including the link if any of you want to see the video. (there's a very short commercial before it starts).

Also if you want to read the article about him, just click on "Fire Victim's Attitude Inspires" which is under Related Stories.

hugs from

Proud Mom, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Jason's video

Comments (20)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Karen, I just came in from working in the yard, got some tea and sat down to check GJ for a second. I was so glad to see this story on Jason. I called my husband in to watch it because I have told my whold family and friends about Jason. All he could say over and over was "thats amazing!" He was so inspired by Jason and what he has endured and how he continues to live and love with so much enthusiasum.
    Thank you so much for sharing Jason and your family with us. Please let Jason know God is still working through him in Oklahoma. I'm keeping my computer on for my sons and their friends to see this evening. God Bless you all!
    sherri

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Very uplifting!You must be very proud. A very lovely family indeed.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for putting Jason's video on, it was wonderful!!But I know having a great family & friends had lot to do with his recovery too. YOu brought him up to be a gentleman & then he became a hero. He looks like a very loving involved daddy too!! We need more like him!! Those who face adversity & get stronger!! Congratulations!!! Jan

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Thanks from me too!! The photos of his injuries took my breath away!! To have lived through soo much pain and have such a wonderful outlook on life! He's truly a hero and an angel on earth. Like Jan said You brought him up......

I know you are soo proud of him. We are too!!!

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

Hey Proud mom Karen...you have every right to be proud...I think you must have done a wonderful wonderful job to have raised him to be like he is.... I would love to meet him in person...

patti

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. I am so glad you had the chance to see and hear Jas! I have to confess, I've watched that video about 10 times since last night.
    LOL. I saw the full presentation once, several years ago, it lasts about half an hour. He just blew me away right along with the audience. You saw how Jason looked BEFORE the fire....well he was so shy then, he couldn't have spoken in front of a group of 5 people. Now look at him! His first speaking engagement had filled an auditorium, and I later asked him how he could look so relaxed and confident...he said "Mom, you have to remember I can't see anyone 2 ft beyond me." LOL. I love his sense of humor.

I feel rather odd hearing all of you give me credit on how he was raised tho. Jason was the sweetest, most caring, sensitive-to-others kid ever. At 16 he kept talking about his dream of wanting a wife and children, while the other boys were into fast cars and racking up girlfriends. Jason is a super dad, and husband, because he loves being that.
    I can't take credit for much, as this is just how he's always been. The only thing I ever did was love his Dad with all my heart. And I still do. I got VERY lucky having 3 kids who were never a challenge or problem. I am so grateful for that!

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Purplemoon ... I can see your smile...what a remarkable, loving young man...your son. We are blessed to be able to share him through this video. He is truly God's gift to all of us...his love and fortitude will continue to touch so many. Thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Karen,
    Just watching and hearing him speak and from his heart is so so wonderful! We know you are proud and we can hear you smiling! :-) I always hope and pray that my boys grow up to be good people engaged in life and their families and community. You raised a gentle spirited fighter.
    Love, Jules

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jules, I LOVE that description of Jason..."gentle spirited fighter". Thank you, its beautiful and fits him so well.
    I'm sharing all your emails with he and Suzie, they will be very touched by you, as I am.

hugs, Karen

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Karen,
    I sent you an email expressing my feelings after seeing Jason's video, but I must also tell you...

I forwarded the video to several of my friends and family. Everyone was totally in awe of your son. Jim cried! I've saved the video clip for future watching. I love it!

God chose Jason to do some very special work...and...even thought we don't know him personally...we're all proud of him for the excellent job he's doing!! He has such an amazing inner strength and a terrific family that has been there for him every step of the way. Especially Susie! What a God send she is!!

God bless Jason and all of you!

~Sandy~

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Karen,
    You know, it's interesting. I've shared Jason's story with a lot of people including my hubby and boys. My youngest, Nathan, wants to become a police officer when he gets older. But, Nathan sure has a long way to go. He always wants justice done but unfortunately at the age of 12 his "not said" motto is shoot first and ask questions later. .(sometimes I think he is from Texas) I know it takes time to get to where you need to be in order to "serve and protect". Nathan is maturing. I think he may have a bit more respect for what "serve and protect" means when his Sensai tonight used him as an example for their first "take down". You learn that you as a human can be all powerful or you realize that you absolutely have no power. So, as we live our lives we must grow in the areas that are put before us. It seems as Jason has accepted where he is and is using it to help many many others. Whether its transporting patients to and from doctors appointments, making a PSA for swimming pool safety, speaking to other PO's to encourage and inspire them to continue doign what they already do, or just being a darned good son, husband and father--well, that's where it starts. The contents of ones heart and soul really make the difference. Lord willing let us all make a difference in the lives of those around us.
    Love, Jules

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFULLY put, Jules! I think your boys have one heck of a Mom. Loved the comments about Nathan, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

Jason sure has endured alot, and now he is inspiring so many people! His message is useful to ANYONE, to persevere no matter what. Karen, you've been sharing Jason's story with us for a while, but it was so great to actually see him and hear him share his life, in his words. You must be so incredibly proud!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got this photo, it was taken a week ago at the 2nd Annual Jason Schechterle Scholarship Ball (sponsored by the 100 Club). The money goes to the education and needs for children of injured cops and firemen. Often families who go thru heavy medical and terrible injury/death end up not having money for college and schools and this insures the kids get to have that. (by the way, Suz isn't short, Jason is 6'3". She tells people he was 6'4" when he had hair!)
    {{gwi:127841}}

hugs, K

• wannadanc
    15 years ago

Karen - what a wonderful way for me to start the New Year - by seeing Jason on A&E in a 48 Hours program. I realize this is probably OLD news, but to me it was brand new!!! I hadn't visited GW for several months, but as soon as I saw him I immediately keyed in to Karen, Purple Moon, GW. Bless you and your wonderful family in the year ahead!

Vicki

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Karen,

Amazing strength of character!!!! A perfect example of an over-comer. If only we could all face the tribulations of this life as an opportunity for growth. How blessed you are Karen. How strong God had made Jason. Many lives will be inspired by Jason's sacrifice. What an extraordinary mission he has embarked upon!!! God Bless 'im!!!!!

Susie

P.S. From TEXAS!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a fantastic way to start off the first day of my New Year. Thank you, SusieRose and Vicki. I appreciate you reading this old post, and what you said.
    Jason is my Hero.

hugs, Karen

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Interesting timing for this post. Just two days ago, I went online for the umteenth million time and reread the whole account of Jason's trial by fire. It amazes me every time!!

This time, I printed the whole thing just in case it is removed someday. I want my family to read it. I've told them about Jason, but they haven't heard the whole story yet.

What amazing, God given, inner strength Jason has. God bless him!

~Sandy~

• backyardmom
    15 years ago

Proudmom.Thank you for posting the video of such a wonderful man.I can't even think of the road he has traveled. I'm going to show this to my family and friends,many who are cops.Bless you all.He has a beautiful smile you know comes from his heart.Joan

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

I frequent the Cottage forum and occasionally drop by here for inspirational ideas of the curb side finds I tend to gather. I ran across this post and I must say I am deeply humbled.

In my eyes, your son is a living Saint. Many of us go through life grumbling about mundane things and here stands this brave man who has such a positive out look on life. It was a slap into my face. Please thank him for me. And thank you for raising such a wonderful young man, the world needs more like him.

God bless you and yours. May God bless all those who place their lives in harms way to protect us.

Edna