Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Things I learned from the Junk Forum

concretenprimroses
15 years ago

With my mil's illness and death and then my own mom's hospitalization I've been thinking more about the junk forum than visiting it lately, but I thought this would be a fun thread. Here's a few of my thoughts:

1. Never throw away (or recycle even) a blue bottle

2. Toilets can be beautiful

3. One person's junk truly is someone else's treasure

4. What some people will put in the trash is totally shocking.

5. There are some masters of reusing in this forum who should have their own tv show! (I don't know if you have noticed, but the same people who were throwing everything away last season on HGTV are now suddenly talking "green")

kathy

Comments (14)

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

#5 cracked me up....I hadn't noticed but now you mention it,
    LOL. I have to agree with all your thoughts, thanks for posting. Hope you can spend more time here with us soon.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I have learned that garden junkers are amazing people - not just in their creativity but in their kindness and compassion. It must have something to do with seeing something that no one else wants, that has maybe been thrown away, and having the heart to create something magnificent out of it. Almost like doing it to honor those things that have been discarded and thought useless. It seems as if garden junkers also feel that way about human beings and animals too.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

I have learned that the GJers' Forum is very ADDICTIVE!!! I have to check it every day (sometimes several times) if I'm on a break here at home and near a computer!

I now have more of an understanding with young people on how easy it is to make friends and give away personal information on the computer...when you don't ACTUALLY KNOW who you are talking to. Working in the library with children & teens, I always stressed the importance of NOT giving personal info. on the Internet. This still is a good thing...but NOW I can empathsize. :-) (Ahh, did I now just add some more personal info about myself! Ugh)

GJers' on this forum are AWESOME! But, I'm not going to talk politics!...there's enough of that all around for this election year! Thanks! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I think GJ appreciate the "old" stuff & hate to see it disappear. We may remember it at GP's house. Newer stuff- sure would hate to see landfills fill up. Excuses, excuses, let's just "junk" Most everything deserves a fresh start. I got an email today that was comparing us to rest of world. There was person with flip-flops on they were recycled soda bottles. The mouth of bottle was ahead of their toes, rags held them on like our flipflop's. Amazing & would keep hot dirt from burning the feet! Never doubt the ingenuity of humans!! Sorry if that is a downer but I smiled when I saw it & then almost cried. Jan PS I think the shoes worked quite well!

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Kathy, your new "knowledge" is so funny!!!(but,true!)
    Yep, I think you hit #5 on the head!!!
    Thx for posting this, it was cute!
    blessings-sherri
    P.S. Just wanted to add mine:
    #6.To my knowledge, there is no G.J.A.!(Garden Junkers anonymous!)

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

#7 Garden Junking is cheap entertainment for those of us making it and others who see what we have made.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

This thread is so entertaining! I need to stop on this side more often. Each one of you has a fun and unique point of view.

I agree with everyone else about #5!

Then I read #6 and laughed my butt off.

Then came #7. I am just sitting here chuckling.

Because I'm guilty, guilty, guilty lol.

And good to see you again Sherri, been wonderin' why I hadn't seen you post lately. Luna I noticed you where gone too, but I'm new and just getting to know y'all, not trying to be nosey, no explanations needed, just missed ya :-)

and Jeanne, I'm like you, when I have time to sit down and do what I like to do, it's usually check emails, local paper, then over to GardenJunkers. that's my kind of a break, just like going junking around town is my idea of fun. Hey ... I'm very picky about my junk LOL. OK I'll shuddit ... ~tenderlee

• nonacook
    11 years ago

I thought this deserved to be read again!
    All of it is true-----

• azcactusflower
    11 years ago

Junkers were just ahead of the times they were "talking "green" before "green" became the latest rage.
    concretenprimroses is right, there are Masters of reusing on this forum who could easily host a tv show!
    I have gotten so many ideas, but not enough time, of beautiful, unique things to create. Many thanks to all of you.

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Thanks for recycling this! I had a hoot reading it. I dont throw anything out without looking at it twice and trying to create a new life for it. Now if only i had more time for creating and more importantly could find a place to put it all once done!

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Thanks for recycling this! I had a hoot reading it. I dont throw anything out without looking at it twice and trying to create a new life for it. Now if only i had more time for creating and more importantly could find a place to put it all once done!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

What I have learned from the Garden Junk Forum is that I can have a friend that I may or may never meet and they are still close to my heart!!! My bestest friends came from the Garden Junk forum!!! I feel it is God's way of giving me love!!!

• kim546
    11 years ago

Inspiration and support to turn a hobby into a passion :)

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

#8 - Where DH sees junk I see ART!