Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Follow up to the neighbor saga...

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

Thanks again for remembering my DH and I in our never ending saga with our angry neighbor. Just wanted to update everyone and let you know that he FINALLY picked up his certified letter...and he called and left a message with our lawyer telling him that it was all a big misunderstanding and that the gate across our driveway is temporary and that he plans to move it as soon as he gets the land level behind it! OMGosh.....can you believe this man?!! First, he curses both my DH and I to high heaven, then he has the gall to say it's a misunderstanding! And the ground is as flat as a pancake...it's been a driveway for over forty years! I am just flabbergasted. We have no intention of just letting this go....I'm waiting on my lawyer to advise on our next step....this gate HAS to go!

Are we havin' fun yet?????

Comments (18)

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Good Grief! Well at least he seems to be backing down a bit in the face of a lawsuit... that doesn't mean he'll be any nicer to you in person, though. Maybe now that he knows he can't bully you, he'll think twice about pulling any more crap. We can only hope! Hang in there, Marlene. We are pulling for you!!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

The question is 'How long is it going to take the "level" the land'!!!!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Oh geez! What a winner that guy is! Does he think your attorney doesn't talk to you? Like tasymo said, I hope this is a sign that he is backing and calming down. Hopefully he will think twice before messing with you and your husband again. I will keep my fingers crossed and say some prayers for you!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

I do hope he is gonna back down. He must get the award for being the biggest fool of the year award!! Just hope he isn't buying time to figure out another nasty scheme.......Prayers to you and DH.

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Wow! I'll continue to pray for this situation.
    Love, jules

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Glad to see an update. Sounds like he's trying to back down and save face! I wish the jerk would get nailed with a big bill for all the problems he's causing. Then I wish he'd sell the house and move FAR away.

Hang in there,
    hugs, Karen

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Sounds like an episode from the old TV show Hee-Haw. Literally squabbling over the fence!

• mjowest
    13 years ago

For all the praying people here, I hope that we remember that "HE" is a human being, imperfect like the rest of us.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

I had probs too with a neighbor who ranted every time I was in the back yard. You need to document it. If it happened now I would not go out without a video camera in hand to at least get the sounds and words.That is harassment. Been the lawyer route to and every time it just cost us both big bucks and finally my hubby and he decided they had enough and let it go.
    My dad is now going through the same thing and everytime I go to his place I must have it on and document it it.
    Life is too short
    Tanya

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we are hopefully coming to a place where we can actually DO something. Our lawyer sent a second and final letter telling our neighbor what OUR rights are and he has one week (which is almost up) to remove his fence from our driveway. After that, we have the right to remove it ourselves (after the judge signs the "breach of the peace" form) and put in a cattle guard and he won't be able to stop us. It has been a real battle just trying to get out of our own driveway.

And mjowest....I most certainly remember that "HE" is a human being, even though he never acts like one or treats us like we are. I have been extremely patient with this man, but my patience is wearing out fast. I don't think our neighbor understands the golden rule concept or the simple concept of courtesy, so I don't feel as though I need to be a doormat for him. When you're doing what's right, sometimes it can get messy I guess, but we have tried to be people of integrity through this whole process.

I appreciate everyone's prayers and support! You guys are the best.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope the gate coming down & cattle guard goes well, think I would try & have a couple of other people there & camera & or video camera ready to use, or if possible sheriff since you don't feel safe! Good Luck! Jan

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Oh Marlene some people just don't get it, they are just plain mean, why? many possibilities, but I am soooo happppy your attorney is being so proactive. I will continue to pray that this all goes away and you can enjoy your legacy and the many memories you must have.

God Bless

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that things seem to be progressing well and you will have an easier time getting out of your driveway. What an ordeal! I hope your neighbor starts seeing the light and becoming more cooperative. Some people are so dense and mean. Can you imagine how unhappy their lives must be? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that this all ends peacefully!

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

I hope that you all will finally find a resolution to the situation. I just don't understand folks who use up so much of their time and energy making life more difficult than it already is. I'd rather use my energy spreading cheer and helping. It's so much more fun!

Hold on to the shreds of your patience. Don't let him get you down to his level. I'll be praying for you! (and him).

~~Mimi

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Marlene did the neighbor take his gate off? I pray that he did so that you and DH have peace of mind for the forthcoming Holidays! God Bless Your Friend

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the gate has been moved back so that we can use our turn around again....now we just have to figure out how his animals keep getting out....there's a goat in my yard right now. ;-)

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

Hmmmm...Goat stew sounds mighty tempting! =)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

So glad its getting resolved. And relieved to hear about the goat. I didn't understand why you wanted a cattle gate, and imagined that the man had hoofed feet!
    But seriously, I'm glad the bully is backing down.
    And to think I used to feel ill used cuz a neighbor threw garbage onto our property. After hearing your story I'm almost grateful!
    Kathy