Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Are any of you on Facebook??

Marlene Kindred
14 years ago

Hi all~

I was wondering if any of you junkers are on facebook and would like to be my facebook friend? I thought it would be another cool way to get to know folks! Also, I play this game called "Farmville" on there as well....it can get pretty addicting...sort of like collecting garden junk, so if any of you out there are farmers, I'd love to have more neighbors!!

I guess if anyone in interested in becoming facebook friends with out GJ buddies, you can either put your facebook name here or email me directly!

Comments (30)

• chelcass
    14 years ago

I'm on facebook and I am in farmville (plus farmtown, Lil farmlife and a few others.:) I'll be your neighbor. you are right it is addictive!! Look for Judy's Farm or send me an invitation or I can try and send you one

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

I joined about a month ago. BUT, I do not get into all the games and stuff. ... I don't mind becoming a friend...Let me email you my info so you can look me up...I am a Julie and I guess yours is Marlene? ---just so I'm aware....Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Hey Marlene,

thanks for the email. I was on there for about 2 hours looking up friends and damily. I'm just starting to get the hang of it.
    Love, Jules

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I've heard so much about it ...... seems it's the "IN" thing .

I'm so behind the times ........ I Hear "facebook" .........and "Twitter" ...Can anyone tell me what they are ?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know !!!

******* SMILE **********

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Facebook is a website where you can have a webpage of your own and do as little or as much as you want. You can put a lot of info on it or just the basics. It's a good way to find old friends, classmates, etc. You can post on there and let folks know what's happening in your life. I use it to keep up with my students after they graduate and with high school and college classmates. I've gotten into the "Farmville" game...and I never usually play games, but this one is fun, so I'm on it. If you want to look up a page, just go to facebook.com and look up mine. You can have your info as private or public. My name is Marlene Kindred, so you can find me that way. That will give you an idea of what the pages look like. And, as with anything, there are people who go WAY overboard with their pages,etc. You do have the option of "unfriending" someone if they get on your nerves....just fyi! ;-)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I am on it. I haven't gotten into Farmville. I am in Yoville but have no idea what I'm doing there. lol! I do love playing some of the games and got a little obsessive when another friend beat me by 10 points. I had to play until I could top her score. I think I added you as a friend, Marlene. Not sure since Facebook seems to be having problems tonight adding friends. toomuchglass, if you want to check it out, go to the link below. It is a fun way to keep in touch with friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Yup I'm on Facebook and play Farmtown too. My username is my name donna cayton. I'll be anyone's friend. C'mon and play.... its fun!!!

Donna in Florida

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

I'm on as Tender Lee. Just now learning how to navigate it. My best friend is hooked on playing Farkle. I need to check out the games. My cousin is doing the Farmville thing, Donna, what is that all about? I'm so clueless, just joined yesterday. Any suggestions for fun games & such? ~tenderlee

• akup_a
    14 years ago

I'm on FB but don't play Farmville. I don't have enough time to do my real gardening much less a game for it. lol! But, I'd love to have friends.
    Vickie

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Im on FB but havent been playing. My childhood best friend moved away in 11th grade and of course IVE moved about 12 times since so we had no contact since 11th grade.
    She and many other old time friends have looked me up and we are having a ball reminiscing. Sometimes I hide all the tests and things to make it easier to find family friends.
    You can go to your FB friends page and write on their wall or send them a comment privately which is nice since you can write alot more. Our family posts alot of pics and that is so much fun also.
    tanya

• wannadanc
    14 years ago

Me, too!!!! Yep - I confess!!! HOWEVER - I do NOT do any of the games, and it gets rather wearisome to keep getting prodded for that. Posting pix is fun, reading other pages is interesting, and searching for connections from out of the past is fascinating!!!

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Farmville is a kickoff from Farmtown. Its an easier game to play. Its basically a game that is a farm, you make coins for harvesting your crops and you can buy things for your farm too. Its very addicting to say the least. Farmville is kinda like the kids version so I don't play it I like Farmtown cause its a little harder. Not meaning any of you ladies are kids at all. LOL

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

I'm on Facebook too.Play farmville,Farmtown and Yoville.
    It's been great catching up on old friends.Joan's farm

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

So, has or can we creat a "Garden Junk" page there??? Just curious.....Love, Jules

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Bingo! That's a great idea Jules .... I have also searched for a garden junk group at FB the other day and didn't find any groups that actually focused on GJ. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I couldn't find it. So I think this is a great idea. It would be nice if someone knows how to set it all up. Any volunteers? :-)

• amesly
    14 years ago

Hey cool! I'm on there too but I'm not searchable... I'll try to befriend Tender Lee and Marlene and then you can find me through them? :)

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

I just logged into FB and don't see you yet, Amesly. If you don't find me at FB, email me thru My Page here and I'll send you an invitation .... The more GJers, the better! ~tenderlee

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Many people tell me that I should join. Just haven't gotten around to it. But if you guys start a garden junk angle, I'll sure be tempted! I am "on" twitter, but I never twit or look at anyone elses, lol.
    kathy

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Same here about the Twitter with me Kathy. I rarely Tweet, and when I do, it's usually what I cooked for dinner or something boring like that lol .... who cares about what I'm tweeting?

Anyhoo .... Facebook seems to be similar, but I enjoy seeing my friends and family's photos so easily etc. But I've got my settings on the private side pretty much.

It would be a great way to share pics at a garden forum at FB though .... hope something develops with that! ~tenderlee

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sure that we can have a facebook page, but I have no idea how to set it up...don't know if it's like setting up a personal page or not. I'll see if I can fine out....stay tuned!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I'm on Facebook too. Since my parents are all gone and I have no relatives in TX I was beginning to feel alone in the world. FB has allowed me to keep in touch with a bunch of friends and family from all over the US (and one middle school friend in Sweden). I can tell my nieces and cousins, night night even though I have not seen them for years. There is also a Real time Chat feature. Much of the fabric of my life is woven into one page! I prefer exchanging witty banter, advice, and current events instead of playing the games. I have a group of High School girls meeting me in AL for dinner and I did it with one posting. I can see pictures of all of their children and grandchildren and leave congratulations and comments. I knew almost instantly when two of our classmates fell ill and passed away last week. I am developing friendships with my nephew's children whom I have never seen. Now I see their pictures everytime they go on a trip or start to school etc. It is a miracle. No other generation has had this kind of network capability before. We are blessed. I thought I would never see those folks from High School again. Now I am discussing what they are cooking for super. I got my sisters signed up and we are no longer astranged. The miles melt away and we are all like neighbors. There are people who leave "tweets" (ex. I am washing the car now). But others get funny comments going, or poems, or news stories,or YouTube Links etc. I have shared a few garden junk ideas with my crafty niece in Indiana and my friend who has a craft show on the NBC affilliate in Alabama. But what sets GARDEN JUNK FORUM apart is that we have our garden junk in common with one another. On FB everyone can be different so you discuss different things. I WOULD HAVE TO WONDER IF YA'LL GONNA LIKE ME IF I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GARDEN JUNK??? If you want to be my friend on Face Book email me here and I will write you back and tell you my full name. On Facebook you sign up as who you really are. You only allow people you know to access your info. It took me a couple of weeks to try out all of the different buttons and get use to how it all works. You can also type in HOW TO JOIN FACEBOOK in your search engine and get more info.

• wannadanc
    14 years ago

Susie -you have stated so clearly how Facebook can provide a much needed link for some people. The first time I went "online" - some 20 years ago - I was instantly struck w/ that notion that no one who was willing to learn the system ever had to feel alone - regardless of their life circumstances.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I will tell you the one thing I did discover. Maybe it is just me. Although I love my old friends and relatives hearing about their lives some of the people(aquaintances) I THOUGHT were friends I discovered by their discussions (some immoral) that I like d them better before I knew all their dirty secrets!
    Fortunately their is a hide button and the ones who are
    repeatably nasty or negative get hidden away.
    But it IS great,I was just today found by my maid of Honor after all these years!
    The other thing I think is rude is when people ask to be your friend JUST to add a number.Some people have contests with their friends to see who has the most friends and they have NO intention of communicating with you.
    Shame on Them.
    But all in all,
    like any thing it is mostly GOOD, GOOD, GOOD!

• kirkus
    14 years ago

What fun!!!! I joined Facebook and have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I'm doing BUT I have several friends already! LOL I want to do a search online to learn the Basics! Any simple Facebook hints? I've already enjoyed what little I have discovered! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Kirk & fam.,if you still have all our names from Secret Santa you should look us up!
    tanya

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Hi All. I've been getting emails asking me to be a facebook friend...
    and I'm sorry to be a stodgy ol' stick-in-the-mud, but I am not on Facebook nor do I plan to get on it. From all I've heard, everyone sure enjoys it. But I'm just too overwhelmed lately and unable to enjoy or learn new stuff.
    I can't even keep up with emailing friends as it is. Every single thing seems like "an effort" these days.
    Please forgive me for turning down your sweet requests to join you on Facebook.

hugs, Karen

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Terry,
    I did a search on there the other day and didn't find anything closely to resembling a Garden Junk group. I still am a bit new. Don't do any of the yo-farm villes or --towns---no pillow fights or any of that. Too much work--allow too much access to my other cyber stuff. ....
    Let me poke around there some more and see what I can come up with--I need answers...
    Love, Jules

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I still like coming here for my garden junk interests and there for my family and friends chits and chats.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

I agree SuzRose. I have fun socializing and playing games on FB, but you can't beat GW/GJ Forum for the best garden junk room. As far as FB goes, it's nice to see GJ friends there, among friends and family, but the topics are more about daily life, and not about gardening or garden junk.

Jules, I haven't looked into how to start a Group at FB. If we did so, I would hope that it would just be one more place for us junkers to hook up. This forum is, and always will be tops. Otherwise, we can just meet up there for all else that's not GJ.

It's very easy to share links and photos at FB too. Photos can be uploaded from your pics on your computer, with no need to use another server. You can also make yourself very private, or very public, your choice.

I hope more GJers will join us at FB, because I enjoy seeing everyone. There are some really fun games, and some of us of share in those to get extra points, etc. Plenty going on at FB if you get bored just surfing the net, I suggest giving it a try. Hope to see y'all there ~tenderlee

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also agree....Garden Junk is the BEST!!! Sometimes...facebook friends just wouldn't get it! But, it is fun to keep up with folks in the busy world of ours!