Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clay cookers

Posted by excessfroufrou (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 15, 09 at 16:40

Does anyone ever use clay cookers like this one. I have a hard time finding them at TS's & GS's and they are expensive new. All my friends want one. I have 3 that I love. I saw one used as a planter once, what a waste. Anyhoo when I got home last night this is what DH had in ours. There is a chicken under there and just look at all the fresh herbs from the yard. We usually cook 1 chicken a week and get 3 meals for the two of us. Ya got to love a man that cooks for you and does garden projects.
Syble Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clay cookers

YUMMY!!! So, what time is dinner??? ;-)

o

Schlemmertopf is the most famous brand of the clay cookers, I think, and it really is a good brand.

A few years ago, one of my best friends found the medium size at a yard sale for $5. He loved it and then purchased a new turkey size roaster. Next thing you know, I've got one for Christmas, too, (cost him about $90 with shipping) and he also gave me the medium size $5 one too. Later I found a small one for $5 also at a YS, so now I have 3 sizes.

This is a great way to cook anything you'd roast/bake in the oven. Beef roasts come out heavenly, moist and tender. Same with pork. Baking a chicken is wonderful in these, the inside stays moist, but the outside skin gets a nice brown crust without basting.

I love mine and use it mostly in the winter, since my oven heats our attic/den area above the kitchen up so much. I use my good ol Crock Pot a lot in the summertime to keep the kitchen a bit cooler. The Crock Pot is similar, but you can't get a crispy crust in a slow cooker like you can with a clay roaster.

One word of advice: don't forget to soak the lid the recommended 10 minutes or longer before cooking!!! I forgot one time and my roast came out really dry. Also the manufacturer recommends start with a cold oven. The bottom is glazed and makes cleaning up easy. Some of the knock-offs don't have a glazed bottom.

I love cooking, and this is one of the best simple cooking methods. Beautiful pic, makes me want to drop by your house for dinner lol. The house smells heavenly when you've got something going in the oven in a clay pot ~ home sweet home! Here's a link with info about them:

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlemmertopf Glazed Clay Roasters Guide & Intro

o

Here's a pic of my buddy about to take the lid off. There's a turkey inside .... ~tenderlee
Photobucket

o

What a pretty dining room tenderlee.
I had one that I "inherited" when a tenant moved out of a house where my dh used to have an office. but the top was cracked so I never used it. Might be in with the clay pots in the garage. Dose anyone know if it is safe to use a cracked top?
kathy

o

Thanks, Kathy, that's my friend's dining room, not mine. His whole home is very beautiful. I don't know where he gets his energy, other than he's 14 years younger than me lol. ~tenderlee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here