Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I recieved a small act of kindness today

toomuchglass
14 years ago

It was small --- but it meant the world to me ! I've always been the "do-er" -- never the "do-ee" ! I feel so good - I have to share.

I only go to the laundromat to wash quilts , so I'm not too familiar with it . Today , there was only one dryer open.

( They are double stacked ) I put a quarter in the slot --- I thought it was for the lower one - turned out - it was for the upper dryer ... I just gave the upper dryer -- (that was on) more time. So I threw my quilt in the lower dryer , inserted a quarter and tried to pretend I wasn't as stupid as I looked. Suddenly , a gentleman came up to me & said he saw me put money in his dryer toward his time ....so he took his stuff out early and gave me the leftover time I paid for on his dryer. Now - who would ever do that ??? I was stunned .... We started talking and had a great time laughing & joking while out stuff was drying.

Now I realize how a little kindness goes a long way . That being said about real life .... the kindness & generosity here has me speechless ... Don't you wish the whole world was this way ? *sigh* ....... Ok - I'm dreaming again ....LOL....... I just had to share :)

Comments (6)

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

It is wonderful that you recieved such kindness today. It is funny that you mentioned this today. My son is homeschooled and one of the things we are working on this year is RAKS...random acts of kindness. I have had him make a list of some small things that he could do for someone that could make thier lives easier, or just simply make them smile. He is to take one thing on the list every week and follow through with it. I want to teach him how wonderful it feels to make someone else feel wonderful. I would like to see it become a habit for my kids to do kind things for others. I have done this for many years. It might consist of holding open a door for someone who has their hands full, or giving a card to someone who is having a bad day, or putting a coin into a dryer for someone. They are small things but they feel wonderful.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

It is little things like this that can make such a difference in your day. Last weekend at my favorite Salvation Army store, a little spit of a girl (her mom told me earlier that she was only 3 pounds when she was born) held the bathroom door open for me so it was easier to get my walker through. I thought it was so sweet I had to go tell her mom. So many random acts of kindness are based upon good manners.

Thanks for sharing, Kathy! It is good to know there are still kind and considerate people out there.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I've gotten so that when a clerk is very nice or smiles & is pleasant that I thank them for "being so nice" They usually just beam!! I also occasionally thank the sour clerk by saying nicely " thanks for waiting on me, I appreciated it" they often stand there staring. My hope is that maybe they will be nicer to the next person. Several yrs ago I was in grocery store getting couple of items like milk & bread. My head was splitting & all I wanted to do was get home & go to bed. I barely looked at the man ahead of me but when I moved up & the clerk rang up my bill she handed me receipt & change for a $10 bill, she said the man had wanted to pay my bill. I tried to run after him to thank him but I couldn't see him in parking lot. That was so sweet, I guess I looked as bad as I felt but since then I often tell the person with couple of items to go ahead of me. I let a car ahead of me when street is suddenly narrowed because they are working on it & it always brings a smile on the other driver or a friendly wave. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Too much its a kindness to start a thread like this! Micki what a wonderful way to teach your son.
    Once my mil's car broke down. She was in her 70s and not close to home. Some young men immediately ran out of a restaurant to help her. And a couple stopped by in their car to offer assistance too. They told her that they always kept their eye out for anyone needing assistance on the road and always stopped to offer.
    Once a front wheel came off our car during an ice storm late on a Sunday night in a little town far from home. It was kind of funny, it rolled down the street right toward a river and dh took off after it and fell on his butt. Fortunately the wheel didn't go in the river and dh wasn't hurt. We were wandering the street looking for the lug nuts and suddenly we were surrounded by helpers, people who were just drving by. A man opened up his shop and fixed a bent part that would have bumped the wheel. He charged us a normal rate, but he didn't have to open late on a Sunday. (And you can bet I made the garage that had just rotated the tires pay for it anyway!) This was before we had cell phones.
    Its good to be reminded (for me at least lol) to practice more kindness as well.
    kathy

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Everytime I meet a polite teen I am so appreciative. It just flows all over me, how well some parents are doing. It gives me a renewed sense of hope for the future.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

My foster dd has always been polite, and was even as a teen, thank goodness. Its good to be reminded to appreciate the good things in people, especially the ones who drive you nuts, lol.
    kathy

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz