Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smickerdoodle

i hate bats!

smickerdoodle
14 years ago

Oh My Gosh! Sunday night I was going to walk into my bedroom and came face to face with a BAT! There is nothing in this world I am more afraid of than bats! I ducked and screamed. I reached to close the door and he swooped at my face again. So I screamed again and just slammed the door, but he swooped past me into the livingroom. With no thought of my children who were in the livingroom I ran in my room and slammed the door. The kids ran for my daughter's room and slammed that door while the bat swooped wildly around the rest of the house. After getting myself back together we started looking for him to try to get him out of the house. We searched for two hours and couldn't find him anywhere. So we closed the bedroom doors and Cody slept in Cari's room since his is a loft over the livingroom.

Last night I again went to walk into my bedroom and again I was met face to face by the bat. Again I screamed and this time I slammed the door and trapped him in the bedroom. Since the bedroom window was open I went outside and took the screen out so that maybe he would fly out. I never knew that bats were so stupid. He swooped wildly around the room and past the window for ten minutes before he decided to hang from the trim over my closet door. He hung there until I tried to go into the room to try and catch him. Then he would start swooping around again. Unfortunately, at the time this was all going on, the girls were across town at their dad's house. Neither of them are afraid of bats! I drove over to get them so we could get him out. When we got back, he was hiding someplace. We searched my room thoroughly. Moved every piece of furniture, took every piece of clothing out of the closet and shook it to make sure he wasn't in there. Nothing in my room went unmoved or untouched. We couldn't find him anywhere. I took the daughter that lives with her dad back home.

When Cari and I came back in the back door, The darn thing swooped at us again. Cari was in front of me. She screamed and ducked. Then he was coming back at my face aagain. I screamed and ducked too. At least now we knew where he was at! Cari grabbed a towel and tried to catch him with it. When that didn't work, she grabbed the broom and swung it at the bat. She knocked him down and tried to throw the towel over him but he was too fast. She knocked him down with the broom again and this time left the broom lay over him until she had him in the towel. Then she took him outside and let him go. I think he was as happy to be out of our house as we were that he was gone.

I love watching the bats fly around outside in the evening, but I hope they never get in the house again. This is the third one since we moved in three years ago. And they are still not welcome in my house!

Just thought I would share our little adventure. I hope you have gotten as many laughs out of it as we had while it was happening. Even though we would scream when he flew at us, we were laughing the rest of the time.

~Micki~

Comments (8)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think bats are great,unless they are in your house. I understand your fear!
    Our first home was 135 years old
    , my hubby and I were barely 19. We had a big ole attic and bats got in. He called a fireman friend and the two of them swatted at the bats with badminton rackets.
    Now I enjoy watching them swoop down for a drink in the pond after a busy skeeter eating session,,,,outside!!!!!!!
    tanya

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Oh Micki, what an adventure. I don't think I'd want one swooping at me either. But I bet the poor thing was more terrified of you and was glad to get back outside too.
    LOL

hugs, Karen

• smickerdoodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are never going to believe this! We got up and had another bat in the house this morning! UGHHHHHHH these things need to stay outside where they belong!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I'm with you. Love them outside hate them inside! What an adventure! When I lived in a very old house they used to get inside. I guess I left the door to the barn open too much. I've never had them here tho I would like a bat house for our treeline.
    kathy

• wannadanc
    14 years ago

Any idea HOW they are getting in??? Maybe they have already set up housekeeping IN your house, so they consider it to be theirs.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Sure hope you can find the way they are getting in your house! I love bats, but out-of-doors for sure! That would have scared the pudding out of me!!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think we have bats, or if we do I don't want to know about it. I would be freaking out!! My 1 experience with bats was in Badlands of So. Dak. We were at a large BarBQ & it was just behind my cousins house maybe 500 ft. They had tables set up & got the fire going & all of a sudden there was a noise & the sunset sky got black as hundreds of bats came out of the caves around this semicircle we were in. By the time I got scared they were gone. Uncle said the fire must have scared them out. I think it was their church group as they had quite a fire . Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

They used to call me the Bat Woman in college because I wrote a rather long dissertation on the benefits of bats. lol! You better have your attic checked, Micki. A lot of times they are roosting up there and manage to escape into the regular part of the house. That is the most common reason they end up in the house.

I'm assuming it was a little or big brown bat? They are dark in color. The little brown bat is only a few inches long while its bigger brother, the big brown bat, is an inch or 2 longer. They are the two most common bats to roost in and around homes in your area of the country.

The good news? Little and big brown bats migrate in the fall to dwellings like caves and mines. So if they are living in the attic, they will vacate when the temperatures cool. Once they are gone, all you have to do is seal up the openings where they get in. Unlike mice, they don't chew or scratch openings, they just use openings that are already there.

They are wonderful to have around the yard. They consume an awful lot of mosquitoes and moths that can destroy crops. You might want to consider a bat house somewhere in the yard ... maybe a good distance from your house. lol

You were smart to try to catch it with a towel. They can have rabies (but you are more likely to get rabies from a racoon or skunk) so it is important not to get bitten. Their teeth are so small that even people who are bitten don't always seek immediate medical attention because the bite seems so insignificant. When looking for one, always check your shoes too. They seem to like hiding in there.

Good luck and keep us posted on your next bat adventure!