Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertrat1

American Kestrel

desertrat1
13 years ago

Just had to share:

I've been noticing that later in the day about a couple times a week a bird call far off across the field. I'll see a bird diving and rising in the air above the tall trees and the telephone pole there. Well, the other day I got my camera out and zoomed as much as I can. It landed atop the pole and I got an ok shot. I grabbed my audubon field guide and researched a little online. Here is a website that actually has the Kestrels call. I think it's amazing that we have a Kestrel here. Neighbor said he has an owl in his tree. I have yet to see it. We have red tail hawks, bats, California Quail, ....Anyway, just had to share. The photo I have is not so good but here is the link.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: American Kestrel

Comments (4)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

How cool! There is a huge landfill near where I work and I got so excited when I saw turkey vultures soaring over the area. They are homely buggers about the same size of bald eagles. I always wished I could have got a shot close to Halloween one year where dozens of them were sitting in a dead tree. That was before my cell phone had a camera. Bird watching can be a fun pastime!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Kestrels are just beautiful birds...beautiful to watch in flight and just sitting there being awesome. How exciting for you to see one!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful bird!! I'd love to see 1. I looked out yesterday to see it was overcast & getting ready to rain & there in my birdbath was a bird larger than a dove with blue head,back & wings & underside was whitish maybe light gray but didn't look like the scrub jays we used to have, bigger & bluer anyway that bird was having a ball taking a bath, I ran for my camera but like an idiot I kept watching him for just the right moment & he flew up in the tree. Missed the shot, maybe he'll come back. Had a wonderful 1 in. or more rain today finally!! Jan

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I had another opportunity for photos. Got some but they are too far away. Did witness it hunting smaller birds flying over the field. Then later I was out on the terrace talking on the phone wit my Mom. Noticed a whole lotta turkey vultures gathering in a swirl in the sky-just circling like a tornado. There were a good 300 and they just kept gathering from the west. When it got to be about 500 they moved further east to gather with another couple thousand we saw off in the distance!! Couldnt believe it!!! Wish I could have got a picture for you Kathy!! Earlier in the year we were on our way to church. (our church building is in the middle of a field on the SW section of the Mojave Desert). A "dog" passed in front of us just on the property border of our church. Well it was a coyote and it had a turkey vulture in it's mouth!!! Thought it WAS a turkey at first. It was good to see the wild doing so well in it's natural surroundings!!!
    Have a great Friday.
    Love, Jules