Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

Swine Flu...

luna_llena_feliz
14 years ago

I noticed this forum has been pretty slow lately. I'm hoping others haven't gotten the swine flu.

A few weeks ago, I had a problem with a pinched nerve in my neck that made my fingers numb so it was hard to work on the computer. Prior to that I bought a lot of wonderful things at thrift stores. I never did get around to taking pictures of them to post here. Now my doctor thinks I have the swine flu so I really haven't felt like doing anything. I have been sick since Saturday. Today is the first time I feel like I'm not going to literally die.

My doctor asked if I wanted it confirmed whether I have the swine flu or not. He warned me that my insurance might not pay for the test. Since the treatment would be no different, I said no.

Say a little prayer that my Bob doesn't catch this. He did get his flu shot and the doctor prescribed some medication that should counteract the swine flu. I just don't want him to suffer like I have.

I don't know if the fibromyalgia makes a difference or not but I have had severe stabbing pains in my head. They were unbearable. I heavily medicated myself to get through it. Knock on wood, the pains aren't nearly as bad tonight. To make matters worse, this flu immediately turned to bronchitis and it sure is hard to cough when you have a horrible headache.

I hope everyone else is doing okay!

Very long distant hugs,

Kathy

Comments (12)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Oh Kathy, I am SO very sorry to hear how sick you've been.
    Please be ultra careful the bronchitis doesn't go into pneumonia! That is so dangerous. I've been told that Fibro not only weakens the immune system, healing takes longer with everything. I sure hope you get well SOON, and that Bob doesn't catch this.
    (Jason had the swine flu two weeks ago but no one else caught it. Yet anyway I got my regular flu shot, and this year got a pneumonia shot as well. No swine flu vaccine available here yet, but I was also going to get that.)

Please take very good care of yourself.

{{gwi:127949}}

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear you've been sick!! Usually the swine flu effects the lungs & kids end up on ventilators takes more than a month for them to recover. That's some hospital bill. I'm just not going out much, using hand cleaner all the time. Most of our grocery stores have wet wipes by the door where you get the cart. I think about 1/3 of people use them. Also said in an e-mail I got that if you put salt in warm water & dip a Q-tip in it & run it around inside your nose, use other end of it for 2nd nostril & throw Qtip out. then gargle with rest of salt water. They claim that it takes awhile to take hold & does that only in nose & throat. Do that procedure every 12 hrs. Also said to sip hot drinks during day to help get any germs out of throat.Plus hand washing. I'm also cleaning the doorknobs, steering wheel, car door handles, phone, & washing my keys in soapy water. My right lung is only 1/3 there so I sure don't want this. I had a terrific flu so i should be immune, in 1961 1st week of school, new dorm, I sure broke it in. Took over 1 nice big toilet stall & didn't move except to upchuck in toilet.The girls brought me my pillow & a sheet & icewater & soup which just came back up. I don't think I passed it on to anyone else as I stayed in the stall & they brought stuff in disposable containers & a trashbasket with a liner which I remember taking out & putting out in bin outside when I finally got out of there. That was worst 7 days of my life because I was conscience, With meningitis I was out so didn't care!!Hugs & Prayers for both of you! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel like I am among the land of the living right now. Not sure what is in the Tamiflu medication but it apparently must be doing something ... well that, percocets and cough syrup with codeine. This is what happens when I don't get a flu shot. I could have gotten one at Walgreens but had a doctor's appointment and thought I'd wait. When I went to the doctor, they were out of the shots and would call me when they came in. I never did get one in time.

One thing I have a real problem with are the people who get sick yet go to work. Where I work we don't get sick pay. If we are sick we either take a vacation day (or what they have come to call "paid time off" at work) or don't get paid at all. Apparently people don't want to use up their vacation and don't want to go without pay so they come to work and spread the flu around. I always wonder how many similar people work at restaurants and stores and spread this deadly illness around because they don't want to go without pay.

They were kind of pissed that I was going to be off all week (and I'm taking this without pay because I have no vacation left) even with a doctor's excuse. Maybe they would rather get the flu instead.

Geez, Jan, you poor thing! Forget that horrible bout with the flu, you were lucky to have survived meningitis! You must be one strong cookie!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear that you've been so sick Luna! I'm glad you're feeling better too! Take it easy and I will be thinking of you and of Bob....

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Ehgads, luna! Hang in there! Tis the season "not" to spread good cheer! Good thoughts & prayers coming your way! Glad you are on the upside now! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far *knock on wood*, Bob seems to have missed catching this flu. Now my bronchitis is being obstinent and won't let me cough up the phlegm. I suppose another call to the doctor's office is in order this morning. I sound like something out of a horror movie when I breathe.

One thing about this illness ... I think I know why people thought someone was possessed by many demons. With my bronchial tubes filled, I can wheeze and sound like a legion of demons screaming from my throat. Pretty fitting for the Halloween season. lol

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Hi Luna I's so glad you have started to feel a little better. Glad you've kept your sense of humor too! Take care of yourself!
    Dh went to get a flu shot like he always does and the line was hours long so he left. I haven't had the flu for years. About 10 years ago I had a job that required it and the nurses in the office did it. That was great cuz I have an irrational fear of needles and one of them would hold my hand while the other did the shot, lol. did that 3 years in a row and I've not had the flu since. (knock on wood!)
    kathy

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Oh My dear Lord,
    I thought they want to know who has the swine flu,
    and your insurance won't pay for it
    unbelievable
    maybe the Center for Disease Control has a hot line
    as to where you can get the test.
    Since I had the sinus cancer the doctors at Mayo have me use the Tipi Pot
    which I do religiously
    and when I feel like my sinus are going to clog up
    I immediately wash my nostrils out with the tipi pot (actually it is a plastic bottle you mix the salt mixture in)
    it costs about $10 for bottle and some packets of salt mixture)
    I thought that those of us with immune diseases like fibromyalgia and diabetes should take extra precaution along with babies.
    Well my dear Luna Lena Feliz/Happy Full Moon/Moon full of happiness I am praying for you to get better.
    God Bless
    Sylvia

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies for the well wishes! I'm done with the flu medication. Now I'm taking Mucilex and percocets. Hopefully I will feel good enough to return to work on Monday ... something I'm not looking forward to.

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Glad you are beginning to feel better, Luna.
    I don't blame you for dreading to go back to work!

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about this flu hitting everyone.Luna our fibromyalia will always act up when we're sick,since it is an auto immune deficency. I also went to the dr to get the shot and they were out and they don't know if they're getting anymore in.So I hope when I go into the hospital this Friday for my surgery on my parahtyroid tumor that they give me one before I leave.I have been staying close to home.With all my health problems, I don't need a flu of any kind Feel better Luna

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Luna, the flu is in our area now too. My 1 yr old GS is at doctor right now to see why he's so sick. Waiting on them to call at the moment. Hope you are soon feeling better, and that Bob doesn't get it too!

When I was at the dr last week for my monthly visit, I was going to get a flu shot, but they said that most insurance won't pay if you get it the same day you're being seen by the doctor. How ridiculous! I haven't had the time to drive back across town to get it, and may regret it now.

We need to stay on our politicians to make insurance coorporations be more reasonable & accountable with our citizens' healthcare needs. Some bad decisions constantly being made by them, all in the name of profit. What about human suffering and medical needs? Prevention? An ounce of time saves 9? etc. Sheesh ..... I don't see how some of the insurance "deciders" can look themselves in the mirror!

For example, back in the 1980s I was an insurance clerk in a Family Practice office. They denied a little girls diseased tonsils being removed, because she had tonsillitis previously. Duh? Why the heck else would you take them out, because they were never a problem in the past? Lawsy .... it just makes me shake my head in disbelief, and it made me go back into printing, and forget about doing medical insurance for a living! ~tenderlee

Sponsored