Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloredthumb

the finished remodle of both bathrooms

coloredthumb
15 years ago

So it took me 4years,6 months 1 week and 2 days to get both bathrooms in my home remodled. I'm old and move slow. LOL it took a 1&1/2 year to get the master done waited a wait of 2&1/2 years and the just a few months to finish the next one.

link to my webshots slideshow of both baths

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/slideshow/295713484epDVNI

I still have touch up and hang a full length mirror in public bath but I am not allowed on a ladder until my ankle heals from last fall off the ladder. I moved to fast. LOL

Please let me know what you think of my construction and decorating work.

Blessings

CT

Here is a link that might be useful: webshot slideshow of both baths

Comments (10)

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks great! Isn't it amazing how long it takes to do remodeling work??? It's one of those things that grows--all on it's own! Kudos to you for sticking to the project and being able to enjoy the finished product!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! I wouldn't even think of gutting & redoing my bathrooms myself! You are so brave!! Love the black & white together you can do so much with assessories. The other floor in shower came out beautifully & around the window like the added touches. Glad you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labors! Jan

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Wow, Coloredthumb...looks like it was worth the wait! Everything looks wonderful...I love the b & W also...and the shower curtains are lovely. Great work! And please stay off that ladder until you're healed. Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Gosh, I know you have to be relieved! The work looks great. I love the little skull that managed to make it into every shot. lol! I agree with sunnyca, you are very brave for undertaking this task yourself!

Kathy

• coloredthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm very proud of the rooms knowing what they looked like before. With help from dear friends and good How To books our house is getting to be a beautiful home. Details of the skull and the fun stuff follow. Laughter is expected.

When we bought the house in Dec of 2003 both bathrooms were un-usable except for the commodes. I conquered my fears (after weeks of bathing in a kiddie pool on the kitchen floor) and gutted the masterbath. SO BAD the tiles were falling off the wall, the dry wall wasn't and after years of renter neglect mold was just absolutely proliferate.

My DS peeked in the first day and said "Mom it looks like a dungeon". The next day he brought the skull and we named him YORYECH. Yoryech overlooked the entire build with light in his eyes. Yes he is a candle holder and he saw a lot of candles to mask the mold and chemical odors. It took me 4 months of treatments to get the mold cleaned up. Had to replace a few studs because the mold had eaten thru them. Then I got smacked by 3 hurricanes in a row. Once I got going again the job really wasn't that tough. Tiling everything was only hard way up the wall. I move very slow up and down ladders. (and still fall off)
    The DH needs wheelchair accessability and balance rails so that meant extra stud & framework but it was easy really.

Accessorizing the Blk& WhT is way fun But Yoryech has stayed and will always be there as long as we are. He isn't a bit camera shy. His smile gave me hope in trying moments during the long labors.

I never would have undertaken this myself except the contractor wanted $12,000.00 (yeah 12K). Money doesn't grow on trees. I did it for $1,800.00 and dinners for a few friends who helped do the tough two people jobs. We didn't even have any emergency room visits to pay for. My ice maker worked hard too!

The next bath The next contractor wanted $15,400.00 (choke sputter eyes bugged) I couldn't see that so I went off again. I brought in in at $2,500.00. with the DR. visit.

The cute guy in the photos is neighbor guy and he is like another son. He was a big help and made doing this bath fun and MUCH faster. I explained what I wanted, we worked out plans and he did the work with me or for me in some places. It seems the idea of me sweating plumbing joints with a torch kinda scared everyone! I haven't set anything on fire in years, why they were freaked I couldn't say! Let me tell you the Venetian Plaster technique that looks so beautiful on all those home improvement & decorating shows is NOT as easy as they make it look. (Thus the Dr. visit for a shoulder out of whack). I guess having a crew of a dozen people helping is A LOT less time consuming and gee I think they edit out the hard parts. LOL It sure is beautiful and the photos do not do justice to the wall's color, depth and dimension. Yes the pain and work was worth the look!

I love my bathrooms and when I save $3,500.00 I'm gonna do my kitchen. Yes, I'm a glutton for the pain and labor but I have realized a new found pleasure in transforming my old little box house into my palace. Decorating has always been fun but remodeling is just awesome. Beside after the hard work of remodeling I now have a lovely Large tub in a beautiful bathroom with a candle dimmer to soak away the pains.

If I can do remodeliong work I think most anyone can. With all the books that are specific in evey detail on How and Why everything is to be done. The folks at the Big Blue and Big Orange Home Improvement Stores are helpful and some stores have classes on all the projects it takes to do a remodel.
    Fear Nothing! If you want it go for it!

Blessings abound
    CT

• goldielive
    14 years ago

Your bathrooms look beautiful and elegant. I'm wondering what you used for the vanity tops. It looks like marble!
    Goldie

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

You Are AMAZING. I am speechless over what you've done!
    {{gwi:77274}}

• coloredthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The vanity top is granite. A manufactured cast granite. It is granite scraps ground to a powder, mixed with a resin then cast. It is pretty, (it sparkles in the light like slabs of granite it is hard to get that sparkle in the photo) not extremely expensive and a green product because it uses something that would normally be going to a landfill.

I've always enjoyed decorating and now that I have 2 bathrooms under my belt remodeling is fun too. A little more work but SO MUCH FUN.
    I am getting very into GREEN and Energy saving Products for each remodel I take on. The big 30 gal Water Heater I have is on a Grey Box timer and is on only 3 hrs a day. Unless I have more hot water need than normal the water is hot during the times I use it and stays hot all the time. I've saved approximately $20.00 monthly since the GreyBox was installed.
    CT

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Great job. And good hint about the timer for the hw heater. I'll have to talk to dh about that...
    kathy

• jk46
    13 years ago

What an awesome bathroom - well done! We just replaced the bathroom vanity in our guest room; it is a free-standing pre-assembled type and my husband got it done with help from one of his friends who help with the plumbing. We got our bathroom vanity from this place in the east bay - VanityGuy. Check them out...

Here is a link that might be useful: VanityGuy

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio