Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Purging update -- unbelievable.

toomuchglass
14 years ago

My house is having a "baby" ... bagfull by bagfull . LOL

I have been purging like a mad woman ( thanks to energy drinks ) I've made 7 trips to the Goodwill so far .... set out 15 huge garbage bags - OVERfilled 6 garbage cans - I sold / gave stuff away on Craig's list - had a "free rummage sale" in front of my house - broke down cardboard boxes , stacked them & taped them up -- ( the stack stood 3 ft. high) .... and I'm alittle over HALF done . Can you believe it ? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I have a full attic , the main floor & the basement to declutter. I'm surprised I haven't found a whole 'nother family living in this house. LOL

Hopefully by the end of the year ... I'll be able to "EXPERIENCE empty " -- instead of just knowing what it means ~ LOL . I'll keep checking in !

********PS -- call me Hop-a-long .... In doing all this - I pinched a nerve in my left leg ......ggggrrrrrr....

Comments (8)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Good for you Kathy!! I have to do the same thing...again!!! I just am not down with clutter anymore...I have "collected" so much "future" project material...that I could mosaic/gardenjunk/stainedglass for yrs!!!!! I'm disgusted with myself!!! A haorder!!!So you go girl!!! Good on Ya!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Kathy, good for you. It is so hard to part with our stuff. I know I can always justify why I should keep something. Of course I live in a small apartment, but still can accumulate a lot. I purge about every 6 to 8 months simmply because I see the potential in an item, and then it sits and sits. Keep going, it will be worth it.

Kat

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Wow, Kathy you are an inspiration! I really need to clean out the cellar this winter to make way for a new heating system. If I actually do it then I could put some things that I actually use down there (dishes to break and glass for crafts) and free up some space upstairs.
    I wish I lived near you, I do so much better with a buddy :)
    I have only one friend who saves everything plus my mom, lol. and neither of them is interested in changing.
    Keep up the good work!
    Kathy

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Kathy,

Yep, me too. Last Saturday I purged my garage. Hubby and youngest son were gone so I got busy. I had been meaning to do it as well. Our oldest son Sean is 16 and anxious to get a VW bug to work on and drive.....but that costs $$. We also have to make room in the garage. Getting a VW means 20 steps to get it INTO the garage. Part of the steps include sectioning off the front part of my dogs yard-fencing it off and putting down pavers. That way we can get the trailer and trash cans out there to make room for the car. I did go through all my silk flowers and give them to a gal at church who regularly makes floral arrangements for church. I have been so over making and storing silk arr. for awhile now so it definitely was a PURGE. I also purged some old toys/school projects that were good for nothing here--or just were not being used....and Nathan will never know. I also went through a dozen boxes of craft items and condensed them down. All that was to make way for some boxes full of glass for totems and glass flowers.....(yes I still hoard that stuff). So, thank you for the post. It's a good place to vent your success of purging!

Love, Jules

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Go Kathy!! Sounds like you're doing really well in cleaning out and making room! I'm sorry to hear that you pinched a nerve in your leg though...OUCH!! Keep up the good work!

• katladie
    14 years ago

I am having to do the same because we are really having a baby come April, my daughter is pregnant and live with us. Gotta get rid of lots of junk.

• leveta
    14 years ago

Kathy what is it your drinking...I need some...

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I will probably be buying the stuff you gave to Goodwill! lol! Good for you. It can feel so great to purge yourself of needless things. I just wish I could hire a personal slave to do it all for me.

That pinched nerve in your leg is no fun. I had one in my hip earlier this year and I'm still feeling the tingling from the one in my neck which went down into my arm and fingers. Thank goodness for prednisone and pain pills! Don't over do it! Be sure to take care of yourself as well as your house.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH