Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

I just got an email!

sunnyca_gw
14 years ago

Hi everybody! I just found out how dangerous Pyrex is in the oven or microwave. I checked both snopes & truth or fiction & Googled it & there is 10,000 plus entries on it!! 1st I heard about it!! Some of injuries are glass in hands & feet & burns & bad cuts, didn't go through very many of them but this has been going on for quite some time so thought you should know, don't want anyone to be injured! Corning sold out including the Pyrex logo to World Market a Chinese Co. It includes pie pans, cake & I imagine casseroles & glass measures. Mine are all old(20 yrs or more) but seems the new company changed the formula & it has lime in it. So it must not take well to repeated heating of the glass, or gets stress fractures in the glass, glass may be poorly quality controlled etc. So if your glass is from last 10 yrs or less you might reconsider using it in oven. Safe baking!! Jan

Comments (5)

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Wow! The Chinese companies are really good at is figuring out how to make things less expensively. Sometimes it works and sometimes it is a disaster.
    Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully my old pyrex lasts for a long time. I broke my 4 cup measuring cup and didn't buy a new one cuz I don't like the new design. I "inherited" my mil's new style one when she died. I'll not put it in the micronuke now that I know. Thanks.
    kathy

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

PYREX , TOO ???? Sheesh .

I have the attitude that China doesn't give a rat's behind about safety -- all they care about is profit. Look at the baby formula ~~ the Dog Food ! ---- I don't even believe the swine flu vaccine is as safe as they say because it's coming from China. ( just my opinion )

Here's another tidbit I found out . I was finally a good girl & went for a mammogram after being 5 years late
    ( LOL ) . I asked the technician why the big push on breast cancer compared to all the other cancers?

Here's her reply ....

Alot of the cancers in women have high levels of estrogen involved. ( Testing results) Estrogen is everywhere in the environment whether we know it or not . In fact -- old Tupperware -- gave out huge amounts - even the kid's toys. Since the studies ...( she didn't say how far back it was ) Tupperware changed their whole formula . That's why even men can get it .

Boy - if one thing won't kill you - another will . Sad.

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Just read an article of a couple who bought a vacation home in Florida, that the builder used plaster boards andnow they find out that they emit a rotten egg smell, it is corroding copper piping, insurance will not pay for claim and have now cancelled their policy. What I want to find out who is the Builder????
    I agree a lot of the products that comes from China are not being checked over before it gets here and then we find out it has bad stuff in it.
    I am so sorry Corning Ware sold their company, I specifically bought some Corelle bowls that said made in USA.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Yep Nana it is called Chinese drywall and is a REAL problem. Who do these poor people go after? China?????? The builders were just doing their job and bought the stuff at reputable dealers.
    It has destroyed homes, finances and peoples health.
    I have some old Pyrex mixing bowls green decoration probably from the 70s.Do you think they are microwave safe?

I heard that about plastics and shower curtains dolls etc. Plastic cups too.I wonder how dangerous our old formica dinnerware was?

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I've been waiting for them to come up with a disease caused by eating foods that are prepared with "ZERO TRANSFATS".

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm