Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

Called fire dept today!!Hey they rescue cats!

sunnyca_gw
13 years ago

I was drinking my tea this morning, half asleep when mom called & said I had to come & turn the alarm off. I had just gotten them 3 smoke & fire alarms to cover both types of fires. Bro installed them last night. Figured I'd be gone 10 min. didn't even comb my hair! Well, wasn't the new alarms, sounded like in the ceiling fixture in kitchen but that's impossible! I unplugged everything in the room, grabbed cotton & stuffed it in our ears, it was kind of like some car alarms, really loud & then softer & then loud again. Finally I told mom to call bro. in Tx. so I went out & turned off all the breakers I could for the electricity but 3 wouldn't budge. So that didn't help, then I thought maybe it was coming from another room in house & coming through heating vent in ceiling.So raced through the house & unplugged everything & took CO2 alarms out of outlets. Told bro. that didn't help, I was going to call fire dept. He said no way they would come out, I said "They get cats out of trees" they ought to come out to 88 & 94 yr old parents house & see if they can find this thing before it overheats & burns house down(been over an hour by now) I called 911 & gave folks ages & something causing alarm sound but there is no alarm,they could hear it & were pulling out, where are we, I told them & they said go out & flag them down(they are 4 blocks away) I did told them to go around to alley so didn't block main street,4 big strapping firemen got out & searched & searched, well of course it got real low & almost stopped for a bit, then it roared back to life! They are opening upper cabinets & 1 of them was down by floor, he opened dishwasher, & then 1 opened cabinet under sink. His arm shot into the trash & came out with a 40 yr old smoke alarm with battery in it, screaming away. Seems mom had thrown a wet paper towel on it & that is why it started hours after it was thrown in there!(yes, I know shouldn't have been in trash & battery should have been taken out but bro that did it is taking 1800 mg. of Ibuprofen until his surgery so not doing too well)Anyway the wet paper towel shorted or reactivated that old alarm & it just wouldn't quit. Firemen were all laughing & said, wait until we tell them about this back at the station! I told them I was glad we had made their day! They started moving in their truck & all waved & said "Have a great day"! It was too, sunny & nice! Jan

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals