Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

What's Your Favorite Christmas Movie?

kirkus
15 years ago

I love Christmas! It's magical and special! What is your favorite Christmas movie? I have two. One is "The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant and Loretta Young. It's a sweet movie...a classic! My other favorite is "The Waltons: The Homecoming". Living in the country and with parents who grew up in the mountains during the depression, I LOVE this movie. What are your favorites? Please share. Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (20)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

"The Christmas Story" by Jean Shepard from Hammond Indiana.
    I grew up 2nd - 9th grade in Hammond. Shepard's story is about his childhood growing up there." They were able to duplicate the neighborhoods to resemble the streets of my youth. It takes me back there everytime I watch the movie. BTW this is the 25th anniversary of that movie.

Kirk, Also have to agree about "The Bishop's Wife". And I love the Whitney Houston version- "The Preacher's Wife.

Tis the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, "The Bishop's Wife", I hadn't thought of that in years, I love that one! I like a lot of the old black and white movies, I grew up with them. "It's a Wonderful Life" you know-"every time a bell rings and angel gets it's wings", "Miracle on 34th Street" with little Natalie Wood, "Holiday Inn" and "White Christmas" with their beautiful scenery and music. I like the old, old "Scrooge" movie. Made a big impression on me as a kid, I guess it was the first time I thought about how one life can change things. There have been some really good new Christmas movies made, too. Some of those "made for television" movies have been excellent. I hope someone can remember their names. Also absolutely love "A Muppet Christmas Carol". A fun thread, Kirk.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

We LOVE Christmas Story! We keep the TV on the station that plays it 24 hours, plus we have the movie. My personal favorite is "It's a Wonderful Life"...my family would groan when I'd put that movie on, and a few years back I couldn't find it, I looked everywhere! The kids always said they were going to hide it from me:D I asked the kids did they play a trick on me, haha,give it back now!...The next year, we bought DVD's of our favorites bc all the tapes were getting bad. I told my daughter that I knew her and her brother had hidden it, but she would just laugh and say no we didn't, but in that way where you can't be sure she didn't! So just this summer Hoss was moving boxes in our storage bedroom, and found a box of tapes, and there it was :D They thought it was hilarious! The Waltons, where Mary Ellen wants to put the birds nest on the Christmas tree. Now I put real birds nests on ours.

• backyardmom
    15 years ago

I have two. Miracle on 34th Street. And It's a Wonderful Life.All these post about Christmas are great.It bring the true meaning of Christmas to the present.To remember your childhood thur others stories.When I'm reading all the stories you think of how fun it was. Thanks for sharing everyone.Joan

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Mine is "A Christmas Carol". I especially love the original version from the 40's with Reginald Owen. It always inspires me to look for the good in people and to have a more sympathetic heart!

• delta9dave
    15 years ago

My favorite is an obscure one called "Reckless" with Mia Farrow and Scott Glenn. It's a dark comedy that follows one woman's life from Christmas to Christmas. Very good movie. Sort of like Frank Capra having a bad day.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

One of the recent Christmas films that's actually good is Elf with Will Farrell. Got it coming on Netflix again this week. I love all the other ones y'all mentioned too. Most of the new ones are disappointing to me.

And there's always that cute little Charlie Brown's Christmas. ~tenderlee

• melvie001
    15 years ago

I love "A Christmas Story"! ("you'll shoot your eye out!!") Of course, its not Christmas unless I see "It's a Wonderful Life" once or twice. And "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase! Especially when the cat gets in the tree! (apparently I have a weird sense of humor) I even like "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. Well, actually I think I just like Christmas movies! I've been taping all the Christmas movies on Lifetime and watch them when I'm baking or decorating. Definitely when I'm alone though, because my DH and DD's just groan when they see what I'm watching! Phooey on them!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

delta9dave-

You are scary!! LOL If I ask my son (27) he will probably know exactly what movie your referring to. He seems to find alternative books, music, and movies to shock...er...enlighten me with. LOL

Susie

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Oh I love the Christmas movies too and Charley Brown,Rudolph and Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol were my faves as a child.I loved the thought of Razzleberry dressing. There is a pie called Razzleberry that you get it in the freezer section and its to die for!
    Newer movies Im not as impressed with but i have to admit my grandson and I have watched ELF about 50 times this year already.TOO TOO FUNNEEEEEEEE. Polar Express,no thanks

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

My absolute favorite is It's a Wonderful Life. It always makes me ball like a baby. Some interesting tidbits about the movie ... Leonard Sheldon who played the bartender at Martini's went on to be a big Hollywood producer of such TV shows as The Danny Thomas Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show and I Spy. Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver were said to be the inspiration for the Sesame Street characters of the same name.

One of my favorite scenes is when George and Mary get married and give away their honeymoon money. They spend their honeymoon in the old abandoned house that Mary admired as a teenager. Bert and Ernie do their best to make it habitable. Ernie acting as the door man holds out his hand for George to tip him and George looks down at his hand and water spills from the brim of his hat into Ernie's hand as if to say, "There's your tip."

I like the old Christmas Carol movie too and the old Miracle on 34th Street. Christmas Story is another favorite. Love the line when the dad gets is "prize" (the lamp) and says, "Fra-gee-lay, that must be Italian." His wife corrects him by saying it says fragile. And I have to make sure I see White Christmas and the Bells of St. Mary both with Bing Crosby.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

I must say my all time favorite is It's a Wonderful Life. The story has so much meaning to me. Whenever I think at the end all the community coming to help George out with all the money to make up the difference in his Uncle's bookkeeping mistake. (Darned ol' Mr. Potter!) I can't help but always remember when I was a young teen and my Dad getting layed off from his job. He was a maintenance worker at a local hospital. He was given the boot just a few weeks before Christmas. With 4 kids and a mortgage was so much to bear before Christmas. The hard thing too is that he had already been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease (he was in his mid to late 30's). Well, he was loved by all the employees there. He was President of the Employee's Association and set up many wonderful outings to plays, comedy, etc.. So, when news got out one of his co-workers came over just about a week or two into December. He presented my Dad with a small gold papered box. Inside was $1800 CHC (cold hard cash)! He was moved to tears! All the employees pitched in money to help us out! WE were all excited and even fanned the money out on the ground and took a picture of it! So, whenever I see that movie, it brings me to tears of the goodness of people's souls coming to help a friend in need. The saying, "What goes around, comes around." always rings true with me!

Love, Jules

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

A favorite of ours is "Holiday Inn", we're Fred Astaire fans around here. We also enjoy both versions of "Christmas Carol", the old B&W and the Hallmark one with Patrick Stewart. My snookie-ookums likes "It's a Wonderful Life".
    Although it's not strictly a Christmas movie I always watch "The Fourth Wiseman".

• midnitecrafter
    15 years ago

I had to post when I saw this. I have a quite a few favorites. One that really sticks out is "Prancer." The rural setting, the farmhouse, Cloris Leachman sliding down the hill with her long flowing coat, the handsome rugged father who finally comes around to his senses.... But love the all time favorites, It's a wonderful Life, Christmas Story, White Christmas, Little Women, Drummer Boy, etc....

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I forgot about Holiday Inn. I love it. My fave is Christmas Carol, I like the old one best too (tho I even like Mr Magoo,lol.) I like most of the Christmas movies. I'll have to look for Reckless, I've not heard of it. Off to Netflix!
    kathy

• delta9dave
    15 years ago

I had forgotten about "Scrooged". That one's my number 2.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

delta9dave,

"Scrooged" is hilarious. Bill Murry could make a statue crack up.

Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation" helps us to laugh at ourselves around Christmas. The moral to that movie is "Dont Forget The Jack Daniels, if you are hosting Christmas". Am I right?

Susie

• cait1
    15 years ago

My absolute fav is "It's a Wonderful Life". And they are showing it here on Christmas Day surprise surprise! They didn't show it the first few years I was here. And then when they did finally show it, it was during our winter in July and it didn't have quite the same feel.
    Before I moved here I made sure to tape Charlie Brown, Mr MaGoo (I've been singing songs from that one the last few weeks..."Winter was warm, summer... whatever HAHAHA) And how come no one mentioned How the Grinch Stole Christmas? "Yahoo doray Yahoo doray Welcome Christmas come what may..." They never show those in Australia. Very sad.
    I also love all the ones everyone mentioned though they don't show most of them here.
    Another favorite is "The Christmas Gift' with John Denver. If it comes on there be sure to see it.
    I haven't seen Elf so will be looking out for it.
    Cait

• sunnny
    15 years ago

I've watched It's a Wonderful Life with my family for years. We do it the night we drive around town to see the lights. My kids (age 16 and 8) even ask now when the 'night' is.
    Don't laugh but we love The Grinch (the new one). It's funny and touching and a favorite for us. I haven't seen THe Christmas Gift (and love John Denver) so we'll watch for that. I'll make a list and try to watch as many of these as we can this year.
    THanks for a great thread!
    Sunny

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I love those old ones...but when you've watched them for 63 years...lol...I'm ready for some new ones.....

I like the Home Alone movies....Chevy Chase, Christmas (can't remember the name) and ELF...My kids (adults now) can tell you every word in those movies...

patti

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz