Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Cactus and Succulents Photos

lindasewandsew
15 years ago

I visited the Mexican Hat Cactus Nursery in Riverside, CA and liked it so much that I took a couple of friends back. The photos are from 2 different days, so some are probably of the same areas. The nice man in the pic is Harvey, the owner of the place. The hillside hedge is all jade plant, the one with the small leaves. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Hat Cactus Photos

Comments (14)

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

That's my kind of place! I mentioned in another post that I love no fuss plants the best now. Succulents & cactus are the best! I've tried to get a hens and chicks wreath going on an old grape vine wreath I got at a yard sale for 50 cents. This photo from the Mexican Hat Cactus Nursery is the way I only WISH mine looked LOL. ~tenderlee

{{gwi:128075}}

Isn't his just beautiful?

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Ya'll that is the most beautiful wreath I have ever seen. Pure poetry. My jaw dropped down and caused me to drool on my shirt. BIB PLEASE!!!!!! How much would something like that cost retail? Where can I find out directions to make such a piece of garden genius???? Thank you God for such beauty. I own a monster sized aloe vera but nothing could compare to that wreath. I must learn about what the names are of all those different plants.

I'm making an 8 1/2" x 11" glossy of that.

A very excited Susie

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think these plants are as addictive as Garden Junk, lol. My friend Edna has started lots of wreaths flat on a table, then hangs them as soon as they're growing good. You can fasten 2 wire wreaths together (get at craft stores), fill them with sphagnum moss with some dirt jammed in between. These are the wreaths that you would use to make a Christmas wreath. There's a place in Newport Beach called Rogers Gardens that sells these wreaths for more than $300 to their high end clientele. You can use anything made of wire, like a cd tower, wire basket, or anything that will hold moss and plants. Edna found a cd tower at a yard sale shaped like an arbor. It had shelves in between the uprights, which she took out. I'll post pics when I get to her house. Now go wash your shirt, lol! Linda

• calicocat1967
    15 years ago

Boy he sure knows how to grow em !!!

Kim

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a few photos of Edna's wreaths and instructions for making a wreath. Be sure to let the succulent cuttings dry for at least a day or two. If they're planted soon after they're cut, they tend to rot. You may want to fill a paper bag with cuttings or just throw them somewhere dry before you go find the stuff to plant them in. I have some that have been sitting on a piece of chicken wire for weeks and they're happily growing roots right into the air. There's no rush to plant most succulent or cactus cuttings. Martha Stewart also has a video, but it may not work right. Linda
    {{gwi:128076}}

{{gwi:128077}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Wreath How To

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a succulent wreath how to video on Youtube.com. There's also another video if you type in succulent wreath. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent Wreath Video

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Well button my mouth. These are some of the greatest ideas. And with my green thumb, I think I should save this to my favs.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

These are great, never thought to make them into a wreath but they do tend to grow tall so would have to cut them back or redo every yr or so. They are fleshy & no thorns so very easy to work with. I have most of those. If you buy a 2 in. pot they are $1.99 4in. pot is$3.99 (Home Depot yesterday) You can use little plants & ask friends for a piece of whatever they have. They do have to heal over on the cut before you plant or put in wreath or they turn to mush. But you don't water very often. I really like the look! Thanks for the pics! Jan

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

THose are so cool. I have been watching for a sale on the wreath forms. Those things are the costly part. I did see a small succulent wreath at Target for 20 dollars. It was for the holidays. Succulents are one of my favorites too.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone. I read the instructions, watched the video, took down the tips and have the desire.

Are these a sun, shade, or house plant? Hardy to what degrees? Which are the hens, chicks, and that purple spikey thing that looks like a bow on the largest wreath above? I know it sounds like *I just fell off of the Turnip Truck Yesterday* but I need ya'll to just suppress your urge to say "Duh- h-h". LOL Be patient it is hard admitting that you are a 50 year old Newbie.

Susie

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

I've got one growing! I started it not this summer but last. It takes A LOT of plants to get them really full. I opted to use small starts off my hen & chicks and let it fill in. It is under a little snow in my flower bed right now. I'll have to check it tomorrow and see how it looks and maybe take a picture. I had the idea to make them to sell, but wow, it takes a lot of plants and also takes time to fill in if you use little starts. I love the pictures posted!
    Arlene

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the link to Edna's garden, which I posted recently. Between Edna, 2 neighbors and I, we have plenty to pick from.

Cindee, These should be available at florists, floral supplies, craft stores, etc. If you have a Michael's, they have coupons every week. This website showed up when Googled. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wirwreatfor.html . Don't forget to check the curb! Just about every type of wreath has a form like this under it. You can make them by cutting up tomato cages and bending them into a tube. Add chicken wire to hold the moss in. A single form can be nailed to fence boards rather than having a second form on the backside.

Susie, Most of mine grow in the shade, with some sun. Some turn very nice colors when grown in full sun. The bright colored ones in Edna's yard are in full sun. Harvey at Mexican Hat said that most of them will do fine down to around 20 degrees. You can probably grow them inside near a bright window. The hens and chicks are mostly the ones that look like tight flower heads. They get 'chicks' all around them and tend to grow in clumps close to the ground. There's a Cacti and Succulent Forum here on GW with a lot of people who are experts on this stuff. This photo is a jade plant with lots of hens and chicks. Linda

{{gwi:128078}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Edna's Garden Again

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Besides the forum on cactus & succulents about the only place you can read about them is in a book by that name. Usually arn't covered in the regular gardening books like Sunset & Ortho so look at library or used book store for cactus & succulent books! I have a lot of "All about Roses" All about Fruits" there is probably an "all about...." book on them also. Love the hens & chicks with the jade plant in the gray weathered planter, really sets them off nicely. Jade plant can get over 6 ft tall but is very easy to grow, just break off pieces. I'm surprised the succulents in the snow, I thought they were desert plants but then it does get pretty cold out in desert so am wondering just how cold can they take?? In Ohio luvs2click do you leave them out all winter?? Jan

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

Finally got the ability to post pictures again - here's mine - it's slowly filling in. Yes, I leave hens & chicks and sedums out all winter.
    Arlene

{{gwi:128079}}

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH