Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelcass

Where has eveybody gone ?????

chelcass
12 years ago

I have noticed a lot of our *regulars* has deserted the ship so to speak. Several post regularly on facebook. I guess that's the *new* thing. So Sad! Used to post here all the time but never anymore. Couldn't even get them to join in our Secret Santa. Of the ones I contacted on facebook only one responded. I hope Garden Junk doesn't fall by the wayside. This is such a good group. We are getting some new people and that is encouraging.

Chelcass

Comments (44)

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I am sad about this, too!
    We have always been a GREAT forum, with lots of comments and all sorts of ideas. There has always been a change in people, but not as much as in the last year. I don't go to facebook, and I miss all our former posters.
    Hope that some of them come back!

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

I don't do facebook either. Isn't there a way to entice them to check in?

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

We lost a lot of them when the GJ forum had a virus of some kind. My DD fixed my computer but if you had to pay I'm sure that would discourage you from coming back. Since lot of us are older or may have older parents to take care of health may have changed for some too. Hope some will check in & say "HI" Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I've been missing a lot of our "regulars" too Judy! I know some are on facebook, but I don't think that's the reason. I use Facebook every day, but it doesn't stop me from checking in here too. I just think that this has been a trying year for some folks and it's hard to get back in the swing of things. There have been so many deaths, illnesses, loss of jobs, etc. Some of our folks have become full-time travelers too. Hopefully, 2012 will be better for everyone and we can get this junkyard rolling again....hang in there and keep posting!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I lurk here "regularly" but I stopped posting. This has been a difficult year on me, mentally and physically. Plus I've made nothing for the yard in a very long time, and donated most of the stuff back to GW that was sitting in the garage for over a year. I lost interest in doing things in my yard I guess, and really no room for more out there since totems were my favorite thing to make.
    I just recently joined Facebook, so that is not what has kept me away, and I'm not on it for long at all. Its not
    "my thing" so to speak. I post quotes and read some friends stuff is all. I even forget to check their great Flea Market Gardening that has loads of pix and ideas!! It
    is like this Forum in that respect.

I will continue to lurk to see what everyone is doing, and hopefully next summer things will pick back up on the Forum for all of you. I know winters mean things get real slow here.

Hang in there,
    hugs, Karen

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

I haven't had time to do much junking lately.
    I also frequently have trouble logging into Garden Junk on either side. I get tired of getting error messages and quit trying after awhile.
    I do check in, guess I've become a lurker too.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

To me, the forum has taken on a "crafts" feel. While garden junk is a "craft" it seems a lot of the current projects and posts on the forum seem less "garden-y" and more crafty. I admire the creativity involved but I'm not into making stuff with spoons and a couple of plate flowers goes a long way with me. No offense intended to those who enjoy making these items.
    I also don't do craft shows, attend or sell at. The posts about pricing stuff and craft shows, which to me should be here on the convo side, just add to the frustration.

My two cents worth...if they're worth that.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I'm still here, too, GJers ... & I am also on FB which I have been for a few yrs now...I love it for keeping in contact & sharing (as on this GJ forum). And on this Garden Web, I also post on Holiday forum (which I love because it's alot to do w/collections, dishes, holiday decor, etc)

Didn't get alot of 'new' old GJ done this past yr ...as we took on siding the house (ourselves)...ugh! So when I shared pics, I felt like I was sharing the 'same ol, same ol' from summers past. ;-)
    Like nmgirl, I tend to skip over the 'craft shows conversations' alot ... I do love to learn the 'how-to's' like what glue is working, etc. even tho I don't do alot of glass gardening.

This is a great forum! Lots of fun people...great ideas! Time just flies by! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Some of us have tried to keep Garden junk 'pure' by posting the 'other things' we do on the conversations side. But is hasn't always worked. Others get frustrated if you complain and ask them to post on this side. Simple rule--If for any reason it goes outside on the patio or in the garden Post it on the garden junk side--if not post it on the conversations side. Great options!
    I am sorry that some of you are having problems posting
    on either side. I have not had that problem, but do have to 'sign in' a lot more often than I used to.I have been here from the very beginning, when we split from the 'accoutrements' forum. Some did split from this forum when there was a problem when Spike, the previous owner started asking for help to pay for his gardenweb site.
    I paid $15 dollars a year for a couple of years, although Garden junk we NEVER a pay site. I felt that I got more from this whole site than I would get from a magazine subscription. One group, a Wonderful group of Junkers, left when there was no place for them to stockpile photos of what we had been making. They went to MSN. Gradually that site slowed and then MSN stopped.....
    Emnest (Dottie) started Gardenjunk.Org and it never did as well as she had hoped. I still go there once in awhile, but not many do. There are photo albums of all kinds of wonderful things at that site. I always had problems finding my way around the site...But then, I am computer illiterate. I could post photos when Spike was here, but then that stopped and I never have found my way....If I could post on the photo sites, I could just as well post here. Then Spike sold to Ivillage and that started a 'riot' of folks leaving. I was sorry about that.
    To me this is one of the easiest forum to move around in.
    Anyway that is the basic history of the things that have happened here. I hope it never stops, and that we continue to get enough new people to continue on. I gripe and complain about the crafty stuff on the junk side, but I go to a lot of craft sites. Sometimes I mention junk there-LOL!
    Hope we get some of the others back!

• nanagrandma
    12 years ago

Hello GJers As some of you know my health hasn't been too good, but did go two weeks ago for my cancer check and I am still clean this will be my 3rd year free. I haven't made anything for the Garden this year so have nothing to post. I do lurk though .
    Most importantly I still display my "Healing Tree" I met someone in S.Carolina and she told me about someone she knew who has just been diagnosed with cancer. I told her about my Healing Tree so she and a group of friends are going to make one and give to this lady. As soon as I feel better I will begin redoing our yard which means I will move around some of the stuff I have done. But I wanted you all to know that Mickey Griggs idea for the tree and all of your hand made ornaments are still displayed. Oh by the way I truly believe your prayers are powerful. I am also on Facebook.

Sylvia/Nanagrandmahttp://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/NanaGrandma/?action=view&current=P1000569.jpg

• flowers12
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm, I've only been on this site for less than a year and thought that it was all about making garden junk and sharing what we made. I've only been making totems and plate flowers so I guess it's boring to only talk about that and ask about craft fairs. I've enjoyed all the feedback I've received and didn't know there were rules about what we discussed.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I think the only rules is that it should be recycled(old glass fits that & making it into plates or totems for the garden is fine!) For a while it was bowling balls getting decorated. In these times some need to make money for their families any way they can think of & we don't have a problem with some of ladies using pots & pans & making gardens & selling those. Totems & plate flowers are just another phase of recycling things. More of us would be making things like tinfoilhat if we had cotton gins & welding ability. We had a run on bikes decorated & flamingos & sheds & greenhouses so plenty of room for all. Oh yes pot people were a big thing for awhile also! GJ is changing by what we can get our hands on to use to enhance our gardens! Keep it up!! If someone isn't interested in something they can just bypass it! Rest of us like to keep getting ideas. Jan

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

There aren't any rules, to my knowledge. Perhaps more like guidelines but even that's marginal.
    Reuse, recycle, repurpose, rescue, be creative, have fun and think garden, or outdoors or potted plant or whatever!

• nonacook
    12 years ago

As long as it goes in the GARDEN or on the OUTSIDE patio, it can be made of anything.

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

Gosh, I have missed all the fun!! I am really sorry I missed Secret Santa. I was so looking forward to it. BUT my computer gave up the ghost early summer and I couldn't afford to buy a new one. BUT I saved and scrimped and FINALLY I just got my computer a couple of weeks ago!! Early Christmas present!!! I loved doing Secret Santa last year, it was my FIRST time. It was a blast. Oh well, maybe next year??? Or maybe we'll have a spring exchange. Anyway glad to be back.
    Nanagrandma, sooooooo glad you are doing so good. God bless.
    The ideas on this forum are GREAT. I don't use them all, BUT it is so much fun to look, learn, and drool over all the creative ideas.
    Glad to be back.

• chelcass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

azcactusflower, send me an e-mail

chelcalfed@yahoo.com

chelcass

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Glad to have you back azcactusflower! We've missed your posts! And please, don't anyone feel like your posts are wanted and appreciated....they ALL are!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Luna has disappeared hope they are OK. Micki-smickerdoodle?? Sorry, I'm so disorganized I don't know where I put my list of gals that where on here. Caretaker been gone for month & comes home sick so I'm it! Trying to get folks house decorated & mine & make cookies & candy for both places(folks always have us over for Christmas Eve & she can't do much. Dad in wheelchair) so I'm in a state of total confusion!!LOL Usually pretty organized this time of year- that's all out the window, now DS says coming in Jan. instead of March! I'm going to put him to work!! This is my entertainment & relaxation so hope some more will check in that they are OK & just busy!! Jan

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Luna's on FB.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I too have felt bad about the drop in posting. And I've noticed when I'm yard sailing around that I don't find junk like we used to. I love rusty stuff and have some in my garden, but I have to make my own these days (leave it outside by accident all winter) if I want some. I collect dishes for mosaicking as well as plate flowers so I have a lot on hand. And frankly, like Karen and Totems, PFs have turned out to be what I Love to make.

I guess I should post about fairs and sales only over on Crafts and Decorations forum, but I have to say the posts have fallen off there a lot also.

I don't have any problem logging on to gw, but wonder if lots of people might.

I don't come on to this side very often because I want to avoid political posts. But I suppose I can try again, if I want to share something about fairs or related with my GJ friends.

In case any one doesn't know about crafts and decorations forum, I'm putting the link below. If you have questions about fairs people there have a lot of knowledge.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafts and decorations forum

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've been thinking of this off and on today, and I had a funny thought. Maybe the rusty junkers want to kick some of us out and back into accoutrements!
    That would be funny.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I think as with all of the forums, this one moves up and down depending on what's going on in everyone's life. This year has been a busy one and a hard one for a lot of our posters. Just hang in there and keep posting when you get a chance...things will come back around again I'm sure! I love seeing what everyone is up to and what's going on in your yard, garden and in your lives.

• kim546
    12 years ago

I really enjoy this forum.It's my first and only. I still need to post pictures of my projects....good goal for 2012! :) Thanks to everyone for their creativity and letting me express mine! God Bless :) Kim

• sandyl
    12 years ago

Yep people come and go.. I so love my garden junk as well as many of the other forums, I been around the forums since 2005 I think...Merry Christmas !!!!!!! Sandy

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

I haven't been on here for a while because teaching & 10 yo keep me busy, past summer was so hot even my grass burned up, plus our old internet was so stinking slow that it got frustrating to load pages and messages only to see they weren't about garden junk.

The instruction for using the forum are under the forums list as you first sign in. They are:

* Before posting a message, make sure you have chosen the most appropriate forum from the list. Off-topic posts will be deleted at our discretion.
    * You may want to Search to see if your question has already been answered by another user.
    * Since the subject line of your message is indexed for searching, try to include important keywords in the subject. Do not post messages with subject lines in all capitals or consisting of simple subjects like "Help!"
    * Posting a message is a two step process. You will first have a chance to preview your message and verify its contents.
    * After posting your message, you may need to reload the forum page in order to see it listed.
    * html codes are allowed in the message field only.
    * No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
    * All posted material becomes the property of this site.
    * A special test forum has been provided if you just want to see how the forums work.
    * See the Help Page if you are having problems or have further questions.

• kudzukween
    12 years ago

I'm back. I've been sick a long time, and also could not afford internet for a while. I had a modified radical mastectomy followed by chemo, then radiation. Now I'm seeing a cardiologist to see if I can handle more surgery, then more therapy. I'm still sick and tired but ready for some craftiness.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I'm just about out for a while as mom had hospital stay, got new part time caretaker. So that helps but I am spending a lot of time helping them. Not much time to do my GJ projects. Hope things improve soon. So glad to hear from you Kudzu. Sorry you have been through such a rough streak. I just thought you were busy enjoying the new GS He is such a cutie. Hope that they solve your medical problems soon. Prayers going up for you that things will get taken care of & you will feel like doing things again. Jan

• kudzukween
    12 years ago

Thank you Sunny-Jan! The new grandson is a big one, I can't lift more than 10lbs. but he was almost that when he was born,lol! he's 17 almost 18 months old now, he's my fourth grand-baby:)I forgot to mention I have hormonal cancer. The blisters and burns from radiation are just about all gone, but the nerve endings from my scar haven't healed and that's very painful. I got neuropathy in my hands and feet, but I take Lyrica 2x a day for that and it helps a lot. My toenails and fingernails all fell off during chemo and grew back, but I can see the ridges in them from every chemo session, and some are breaking off again at the ridges. Weird to have so much pain everywhere. My fingernails and fingers hurt all the time,so do toenails. This is all on my list of "things they didn't tell me would happen" :)
    Louise

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Gentle hugs & good thoughts & prayers to you, kudzukween! Saw you had commented on a GJ post ...so am happy that you are back! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness Kudzu....I am SO sorry that you've been going through so much lately. We had no idea here. You sound like you've been a trooper though. Can't even imagine the pain you've been in and I sure hope you will see an end to it soon. I will definitely be praying for you and hoping for a speedy recovery. Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. Keep us posted.

Hugs to you~
    Marlene

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

So glad to hear from you Kudzu! I love your blog too, and had noticed you went inactive there at the same time as here.
    What an ordeal you have been through. Prayers and best wishes that you soon return to health!
    Kathy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I am glad to see Kudzu here again, and so sorry for the reason she has been gone. We could have been saying prayers for you had we known. I kept going to the blog too!

Anyone on facebook that knows about Luna tell her that we miss her here, and to please come and visit us.

• addicted2junk
    12 years ago

I haven't been around for nearly two years. Soooo much has been going on in my life(I won't bore you with all the details)and I really haven't had time for "junking". Things are starting to settle down now and I really need to get life back on track. I just came back to GJ and was surprised to see so many new people here. I didn't see any of the 'older' folks that I remembered from 2 years ago. A big thank you to the newer people for keeping this forum going. I would have been very upset if it had just dwindled away.
    I am just a "little" disappointed that the same projects are being discussed/made since I've been gone. We need to amp up our creativeness!!!!!! I'm not that artistic so I'm counting on the kindness of others. =) Sometime in the future (when weather permits in IL) I will post some pics of things that I've made in the past and see if that will get some creative juices going!!!!
    I just moved to a new house and I have a "very large" yard as my canvas. There is absolutely no starting point. No flower garden left behind form previous owners, NOTHING. So starting right now I have to start making my list and jotting down ideas of how I am going to transform my vast, soon to be, green landscape this summer.
    Glad to be back and looking forward to meeting new GJer's.
    Cindy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Welcome back!
    My biggest problem is not being
    able to post pictures. I am still here but
    just comment on the things of others.
    Spring is just around the corner now
    (I hope!) and we can all begin to do
    more things. Good luck on the new
    'canvas' that you have.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

nona...you can join Photobucket for free! That's how I post my pics on here...I just download them from my camera to my computer & then use Photobucket to choose which ones I want to post. Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I used to post photos directly here, but some things changed. Also, my digital camera quit. Now my website
    carrier has deleted all web sites, so I am in a MESS every which way -smile.....

• jlily
    12 years ago

Kudu my prayers to you! I am an almost 3 year breast cancer survivor. I, too, lost one breast and the fingernails and the toenails, etc. I am just now getting to where I feel like I can make things and enjoy life again. Blessings, Jlily

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

My gosh, Kudzu! What an ordeal. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. I went through radiation, but rather than the 'normal' chemo I had Herceptin which supposedly targets only the cancer cells. I was one of the lucky ones. The type of cancer was aggressive, but only one cell found. It started out as Paget's disease of the nipple...a very rare disease.
    I have been lurking a lot on the garden junk site, but haven't been posting much. Not sure why. I've been really busy making garden art to sell in my etsy shop so haven't taken the time to post what I'm making. I keep thinking that people might not want to see the same things with a little different design. I really enjoy this site and come here nearly every day.

• daisydal
    11 years ago

hey yall! i have been away for a long time.... lots of changes in my life, divorce, lost my job, (thats what happens when you work for your husbands company, bummer) and then sold our home that i had poured myself into. i have recently relocated to Huntington Beach, CA. to try to FIND myself again, what better place to heal than by the beach. it was so good to read all of the posts from everyone and i still come and lurk once in awhile, its like visiting your hometown when i read everyones posts.. all of my GJ is in storage back in Oklahoma but when my heart and soul heals, maybe the creative juices will start flowing again.... this has always been more than just a site to post pics and discuss our junk. i have made great friends here and still stay in contact on fb with many of them. peace,love and happy junking to you all.....

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Glad to hear from you Daisydal and I hope you get yourself back on the creative bandwagon soon! I always drool over your creations!

• daisydal
    11 years ago

awwww, what a sweet thang to say, Marlene!!! I guess there are alot of people over on FB now, but i will never forget the great times spent here with everyone....so many "real" people here. I got so caught up over at Pinterest, too...i spend way too much time there. i havent quite got back into my true self yet, i know i'm still there, somewhere, i just gotta keep trying. maybe the best way to heal is to roll up my sleeves and get back to creating. Do voodoo dolls of my exhusband and his girlfriend count as craft projects??? LOLOLOL!! at least i havent lost my sense of humor.... :)

• nonacook
    11 years ago

daisydal, glad to see you posting again.
    Sorry about your problems, and hope things
    will soon straighten out for you.
    I, too, spend too much time on pinterest!
    Voodoo dolls?--maybe!

• kudzukween
    11 years ago

I'm still around, and on facebook
    Louise Yvette Radau Smith Hensley
    I still don't feel like crafting outside anyway:)
    I stay in bed, I am SO TIRED and I know one day I'll snap o ut of it. Nueropathy,fibromyalga,24-7 back and bone pain,my eyes have suffered from the chemo/radiation,cardiologist informed me i had a heart attack at some point in the last few years,lol,wow. i think it was after the storm when we were building the front porch!i did go to the hospital for chest pains back then. just had foot surgery for a bunion,will do other foot in a few weeks. hoping this may help with back pain! tests show no fractures breaks or anthing,bone density scan and tests are good,so it's not that.just lots and lots and lots going on. husband deserted me over a year ago,kharma caught up with him and now HE has cancer, lung cancer stage4 and brain cancer.
    i'm also a pinterest junkie! same name as above and mskudzukween. i see lots of members garden junk pics! and new stuff i've never seen before i save in a garden junk category.
    miss all ya'll!
    kudzu

• leveta
    11 years ago

I'm here from time to time. I to am on facebook. I also go to the Junk Revelution site. It's also slowed way down. Alot of things have happened in our family over the past yr. But God is good...and has helped me keep going...I'm glad to see some of the old gang on this post...