Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Fun Christmas Gift Idea on Photobucket

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

I read a precious blog the other day. The lady talked about using Kodak Shareware to convert a picture into a drawing. I found out that Photobucket (and probably other photo sites) can do the same trick. Using the 'edit' feature, push "Sketch". The picture becomes a drawing or coloring sheet.

She takes a picture of a house (when a new neighbor moves in it or relative buys one, or friend is moving away from their house) and allows the computer to turn the house picture into a B/W sketch. She prints it out. Then she frames it and gives it to that person as a memory gift!!

You could also make coloring books for kids and Grandkids to color reccognizable pictures like Maw Maw's garden. A picture of their tricycle will become an heirloom in a frame. A picture of a teens first car will forever be saved. Or Paw Paw's boat. Let your imagination run wild!!! I love this.

Susie

Comments (18)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Susie,
    Honestly...I've been using Photobucket for ages and never took the time to explore it. I can't thank you enough for pointing this out to us. It's wonderful!!

I can't believe all the options!! Whee!!

~Sandy~

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I didn't find anything to draw a picture...all I found was a pencil...and I can't move it around good enough to follow the lines...

I wanted to make a pencil drawing of our barn.

I'd love that for myself...

Oh and even though the picture of the barn is at photobucket...it says the owner no longer has that picture or something like that...I didn't quite get that.

patti

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Susie...I LOVE to play with my photoshop :D I take lots of pictures of my little relatives and make what looks like a pastel chalk portrait. It's fun to make what we call the Comic Book portraits,too. And you can make photos look like the old Glamour Shots. Also if you get different brushes you can do things like add lace, or butterfly wings; all kinds of collages.
    Oh, and what is a new favorite hobby of mine is making black and white photos look hand tinted.

{{gwi:128116}}

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Oh, I've got to find the time to play with that! I was a typesetter in my previous life (before retiring) so I should be able to navigate through it hopefully. Thanks for the info girls! ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patti,

When you pull up a picture (you may need to reupload the barn picture) you click 'edit' and there will be a lot of choices across the top of the page. You will see a choice called 'sketch'. It is a one click process. However, you also can choose the sketch to appear 'light' or 'dark'.
    Regular pic of my grandbaby:

{{gwi:128117}}

Now coloring book or sketch picture of grandbaby:

{{gwi:128118}}

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Wow, so cute.......and guess what? My granddaughter is a ballerina,too! She's 7 years old :D This would look lovely as an oil painting .

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kudzukween :)

Are you talking about an "oil painting" using Photoshop or a real painting?

This is when she was 7 1/2. She lived with us at that time. She is 9 now.

Susie

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Here is "Cartoon" effect on one of my plate flowers. I love what it did to the foliage in my garden. I had no idea that photo buck did this. I have paint shop pro at home, but I like this particular one better. I'll have to up load some real flowers and landscapes and try it on them.

{{gwi:128119}}

kathy

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grand daughter in a normal photo:
    G{{gwi:128120}}reat

Grand daughter using PhotoBucket editing tools:

{{gwi:128121}}

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Pattico, you go to edit and then to effects.
    kathy
    ps Susie you have a lovely grand daughter. What a great idea about the coloring book.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

What a beautiful little girl! Picture perfect! The last pic in the green outfit looks like maybe something from World War II era in the 2nd shot. Cool.

Kathy, that flower plate pic turned out groovy. That is the word (I don't use it much lol) that came to mind for that particular pic. ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If ya'll knew how intimidated I am of trying new things on the computer you'd understand how tickled I was to discover Photo Bucket. I have never even touched Photo shop.

Kathy's discovery of the cartoon feature is sensational!! Another idea is to make comic books using whatever you have pictures of. Then you can make up a funny story. This would make a fun gag gift.

My grandbaby was dancing to the "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" that day.

Susie

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I really like the cartoon feature, used it last year on Kodak and had Xmas cards made up of two of my Whippets. I had a photo I loved of a mom-daughter, and sent to all my dog friends. Kodak has neat card designs to play with too.
    I haven't explored all the new features Photobucket has started but looks fun. I did redo all our Inspiration albums with special effects, LOL. Themes and frames.

Lacey and Lotte,
    {{gwi:128122}}

hugs, Karen

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Isn't this fun? That's how I got hooked on reverting photos to black and white or sepia, and then tinting them :D
    My photoshop has a lot of filters and gizmos....you can take a photo and turn it into an oil painting look. Something my daughter and son in law got me. There are a lot of free brushes out there to use in photoshop for adding visual effects, it's like having an ink stamp to add to the photo. Like adding clouds, or spiders and a web, or flowers. I took photos of my grandchildren, and added butterfly wings to each, and printed them out to a 4x6 size. Then I cut them out, and used glitter glue pens, and added some rhinestones here and there, and then made pixie jars, or fairy jars with them.
    {{gwi:128123}}

{{gwi:128124}}

{{gwi:128125}}

Some were Christmas gifts last year, and the recipients LOVED them. There is a flicker candle in the lid, battery operated.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Yes, kudz...I LOVE the fairy jars of your grandkids! I'm still going to try that.

Purplemoon...love your Christmas card of the Whippets...what a cool pic using the cartoon feature.

My photo program is Microsoft Digital Image Suite...I love it also...you can manipulate alot & add special effects...I like to soften the edges sometimes in my pics...my sis got me hooked on this program some yrs. ago.

I've made coloring pages for grandkids & also fun calendars for Christmas...you can print your own and then take them to a print store and they will bind with those curly black plastic binders...works out pretty good!

Thanks, everyone, for this post...interesting ideas! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

This is one of the features I tried on Photobucket ... one of my favorites.

{{gwi:128127}}

It's called Pop Art a la Andy Warhol.

Love all the effects you guys came up with. Karen, I just love that picture of your Whippets!

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cherry,

The Fairy-Granbabies are so so so fantastic!!! I can not believe how many creative things are on your blog too.

Lacey and Lotte you two are very photogenic! Do you charge your Mommy for your modeling time? I'll check with the whippet union. :)

Luna,

Cool modern edge!!! Ya'll know so much about photo tricks. I want to catch up too.

Susie

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

OH...I absolutely love the fairy jars!! What a great idea!!

~Sandy~

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting