Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseetrash

Goats for weed control

tennesseetrash
15 years ago

Only in Chattanooga :-) thought y'all might get a kick out of our city's current solution to the weeds and kudzu growing up around the steep hillsides over the tunnels in town, etc.

We use goats! LOL ~tenderlee

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_138221.asp

Comments (10)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

tenderlee,

I was born and lived a long time in North Alabama. Kudzu drapes entire forests like a cloth looks thrown across a bush. It covers everything! Goats!!! How genius is that? I think I'll call my step dad and tell him to put away the sling blade (our farmer neighbors use chemicals).

Thanks!!!!

Susie-

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

They use goats out here in Ca. too. Also some other animal, think it was donkeys. Out on some of islands in ocean to control something but they did little too well & numbers grew so they brought some of the donkeys to mainland. Islands don't have people but some kind of weeds. My girlfriend had 3/4 acre in city & used a sheep to keep it down. It was a very fat sheep! Jan

• tennesseetrash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, goats are lots greener for the environment than chemicals.

Not surprised they're using grazing animals elsewhere, I shouldn't have said Only in Chatta probably. I just meant it in a hillbilly kind of way lol.

The goats don't mind grazing on these steep hills around here. They eat the heck out of kudzu, which drapes over much of the South.

Susierose, my paternal grandparents are from NW Ala. Got relatives still living there.

Well all I can say is baaaa baaaaa baaaaa *grin* ~tenderlee

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

What a GREAT idea! I'm from the hills of Pennsylvania and goats would be perfect to trim back the steep hillsides!

~~Mimi

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Oh, this is about animals but little off subject, GF in Wis had nephew go to China last winter, he emailed her about the pig farms!! He is a vet. dr. so works with animals & couldn' understand having pigs all over but no smell, guide said, see those people with those containers, they run around after the pigs & clean up poop & it is taken & turned into fuel for heating.Only fresh poop works tho. That was 1 of many interesting things he learned on trip. I hear 1 of Carolina's is full of pig farms & it could be new fuel source altho I think we would have to import Chinese folks to clean up after the pigs as don't think anyone over here would do it. About goats I lived on farm for short time when 5 & we lived in basement house, every time I stepped outside the billygoat knocked me down,I sure hated that critter!!Mom didn't like the farm either so we left after about 3 mos. If I see a goat I go the other way.Jan

• tennesseetrash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny story about the vet in China, Jan! I imagine that methane is the gas they're getting from the fresh poop. Lots of chicken growers in this area do that with chicken poop also.

My hubby was a country boy, and had a billy goat named what else but Billy lol. He said that goat was mean as the devil! He said goats really smell too. But they're one of the few critters that will eat kudzu and some other weeds.

They've been doing this here in town for 2 or 3 years now, and the only problem so far has been protecting the goats from the occasional unleashed dog or other large animals.

Mimi, maybe they can use a little goat power in PA too! The steep terrain doesn't seem to phase them! ~tenderlee

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

What a cool idea! I know they used to use sheep for cutting the lawns on big estates years ago. I always wish our city would allow us to have chickens. I know Madison, WI does. They allow people to have 2 hens for eggs. They eat bugs and provide wonderful fertilizer besides providing fresh eggs.

Sunnyca, you reminded me of the goats that they have a petting zoos. If you aren't quick enough to feed them, they will actually jump up on you like a dog. And, yes, they are pretty smelly!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Goats are great for weed control. We had one before too!! I would like to have some more to eat weeds in the future. Right now we have range cows but they can do more damage then good at times.

• amesly
    15 years ago

We use them up in Canada too, and saw on TV a lady in the Seattle area has a business renting them out!

She calls it Rent a Ruminant! I thought that was pretty good. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rent A Ruminant

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Tenderlee, you reminded me, there was article in paper about the goats & they mentioned they have 2 dogs guarding them & keeping them from straying. Could get dangerous as we do have occasional mountain lion, & dogs in packs & coyotes even a bear. But they do a great job!! The last bear that showed up took over a swimming pool, it was really funny, it was quite a few miles away towards Ventura, don't think they have been this close.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor