Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

omg there's a snake in my house.....again

kudzukween
15 years ago

I hear my grandson excitedly talking to his Mom early this morning, and she's saying "no, there's not,stop it".......and suddenly my 2 dogs run down the hall to her bedroom. So Hoss and I look at each other like ???? so I run after the dogs. And as I get to my daughter's room I can hear her saying OMG OMG.....*sigh* she says "there's a SNAKE right THERE" pointing to a spot a couple feet from her head on the floor. I didn't see it, but she described what sounds like a rat snake.......*dirty word* x 10....I have a friend of my sons coming later to look for it. It's been warm, then really cold and then warm the same day. And now it's hot and muggy and I don't know how many more times I can handle this! LOL...oh, I gotta mention we live by a river, and there's other people's fields near us that the hay gets mowed in. Always mice and rats, then snakes after that. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere :D

LOL my grandson told her "Mama, I can't get out of bed, there's a snake on the floor" and he kept telling her, but she didn't believe him :D

I might run away from home, ya'll!!

Kudzu

Comments (13)

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

At least it wasn't a venomous snake. Not much consolation though..........

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wellll........all "the guys" have stood around and discussed it, and come to the conclusion that "it went back out the way it came".....
    where have I heard this story before???
    *sigh*
    Kudzu, who won't be getting any sleep for the next few months

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

That snake business would drive me crazy! But I bet it's beautiful living close to a river & countryside. I'd be afraid to put my feet on the floor though :-)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh creepy! I really feel for you! I'd be hopping from one piece of furniture to another...and at my age that would be no easy feat!

Your telling about this reminded me of when I was a kid. My brother and I helped his friend trap a rattle snake in his garage. His dad didn't believe us about the rattle at first. I guess he just had to hear if for himself!! LOL

~Sandy~

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Any more news on your snake? I remember the other story you told of the one at your front door. Like Sandy said, "Creepy!" Bear Hugs! Kirk

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Snakes, not my favorite.
    Big testostorone filled He-men who can not find it and kill it for me - not my favorite either. LOL

We had to kill a snake a few weeks ago. I was looking for snails out in the sewer cleanout, watering system, water meter, PVC pipes sticking up out of the ground. The caps on some of these pipes have small vent holes. Snails get down in there to make woopy. I stick my arm way down there and pick out the snails. Well on this paticular day there was a 6" monster snake down in there. I just knew he was growling at me. I ran and got my garden gloves and gave them to Hubs to pull him out. He committed murder right there in the front yard. Then I hopped around feeling grossed out, nausiated, gagging, and guilty. We dumped the body in the garbage and waited for Animal Cruelty trucks to come pick us up and bag my garden gloves as evidence.
    As for now I'm still "on the lamb" so dont tell anyone ya'll. Let this be our secret.

Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Kudzu, are you sure the snake is gone,maybe he just found a nice warm spot to curl up in!! Do you check for holes around your house? Mine is so tight nothing can get in. If mice chew through wood you can put sheet metal on 1st & that will keep critters out, our church has a crawl space where the pantry section is & they bit right through the plaster, we used sheet metal, nailed it in good & never have had problem since. I'm more scared of mice than snakes but if I got 1 it would probably rattle! Susie you are so funny- the S & S killer is on the loose!! (Snake & Snail) LOL!!!! Jan

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Kudzuqueen, politely usher them out.
    I have been there. We pretty much live out in the boonies here in FL and have had (several) snakes in (several) houses too. Just show them the way out.
    They really don't want to be there with you, any more than you want to be there with them.
    Everything's here for a reason.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I don't kill the good snakes but if a rattler or moccasin were bugging us I might.
    My grandson brought me the prettiest lil ringneck,they are so tiny but I told him his mama was looking for it. The black snakes here grow HUGE but they eat rats,frogs and venomous snakes I do not allow them to be killed.That is probably why I have no venomous ones. the egrets and herons also eat snakes.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I told you....your life is so much like mine...LOL

this is what I found in my house last year...
    {{gwi:128172}}

patti

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Kudzu, sorry about my previous post, I had had a couple glasses of wine and was feeling pretty brave, (just show the snake the door, lol).

I do know how you feel though, it's such a shock to come up upon one in the house and you can't shake the feeling thinking it might still be there. Especially with little ones around.

You know those 3 tier hanging mesh baskets you use for potatoes and onions- in a different house (yes, close to the water) I came into the kitchen one day to find one hanging off of it, another time one was under the kitchen counter. Another place (yes, close to the water) was bad for moccasins, big ones. The barn had a concrete floor and they liked to come stretch out along the corners. Had to be real careful moving things.

I've had a little ringneck in the bathroom at this house, so far that's all, though. You've got me snakey just thinking about it, now.

Anyway I hope you find your snake, or don't find your snake, lol, whichever is better. And don't forget to take a picture like Patti did! Now there's a brave soul.

• huntermom
    15 years ago

Used to b....
    You reminded me when I was a kid I saw Swiss Family Robinson...remember the snake scene? he was wrestling with it in the water, anyway I was in bed, had to go and stepped on my hula hoop. I just knew my bed was surrounded by snakes. Had to step on furniture while screaming for my mom.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh goodness, Patti ! It just happens way too often,doesn't it!Garden, when I had a small portico, I had two ferns hanging off it,door open and the screen door. A huge black racer was curled up in the fern, then decided to reach out and get on the screen. It crawled across the screen and across the side of the house. That was the first time I'd seen one go across a flat wall. The next time was across my son's bedroom wall, then it squeezed into the back of his TV.
    What's weird is, when we were younger and roamed the woods looking for plants and petrified wood, we'd just step over cottonmouths and duck down if they were hanging in trees over our head. When we'd float the river, they'd jump up straight out of the water like a tall stick or something, and sometimes try to get in the boat..we'd bat at them with an oar, and tell them "git"....but now when I think back to those days, it gives me the shakes and I wonder what in the hell were we thinking? We were a long way from nowhere and no way to get to a hospital!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022