Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Our very unusual Feline

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

For the past couple of years we've had a visitor pretty much every night to our cats' food bowls. He started coming as a baby, but as you can see from the picture, he's gotten quite large feasting on the leftover cat food. For the past couple of weeks though he's been coming earlier and earlier since it gets dark so early now. Finally was able to sneak the front door open and grab a picture! Isn't he just as cute as he can be?! Hahaha! He does have awesome little front hands though!

{{gwi:128181}}

Comments (5)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I had a family of those 'felines' join me in the Indiana cabin this year!!!!!
    I caught 5 of them and took them to the woods and turned them loose. They were probably just weaned because they were only about 6-7 inches long (minus their tails). However one must have died in my 12 inch wall space, because we could smell it. As soon as I saw one, I put out food at night, to try and avoid that happening, but maybe it was too too afraid?!?! I caught them in a 5 gallon bucket turned on its side--When they went in to eat, I would put the lid on.
    Better to have possums than raccoons. Raccoons might look cuter, but can be very mischievous and/or mean.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Our possums are all white all the time! 1st time I've seen a brown 1. I cornered 1 outside my kitchen 1 night when I went to take some trash out. Don't know who was more scared him or me! All I saw were his eyes & ran back in & got a flashlight. I just got out of there & he left. Another time I had left large trash barrel out with no lid as it started to rain after I put couple of inches of leaves in it. I thought I better get water out when it got sunny instead I saw 1 laying on the wet leaves & half in the water,he looked dead but in case he hadn't drowned I tipped it over on side, he didn't move- until I left & came back & he was gone. I once found 1 hanging upside down right outside front door in ivy growing up around garage window, I woke up the neighborhood yelling I think!! At the time I didn't know what it was. Sure leave smelly poop tho! Ugh! Think they are better looking with a brown coat. White ones look kind of albino! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Jan, they don't say "playin' possum" for nothing. They often pretend to be dead to avoid predators. That's probably what that one was doing. Bob's daughter found one in the yard when she was little and came running in the house talking about the dead animal in the yard. When they went back out to see it, it was gone. Most opossums we see around here are actually dead ... flat in the road.

Years ago I got the biggest scare. I was sitting at a red light in downtown Milwaukee one afternoon, when the biggest rat I ever saw walked next to my car. I shrieked and even moved my leg aside like it could get through the car door. lol At second look, I saw it was a opossum! They sure get around.

Marlene, your chubby guy looks a little worried that he got caught. Kind of like, "oh I just happen to be standing here NOT eating any cat food, just curious about how you humans live, NOT eating cat food, really, I'm not!"

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Luna, I did have a dead baby possum, it was spread out in my yard on its back & not breathing, poor little thing, I hoped a critter would take it away & it did. 1 in trash container was stiff looking & sure looked dead but wasn't so he was playing. The cornered 1 might have attacked if I had gone closer to it, they do attack occasionally. He was kind of crouched so I jumped back in house. If they are going to live here OK as long as I don't have to see them. Oh, & don't die on my property, I can't deal with that, my dad always came to my rescue, now I get a neighbor man to help me. I just came across a disease that is caused by raccoons poop, I always thought they were so clean, neighbors used to feed them when my kids were small, I always hoped they would come visit me. Glad they didn't as it is nerve weakness,lose ability to walk etc. type disease they carry, so be careful to wear gloves & mask if you have raccoons & have to clean up after them. I've misplaced the paper I had on it. Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Wow, I didn't know that about raccoons! I would be hesitant about feeding any wild animals (on purpose that is) except birds because they can spread disease or have rabies. I remember my aunt's dog liked to kill rats in the chicken coop and leave their dead carcasses all over the yard. Not a pleasant sight. lol! So I don't think I'd like to clean dead bodies up in my own yard. It's nice of your neighbor to help you out.