Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

My Freezer Died!

kudzukween
15 years ago

Our huge roasting turkey, 22+lbs.,was in there, and our 12 lb. frying turkey......and whoa......my shrimp gumbo! ew,that's gonna smell......gah, I'm so upset!

Totally,completely thawed out! Hoss is roasting the small one right now.....we have our fingers crossed we don't all get sick! It did have ice crystals in it, though...darndarndarndarn and other ugly words

All of it, a not so small fortune....

Comments (12)

• kirkus
    15 years ago

I'm soooooooo sorry! I really feel for you! We had a terrible ice storm a few years back, lost electricity for 10 days, and had to put all of our freezer items in the snow. Forunately, it stayed coooold for quite some time, and we were able to save everything. Good luck to you. Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kirkus :D It must be about 75* today...my a/c has been running. I'm just sick about this! Things could be worse, we could've had a lot more meat in there, or 4 or 5 turkeys. I'm glad we didn't buy any appetizers yet, and we have the fridge's freezer packed. Oh, and those popsicles could've been the ones on the stick in paper, instead of the plastic sleeves! LOLLLLLLLL

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

So sorry Cherry,

If you had veggies I would make a huge soup and call the neighbors or deliver containers. Wish I was there to help. I know you feel over whelmed. :(

Susie

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

My sympathy to you. Everytime we have a hurricane and the electric goes out we have to cook it all! I dont have a freezer just a side by side so I cant IMAGINE all that you have!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Oh NO!!!!! That is so sad)-: I am sorry this has happened. We just got our turkey today. Its in the fridge till next Thursday thawing out slowly. I hope your turkey will be tastey.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll.....I'm still fretting over that little disaster.
    We had the small turkey for dinner, HossFly roasted it. That was a few hours ago and nobody got sick :D

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

I have been there before. One time years ago we lost electricity for 7 days because of a very bad storm. It was in the summertime. The worst part about it was we also owned our own hardware store. We didn't sell just hardware. We had fishing supplies and some of those supplies were worms, minnows, ice, beer, etc. Thank goodness for insurance!!!! It didn't cover all of it but it helped some for the business. For home, our good friends from a nearby town brought us their generator. It's a good feeling to know you have friends come to your rescue in hard times.

Hope you end up having a wonderful thanksgiving
    Cindy

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Welll, is your freezer old, if it is new ones are so much cheaper to run. I just got a new Sears 1, 3 yrs ago & my electric bill was cut in half!! Old one was 1968 & really hogged electricity. If it is fairly new clean it out & try starting it up & see if pan of water will freeze. Mine went out about 6 mos ago & that is what the repairman told me to do, I figured he was nuts or lazy! Called my dad & he said yes that will probably work. If a tiny bit of a speck got in the line while being manufactured it can cause freeon stuff they use now to freeze up once it thaws ,it will work,You clean it so it'snice to use, not because it helps with the problem. If you had ton of ice in bottom you might have a plugged drain. Mine is frostless so no plug. Another common problem is the fan no longer working. Anyway if you get new 1 go on line & check out the costs & energy it takes each yr as it can make a huge difference. Oh, if getting new TV check wattage out too, some of them are a shocker!!! Hope this helps you out! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about your freezer! It's always so annoying when you lose the food you have stored...especially when it's so close to Thanksgiving! Hope you can get another one soon!

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll, I got it right before Katrina hit, so about 3 years ago. We used it as a big ice chest then. I wouldn't call it old,lol! I've only had this problem once before, and I didn't know it had happened til too late then either. That was due to a power outage, and I had to reset that little button. I had to clean it out after that, I dumped baking soda in it, and also had read to use wadded up sheets of newspaper to absorb odors........and let me tell ya...that little trick works great! We live in the South, and I normally have seafood in it, so you can imagine what sort of ucky smells were in there.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Bummer, 3 years isn't long at the price of fridges these days.

Had the same thing happen with a 3 day power outage after a storm here approx 6 years ago. We had just gone to Sam's Club and bought a dang freezer & fridge of stuff right before it happened too. Lost over $200 just in meat & seafood. Ugh.

Not to mention that dang clean up. Sorry that happened! BTDT - Been there done that! ~tenderlee

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Cherry, Check your warranty book as some of them have a 5 or 10 yr warranty on the motor. Mine has 10 yr & reason I did not buy the extra warranty they offer! Your's may still be covered! Jan