Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldrustybucket

What'che Cooking Turkey Day

oldrustybucket
17 years ago

Where is that BabblingBetty? She always gets us started in the right direction with her scrumpous Dressing in a Crockpot ...guess I'll have to do a search to find it this year......is she busy in the garden or just holding out on us! I think she'll forgive us if we get it started without her..let's plan that menu together! She sounds like such a good cook...

Comments (15)

• oldrustybucket
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lookie Lookie Lookie....what i found in my search......

Sharing a favorite Thanksgiving Recipe...please post yours
    Posted by babblingbetty (My Page) on Fri, Nov 21, 03 at 12:36

This is a family favorite....so good and so easy! Gives you time to sit and visit a while with your family. Notice #1 calls for celery...my family does not care for celery so I use #2
    Crockpot Cornbread Dressing #1

Cornbread Dressing cooked in crockpot posted by babbling betty on November 21, 2001 at 07:00:13:

Cornbread Dressing

1 cornbread, 8 inch pan
    8 slices day old bread, toasted and cubed
    4 eggs
    1 medium onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. poultry seasoning
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    2 Tbsp butter

Lightly grease crock pot. Crumble cornbread into mixer bowl. Add all ingredients except butter. Pour mixture into crock pot. Dot top with butter. Cook on high 2 hours or on low 3-4 hours.

Crockpot Dressing #2

1 (8 inch) pan cornbread
    8 slices dry white bread
    4 eggs
    2 c. chicken broth
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 tsp. sage
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    Celery to taste
    1 med. onion
    2 tbsp. butter

Mix ingredients except butter.
    Place in crock pot. Dot butter on top.
    Cook 2 hours on High then 4 hours on low.

Have a Wonderful Holiday!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Sharing a favorite Thanksgiving Recipe...please post yours
    Posted by: twodirtyknees zone7 (My Page) on Fri, Nov 21, 03 at 12:40

May I request a recipe....my DH wants corn casserole...i want easy corn casserole! suggestions please! I prefer recipes that friends recommend rather than "betty crocker" ones ... real people know how to cook!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: techsupport8 WI Z5 (My Page) on Fri, Nov 21, 03 at 14:06

I posted this on the other recipe exchange thread - but it's really good Thanksgiving morning before all the craziness gets going.
    Cranberry coffeecake

2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter or margarine; softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    1 can (16 oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
    1/2 cup walnuts; chopped
    -----glaze-----
    1/3 cup confectioners sugar
    3 teaspoons warm water
    1/2 teaspoon almod extract

Combine first 4 ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, mix well. Add combined flour mixture alternately with sour cream. Add extract. Spoon one third of batter into a greased 9 inch square baking pan. Top with one third of cranberry sauce. Repeat layers twice, topping with remaining cranberry sauce. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over warm cake. Can be served warm or room temperature. Yummy on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning - if made the night before, it's easy too!

Posted by: KimmyStar 7b-8a (My Page) on Fri, Nov 21, 03 at 15:22

Sweet Potato Casserole
    3 cups boiled and mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup melted butter
    Mix and pour into casserole dish.

Topping:
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 flour
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup soft butter
    Mix all ingredients with fingers.
    Then, sprinkle over potato mixture.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

YUMMY! Christmas and Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without it.

Posted by: luvsroses MI SE Z5 (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 0:21

I make these every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Everyone looks forward to these, so I make a quadruple batch! One batch makes between 6 and 7 dozen, but they can be frozen and once thawed, are just as soft and good as they were when you took them out of the oven. They are THE best oatmeal raisin cookies you will ever taste in your life.
    These come from the 1963 Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook. My mom has been making these since she got the book back in '63.

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup raisins
    1 cup water
    3/4 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 1/2 cups Gold Medal Flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Simmer raisins and water in saucepan over low heat until raisins are plump, 20 to 30 min. Drain raisin liquid into measuring cup. Add enough 3 water to make 1/2 cup.

Heat overn to 400* (mod. hot). Mix shortning, sugar, eggs, and vanila. Stir in raisin liquid. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting (not really necessary these days though is it?). Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; blend in. Add rolled oats, nuts, and raisins. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 min., or until lightly browned. Makes 6 to 7 dozen cookies.

Note: If you use Gold Medal Self-Rising Flour (I don't recommend it), omit baking powder, soda, and salt.

Enjoy.
    Barb

Posted by: klynnnn z8 SC USA (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 8:45

twodirtyknees, I'll call my Grandma and get her recipe, I thought I had it around here somewhere but who knows where! It's a "corn pudding" recipe - this is always one of my requests when we do a family reunion (well, when I used to go to them) ....
    I don't have any special recipes except for my stuffing ... I stick with just the basics - cooking a 12 lb or so turkey just for myself so I'll have lots of leftovers! (and it's the stuffing and potatoes I prefer over the turkey anwway!) ;)

I don't make dressing, I actually stuff the cavity of the turkey. I find around here that most folks make dressing on the side - which do you do??

For my stuffing:

2/3 loaves of several day old (fresh) bread torn into pieces
    chopped celery
    chopped onion
    cut up liver pieces from the turkey
    1/2 dozen eggs (give or take)
    1 cup or so melted butter
    poultry seasoning, seasoned to taste
    salt/pepper

I just tear up the bread until I have enough that fills up the roasting pan. Sprinkle the seasoning on and mix it around, add the onions and celery, the eggs and then the butter and mix up well and then just stuff it in until I can't get anymore in anywhere - both the cavity and the neck portion ....

Then I just throw the turkey in the roasting pan, add a bit of water and cook for 5 or so hours, starting out at a higher 350 temp and then turning down to a lower 250 or so temp after it cooks for a while, and taking the lid of the roasting pan to brown it ... By the time I take it out, I've got some nice seasoned juices for gravy and the meat is falling off the bones - there is no carving a turkey at my house, just cutting the breast! ;)

This is served with freshed mashed potatoes and gravy, some "heat up" rolls, canned jelled cranberry sauce, and perhaps some LeSuer peas... YUM!

K :)

No Corn Pudding, Lots of Dressing
    Posted by: FoxesEarth z8 swGA (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 9:14

My mother made corn pudding, too. I didn't save the recipe.
    She also made wonderful dressing. Baked in a huge iron skillet. Grew her own sage for seasoning, used lots of celery and onion. There are several versions of dressing (and stuffing) and I think it's a matter of taste. She made a fairly dry dressing, that was light and fluffy (added some baking powder). My mother in law made a dressing that I referred to privately as 'wet bread'. No herbs, minimal celery. The farther south you go in Georgia, the wetter and blander the dressing, I've found.
    I like lots of cornbread, minimal loaf bread or croutons, heavy on the poultry seasoning, cups of celery and onion. The giblets and chopped egg go in the gravy. I sometimes add oysters or pecans to have a dressing with even more yummy flavors.
    My friend Bob had plain and oyster dressing one year. The oyster dressing was so popular with his wife's family that he took it outside to hide it so it wouldn't all be eaten and he'd have leftovers. The cats ate it!

Posted by: BradinIowa 5 Ia (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 9:53

Baked Corn Casserole
    A creamy corn, cream cheese, and onion casserole that's a holiday winner!
    Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 30 Minutes. Ready in:
    approx. 45 Minutes. Makes 8 servings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/4 cup butter
    2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
    1 (11.25 ounce) can whole kernel
    corn, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green
    chile peppers
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions
    Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2 In a medium size bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese. Mix in
    whole kernel corn, cream-style corn, chiles, chopped onions, and 1/2 can of
    the French-fried onions. Pour mixture into a 1 quart casserole dish.

Posted by: JLily Z6 (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 10:25

Here's my scalloped corn receipe.
    2 cans creamed corn (Place in a baking dish)
    1/2 C. milk
    Crushed crackers to thicken (will also thicken in oven)
    salt and pepper

stir all together and dot the top with margarine.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour--and Enjoy!

Jlily

Posted by: blubelle z7 brownfieldTX (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 11:48

Here's a version of a kicked up broccoli casserole
    Broccoli casserole

1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 froz box of choppped broccoli
    2 cups rice
    1 lg jar of cheez whiz
    1 small jar mexican cheese whiz
    1/2 sauteed onions

Cook rice according to directions. Mix in cheese, soup, onions in large bowl with cooked rice(may need to put in microwave or on stove to melt cheese), next mix in broccoli and bake 350' for 30 mins.
    Some substitutions you can use:
    Cheeses- can use Velveeta or store brand
    Can add jalapenos instead of mexican cheez whiz

Posted by: klynnnn z8 SC USA (My Page) on Sun, Nov 23, 03 at 11:50

>>>> Here's a version of a kicked up broccoli casserole Signed,

blu"BAM!"belle

;)

Posted by: blubelle z7 brownfieldTX (My Page) on Mon, Nov 24, 03 at 1:39

Ok so I like spicy stuff. LOL Not everything I cook is spicy I promise.

Bumping it up RE: Sharing a favorite Thanksgiving Recipe...please
    Posted by: babblingbetty (My Page) on Mon, Nov 24, 03 at 7:09

This one is too good to lose in the shuffle with only a few days until Thanksgiving....so can we bump the "Turkey" up!

Posted by: amberjill_nc 7 NC (My Page) on Tue, Nov 25, 03 at 17:43

We could skip the turkey, tatoes, corn and all, but if these weren't on the menu there would be a walkout at Thanksgiving dinner!
    CRANBERRY CUPCAKES WITH BUTTER SAUCE
    1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup evaporated milk
    Mix above ingredients, then add
    1 cup flour
    1/2 Teaspoon salt
    1 Teaspoon Baking powder
    After stirring all together, add
    1 cup cranberries cut into half
    Bake at 350 degrees til golden brown...ok, now the best part is THE SAUCE!!!!
    SAUCE SAUCE SAUCE!
    1/4 lb butter
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup evap milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla....put in saucepan on med heat til melted. Continue heating until this comes to a slow boil. (or heat hotter temp, just make sure to watch and stir until boils)
    Pour this over the muffins while warm. Every year we all say we just want an IV bag hooked up with the sauce running into our veins, it is soooo good

Posted by: joelke 5 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 03 at 0:51

My son's favorite Scalloped Corn Casserole
    1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Dash of fresh ground black pepper
    1 cup crushed or crumbled saltine crackers
    1 Tablespoon minced onion
    1 can corn, drained
    1 can creamed corn (or use 2 cans whole corn drained)
    2 Tablespoons oleo
    mix all well
    Butter casserole dish, add ingredients and Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I have also added a 1 inch slice of Velveta cheese cubed. For a fluffier souffle dish, add 1 beaten egg when mixing ingredients together. I have also microwaved this with great success. DS loves this. Jo

Posted by: emptypockets GA (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 03 at 7:04

a friend shared this with me....i'm posting the web site for another look....enjoy
    Escalloped Corn

3/4 c butter softened
    8 oz sour crean
    2 eggs beaten
    1 can cream corn
    1 can whole kernel corn, do not drain
    1 pkg corn muffin mix (jiffy or betty crocker)
    Mix together all ingredients and pour into 2 1/2 qt casserole dish bake at 350 for 1 hour.....delicious

HD agrees....DELICIOUS

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipedude

Posted by: techsupport8 WI Z5 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 03 at 7:13

JLily - My Aunt told me about Scalloped Corn (made like yours) about 5 years ago. Her mother made it during the Depression and it brought back fond memories for her and my father. Now when we have it we call it Grampa Corn cuz my dad always waxes poetic about it when it's served.

Posted by: nutcase z7 TX (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 03 at 9:41

My family's favorite corn casserole. Nice and moist, with the "kick" of the Rotel.
    ZESTY CORN CASSEROLE

1 Cup Macaroni (Dry)
    1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
    1 Cup Chopped Onion
    1 Can Whole Kernel Corn (do not drain)
    1 Can Cream Style Corn
    1 Cup Velvetta Cheese, Cubed
    1/4 Cup Margarine

Combine all ingredients and place in 9x13 greased baking dish. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes and bake in a 350-degree oven. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes uncovered to give casserole a slightly crusty top.
    Yeild: 8 servings

Recipe can be doubled.

Posted by: JLily Z6 (My Page) on Fri, Nov 28, 03 at 14:24

Techsupport-You are right about this scalloped corn being an oldie but goodie. Both my Mom and her mom made it before me. My daughter now makes it-and my granddaughter just learned to make it. And we still like it! Enjoy! Jlily

Posted by: Susiebelle z8bTX (My Page) on Fri, Nov 28, 03 at 22:24

I made my sweet potatoes with Kimmy's topping on them yesterday. They were yummy! The kids loved them. I had left-overs tonight for supper and they were still good.
    Susie

Posted by: techsupport8 WI Z5 (My Page) on Fri, Nov 28, 03 at 23:21

Unfortunately, I was sick as a dog for Thanksgiving. I'm really glad I wasn't hosting this year - that would have been a disaster. I feel cheated out of a great meal that my sister-in-law slaved over and I couldn't even look at. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a turkey and all the fixins so I can enjoy it this weekend.
    It was one of those 24 hours bugs, cuz today I'm fine. And I'm the one in our family that NEVER gets sick!

Posted by: babblingbetty (My Page) on Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 6:57

Whewwwwwwwwwwwww...Techsupport! I certainly hope your feeling better...those 24 hour things can seem like months! But, guess what! You'll get a better price on that TURKEY...with that kinda savings prehaps you can pickup your Christmas bird too!

Posted by: FoxesEarth z8 swGA (My Page) on Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 10:21

I made emptypockets' corn casserole last night -- I forgot the eggs, either when I jotted it down or in the preparation, but the Grands loved it anyway, with ham and turnip greens. And I could only find one can of whole kernel corn, no creamed corn. It was still delicious! I used Jiffy Mix. I'm not fond of JM as regular cornbread, but it makes a wonderful base for other good things.

re: sharing a favorite thanksgiving recipe...snack time!
    Posted by: BradinIowa 5 Ia (My Page) on Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 12:26

One of my families favorite snack is a pickle wrapped in layers of corned beef that has been spread with cream cheese, then sliced......YUMMY!

Posted by: FoxesEarth z8 swGA (My Page) on Sat, Dec 6, 03 at 20:11

Don't want the recipes to age off, just yet.

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Sound like we will all get fat just re-reading this list!

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

Nona,
    Fun Bump!
    I'll dig out my two favorites: Cape Cod Cranberry Sauce (even my kids love this cranberry sauce) and Cranberry Apple Crisp. So easy!
    We're under major construction, so I'll be making reservations this year. A bit disappointed, but I'll just do a Thanksgiving Spread for Christmas.
    ~Nancy

• babblingbetty
    17 years ago

Hey, OldRusty...you go girlllll! Glad someone else was able to step up to the "roaster" this year! I've had to squeeze a few extra hours in at work (48 into a 5 day schedule)to get ready for Christmas and help take care of some unexpected HD medical bills. Whew--------when it's done...and the table is set..call me, I'll say Grace!

• lefd05
    17 years ago

We have our annual Thanksgiving dinner at the fire station on Wednesday. I'm supposed to bring the corn so I'm going to use a couple of the above recipes for it rather than just heating up plain corn.
    I have no idea what I will do for Thanksgiving Day. Its just myself and my husband and after going to the fire station dinner we don't usually feel like the usual Thanksgiving fare. Sometimes I will just fix up a bunch of dips and snack items and we snack all day.:)

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

Well, I suspect I will be making MOST of the dinner at my daughters house several hours from here....but the turkey will be bought and cooked at the local supermarket..not the way I envisioned..but she is about three months preg and sick as a dog as the smell or sight of chicken..so she is afraid to try turkey and risk a ruined holiday at her home...so...we bought cooked turkey from the super for the rest of us and she will try ham :)....the rest of the menu is yet to be decided..but I am going to try that cranberry coffee cake for breakfast!!!!

• barbara_now
    17 years ago

Here's my favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas recipe. I've been making this stuff for almost forty years and there have actually been some years I've doubled it!

Cranberry Salad

1 lb. cranberries, ground raw
    1 pound miniature marshmallows
    1 regular size can crushed pineapple well drained
    1 cup pecans chopped
    1 cup sugar...in recent years I've cut that down by about half and Splenda can also be used instead
    About two cups Cool Whip or a carton of whipping cream, whipped. I think that's all....lol Combine all ingredients, stir and refrigerate. Mmmmm, so yummy.

Barbara

• use2bcapecodr
    17 years ago

Whew...I haven't posted in quite awhile...it took forever. They forgot all about me evidently! Boo hoo!

Has anyone tried Dear Abby's Famous Pecan Pie recipe? It sounds good, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Nancy, what is your recipe for Cape Cod Cranberry Sauce?

~Sandy~

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Thank you, oldrustybucket, for finding this thread, and for sharing it. Lots of good stuff in there.

I tried to save it, but something won't let me save it on my computer, so I printed it out. Makes a nice little book. LOL

Janie

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Won't y'all to know I made BRADINIOWA's "Baked Corn Casserole" yesterday, and substituted a can of yellow Hominy for the cream-style corn cuz I didn't want to go out for just one can of corn. Thought I had it on hand but didn't. I have been making different recipes for corn casserole for years, but never found one I wanted to repeat. I just found it yesterday. This recipe has been added to my Thanksgiving menu from now one. It was fabulous.

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

Bump....we'll need these soon!

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I was hoping for a post like this! I'm going to try some of the above recipes! My wife Carol does the turkey and mashed potatoes. (She leaves the skins on! YUM! She made me a meal when we were dating and served her potatoes! Love at first bite! LOL) I make all of the side dishes for Thanksgiving. Here are a few of my family's favorites.

This pumpkin pie was one my late mother used to make. It's light and fluffy... custardlike. YUM! You gotta try it!

Moms Pumpkin Pie

2 eggs slightly beaten
    2 cups pureed pumpkin
    ¾ cup sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    ½ tsp. ginger
    ¼ tsp. cloves
    1 2/3 cup canned milk
    1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Mix ingredients in order given. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees. Continue baking about 45 minutes or until silver knife comes out clean ½ way between edge and center of pie.

Note: To prepare pumpkin, Mom would cut pumpkin into pieces and boil it until fork goes in pumpkin easily. Cool and rinse. Peel off skin.

This is a modified version of the green bean casserole people make for the holidays. The swiss cheese adds a great taste!

Swiss-Style Green Bean Casserole

1 Can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1/3 cup milk
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    2 cans (14 ½ oz. each) cut green beans drained OR 2 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen cut green beans, thawed
    1 1/3 cups FrenchÂs Taste Toppers French fried onions, divided
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

1. Combine soup, milk, sour cream and pepper in a 1 ½ quart baking dish. Stir until blended. Stir in beans, 2/3 cup onions and cheese.
    2. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot. Stir. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 minutes or until onions are golden.

* We love mushrooms; so I add a cup of fresh, sliced mushroom before I bake the dish.

Another Mom recipe. I always take Jello Salad to potlucks and make it for the holidays.

Jello Pretzel Salad

1st Layer:
    1 ½ cups crushed pretzels
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup melted butter Press in 9 X 13 baking dish. (I spray dish with Pam.) Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool.

2nd Layer:
    12 oz. Cool Whip
    8 oz. pkg. soft cream cheese
    Whip until fluffy. Spread on cool pretzel layer.

3rd Layer:
    1 large pkg. strawberry Jello
    2 cups hot water
    2 pkg. (small) frozen strawberries (OR 1 large pkg.)

Dissolve Jello and strawberries. Let jell slightly and pour on top of 2nd Layer. We like nuts so I sprinkle chopped nuts on top.

Boy, I'm getting hungry typing up these recipes! I can't wait to see more of your recipes! Besides gardening and art, I love cooking! Kirk

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I have to bump this up with Thanksgiving coming up. Everyone has such great recipes! Kirk

• shysue
    16 years ago

Oh, I remember this thread from last year, before I was brave enough to join in. I love it. Here is a different kind of green bean casserole that is one of my family's favorites.

Green Bean Casserole

4 cans French style green beans
    ¼ c. butter
    ¼ c. flour
    ½ tsp. salt
    ½ c. chopped onions
    2 c. cubed Velveeta cheese
    2 c. sour cream
    ½ small pkg. Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix
    ½ c. butter

Drain two cans of beans, then spread into a greased
    9x13" baking dish. Let other two cans of beans drain
    while preparing sauce.

Melt ¼ c. butter. Add flour and salt. Stir until smooth.
    Add onions and cook over low heat until tender. Combine
    cheese and sour cream with butter/flour mixture. Stir until
    thickened and cheese has melted. Pour cheese sauce
    over beans in baking dish. Top with remaining beans.

Melt ½ c. butter and mix with stuffing mix. Sprinkle over
    top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Everyone in my family loves this pie...except me. I'm not in to the gooey real sweet things like they are. If we didn't have this for Thanksgiving...they probably wouldn't come back the following year! LOL

SANDY'S CHOCOLATE-CHIP PECAN PIE

1 9 in. unbaked pie shell, my recipe
    1 full cup chopped pecans
    2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    3/4 cup dark corn syrup
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. salt

Put pie shell in freezer to chill.

In a small bowl, combine pecans and chocolate chips, toss and set aside.

In a med. bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add the butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Whisk 1 min., blending.

Place half of chocolate-pecan micture on bottom of chilled pie shell. Pour in half of the filling. Scatter remaining pecan mixture into crust and top with remaining filling.

Bake at 350° until the filling has set and the top has browned...about 1 hr.

Cool on wire rack 1 hr. before serving.

MOM'S PIE CRUST

This comes from the 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook I was given as a going-away gift when I moved from Worcester, Mass. to Cape Cod when I was 12 yrs. old.. I have never seen it anywhere else. It makes the best pie crust I have ever had...and it's the easiest to make.

"Stir-N-Roll" pastry. Tender, flaky, golden brown pastry that stays crisp and fresh. Never crumbly. Never tough. Wonderful for fruit, berry, cream and meat pies"

Two-Crust Pie

Mix together:
    2 cups sifted flour
    1 tsp. salt

Pour into measuring cup (but don't stir together):
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup cold milk

Pour all at once into flour. Stir lightly until mixed. Round up, divide in halves. Flatten each half slightly.

`````````````````````````````````
    For bottom crust:

Place one half of dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper (12 in. square). Roll out gently until circle reaches edges of paper. If bottom paper begins to wrinkle, turn and roll on other side.

Peel off top paper. If dough cracks or breaks, easily mend by pressing edges together or by pressing a scrap of dough lightly over tear. Don't moisten.

Pick up bottom paper at top corneres; dough will stick to paper. Place paper-side up in 8 or 9 in. pie plate. Carefully peel off paper. Gently ease and fit pastry into pan. Trim even with rim.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
    For top crust:

Roll other half of dough for top crust as above. Place over desired filling. Trim to rim, or tuck edges under edges of bottom crust and seal using fingers or the tines of a fork.

Bake until golden brown.

Temperature: 425° (hot oven)
    Time: Bake about 40 min.

``````````````````````````````````````
    Pie Shell

1 1/3 cup sifted flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 tbs. milk

Roll out as for bottom crust above. After placing rolled dough in pie pan, prick bottom and sides very thoroughly with fork. Bake until golden brown.

Temperature: 475° (very hot oven)
    Time: Bake 8 to 10 min.

And...Angel Pie is to die for! I've been making this one for years! It's a great one for Christmas!

ANGEL PIE

4 egg whites
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup confectionary sugar
    2 large pkg. frozen strawberries, defrosted & drained
    1 pint heavy cream
    4 tbs. sugar

Beat egg whites until stiff and then add, gradually, alternating first the granulated and then the confectionary sugar, beating slowly all the time. Put mixture into a buttered and floured (large, deep) pie plate .

Bake at 325° for 45 min. The center of the pie will drop as it cools.

Beat heavy cream until almost ready. Add 4 tbs. sugar and beat until ready. Fold in the drained strawberries. Pour mixture into the pie shell.

Chill for at least 4 to 6 hours before serving.